Author Topic: Woj's source: "If Chris wants Kevin Garnett, they'll push hard for it."  (Read 8757 times)

Re: Woj's source: "If Chris wants Kevin Garnett, they'll push hard for it."
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
what's the fascination with Eric Blesoe?  Is it just because he happens to be one of the only young expendable assets on a contending team?  I don't get it ...

he's one of the most athletic and productive per minute point guards in the league. He's Bradley with offensive skills.
But we already have a top 5 point guard in Rondo and a very capable backup point guard in Avery Bradley.  Do we need a 3rd backup?... or would this be the precursor to a Rondo or Bradley trade?

Bradley's normally our starting sg.

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2013, 01:58:12 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
what's the fascination with Eric Blesoe?  Is it just because he happens to be one of the only young expendable assets on a contending team?  I don't get it ... 

He's about as valuable as any late 1st rounder isn't he?

In his last 10 games, Bledsoe has averaged 12.5 pts, 5.5 assists, 3.1 rebs and 1.9 steals while shooting 44% in 29 minutes a game.

In his last 10 games, Kyrie Irving has averaged 22.8 pts, 5.1 assists, 4 rebs and 1.4 steals while shooting 46% in 34 minutes a game.

Bledsoe might not be a future Hall of Famer, but he's a pretty darn promising young player.

Mike

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:10 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

he's one of the most athletic and productive per minute point guards in the league. He's Bradley with offensive skills.
But we already have a top 5 point guard in Rondo and a very capable backup point guard in Avery Bradley.  Do we need a 3rd backup?... or would this be the precursor to a Rondo or Bradley trade?

More likely it would be a precursor to a Bledsoe trade in the offseason - he gets the last part of the season to show his chops as a starting PG and then gets packed off for a pick in the upcoming draft (which is pretty bereft of PG's from my understanding) or as a part of a sign and trade.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 02:01:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bledsoe might not be a future Hall of Famer, but he's a pretty darn promising young player.

Mike
He is, but when CP3 was out he shot 40% as a starter and the overall team offense fell into total disarray.

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think they have time to lobby KG to waive his no-trade clause before the deadline.  His will is not going to crumble that quickly.  I do think that they will really try to pressure him in the off-season and we're going to be hearing more of this in June.  If the Celtics trade KG at that point, then it might signal the team going into "blow it up" mode and also dealing Pierce, while the expiring contract of Caron Butler might become a more desirable asset than DeAndre Jordan.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 02:06:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Mike
He is, but when CP3 was out he shot 40% as a starter and the overall team offense fell into total disarray.

He looked pretty good when he torched the celtics for 23, 10, and 7 on 60% shooting in Boston as a starter.

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Mike

He looked pretty good when he torched the celtics for 23, 10, and 7 on 60% shooting in Boston as a starter.
Yup, sign him up to a max contract, he'll be the next LeBron James. Just needs some of that magic juice to grow another 6 inches or so.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Mike

This is my primary concern with Bledsoe.

He is a superb backup, but a poor starter.  Players like this usually get a bunch of money and are forced into a starting role, making them look bad.

I'd like to see Bledsoe get Jarrett Jack-type money and be a backup/sixth man/closer for a team.  That would be a good role for him.

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

Mike

Still put up his tremendous non-scoring numbers though.  The scoring ability is still a little raw, a la Kyle Lowry at a similar stage, but I don't think the 40% shooting is particularly danging.

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Mike

Still put up his tremendous non-scoring numbers though.  The scoring ability is still a little raw, a la Kyle Lowry at a similar stage, but I don't think the 40% shooting is particularly danging.
5 rebs and 5 assists in 34 MPG doesn't strike me as awesome, especially again when your team's offense fell completely apart.

His stint as a starter showed how far he still has to go, and the fact that CP3 is playing ahead of him means he'll likely need to have those growing pains somewhere else.

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 02:26:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

More likely it would be a precursor to a Bledsoe trade in the offseason - he gets the last part of the season to show his chops as a starting PG and then gets packed off for a pick in the upcoming draft (which is pretty bereft of PG's from my understanding) or as a part of a sign and trade.
Actually I would think it would be Rondo that would get traded once he is back.  That would put Boston into full bore rebuilding heading into what looks like a very deep draft in 2014.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

Mike

5 rebs and 5 assists in 34 MPG doesn't strike me as awesome, especially again when your team's offense fell completely apart.

His stint as a starter showed how far he still has to go, and the fact that CP3 is playing ahead of him means he'll likely need to have those growing pains somewhere else.

The 5 boards, 2.5 steals and 1+ blocks at the PG position were what caught my eye.  Some special talent right there.

Stepping into CP3's shoes as a floor general is a tough task - Bledsoe isn't the kind of guy who can dominate an offense as thoroughly as the Clips need with their roster, but that doesn't mean he can't thrive in a less PG-centric system.

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

Actually I would think it would be Rondo that would get traded once he is back.  That would put Boston into full bore rebuilding heading into what looks like a very deep draft in 2014.

Doubt it - his value will still be deflated with the knee injury.  Bledsoe, if he played well over the stretch run with us, would likely be the better sell high: healthy, one more year on the rookie deal and then RFA.

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
lost in the nitpicking of bledsoe and jordan's games is this:

regardless of what you think of either player, they are essentially the only young assets on likely the only team where KG might be convinced to go. It's nearly impossible to find another fit where 1) KG might say 'yes', and 2) the team has a better package than bledsoe and jordan.

my point: if wyc, danny and the Cs organization make a fundamental decision to begin trading away their veterans now in an effort to compile value for them before it's too late, we're stuck with these two gentlemen.

bledsoe may not be kyrie irving, but a variety of NBA teams, players and pundits sure seem to think he can get better / become an above average NBA point guard.

he doesn't need to be an all-star to be a trade asset, no matter how little we as fans want to see KG go. I've said repeatedly I'd like to see the clips take bass if we're to take jordan, but regardless, bledsoe and jordan is a pretty decent haul of youth and talent considering how uniquely difficult the prospect of trading KG really is.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2013, 03:01:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
my point: if wyc, danny and the Cs organization make a fundamental decision to begin trading away their veterans now in an effort to compile value for them before it's too late, we're stuck with these two gentlemen.
We're not "stuck" with anything when they retire.

But if we do trade them, we're stuck with Jordan's horrible contract and so-so performance.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."