Author Topic: Crazy like a fox blockbuster BOS/ATL/LAC/LAL  (Read 2728 times)

Crazy like a fox blockbuster BOS/ATL/LAC/LAL
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
I constructed this trade based on several premises, and believe that this addresses both immediate and future needs for all 4 teams involved. A lot of players, and big names at that are involved, but almost all have been rumored to be on the move in one way or the other. I think Boston would be smart to just go overhaul-mode, considering all the injuries. I'm a realist in the sense that this team does not have the depth-chart to make a solid championship run, IMO. The trade, although borderline insane, is kind of mad scientist insane, and doesn't appear to be totally one sided for any one team.

Boston Trades:

Paul Pierce    (Clippers)
Kevin Garnett   (Clippers)
Jason Terry     (Lakers)
Brandon Bass  (Hawks)
Fab Melo        (Hawks)

Boston Receives:

Al Horford
Josh Smith
Lamar Odom
Eric Bledsoe

Atlanta Trades:

Josh Smith
Al Horford
Kyle Korver
Devin Harris
Anthony Toliver

Atlanta Receives:

Dwight Howard
Caron Butler
Metta World Peace
Brandon Bass
Fab Melo
1st round pick from LAC

Los Angeles Clippers Trade:

Eric Bledsoe
DeAndre Jordan
Caron Butler
Ronny Turiaf
Lamar Odom
1st round pick (to ATL)

Los Angeles Clippers Receive:

Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Steve Blake
Anthony Toliver

Los Angeles Lakers Trade:

Dwight Howard
Metta World Peace
Steve Blake

Los Angeles Lakers Receive:

DeAndre Jordan
Devin Harris
Jason Terry
Kyle Korver
Ronny Turiaf

Like I said, a lot of names floating around. To me it makes sense for all teams though.

Why for Boston?
Too many injuries to really be able to go for it. I think KG will waive his no-trade clause if he can be moved to LAC with Paul Pierce. KG has a home their, Pierce is from there. We get a massive haul of talent in return in Hordford/Bledsoe/Smith. Odoms expiring deal allows us to throw at least another 1-3 million more per season at Smith on a long-term, close to max deal. Some $$$ will be left to also try to extend Bradley/Bledsoe. Bass and Terry no longer fit in the equation, and their contracts are moved.

Why for LAC?

The Clippers become one of the instant favorites to win a title NOW, which is not a position their franchise is used to being in. It does cost them Jordan/Bledsoe/Butler and parts, but I think they make that trade all day. KG/PP give them the nastiest starting 5 (KG/Griffin/Pierce/Crawford/CP3). They give up quite a bit for this short window, but it likely pans out for them.

Why for Atlanta?

Dwight Howard. They've been after him for a while, and this is a buy-low opportunity. He's already worn out his welcome in L.A. Atlanta trades Hordford for Howard all day long. Smith/Harris/Korvers expiring deals have higher value, but not to ATL, who will likely have trouble retaining all 3 of them. Harris is overpaid, and Korver is up and down. They get Caron Butler, World Peace, Brandon Bass, and and prospect in Fab Melo, as well as a 1st rounder from LAC. This hurts Atlanta this season, especially if they want to shut Howard down. He would likely appreciate that, and agree to re-sign to his home-town team.

Why for the Lakers?

Dwight is hurt, and I think his welcome is worn out to the point that he doesn't want to be there either. The Lakers know they run a huge risk not trading him, considering this seasons failures and frustrations. His value may never be lower. They get DeAndre Jordan, who is healthy and can help them turn their season around. Jordan's contract isn't too outrageous, and it is a 4-year deal. They also receives shooters in Korver/Harris/Terry, who bring experience, but not too much age either. Korver/Harris will both likely command less $$$ this offseason, and Terry's contract is reasonable. They also rid themselves of the high-risk World-Peace brings day to day. Blake's contract also gets unloaded. If things don't work out with Korver/Harris, they will have a lot of $$$ to go for a solid FA.

The Celtics likely miss the playoffs, or are 1 and done this season. The depth chart next year looks very promising though!

Rondo/Bledsoe/Bradley
Bradley/Lee/Bledsoe
Smith/Green/ wing FA
Sullinger/Smith/Green
Horford/ FA Center

Re: Crazy like a fox blockbuster BOS/ATL/LAC/LAL
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wow TP for ur time on this post!! :o...But i wouldnt do the trade if i was the celtics
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
Really?

I was thinking either Atlanta or LAL says no.

I figured the haul was automatic for both Boston and LAC.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:51:25 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
This would be the biggest trade of all time.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Someone should send a link to this forum topic to Danny Ainge.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
I personally wouldn't think twice as a Celtics fan.

Horford, for what he does, has one of the most reasonable contracts in the league, and its long-term.

We don't get Dwight, but we don't have to trade Rondo at all, and also don't get DeAndre Jordan as the centerpiece in trading KG. Bledsoe is the 6'1 cherry on top. Odom's deal allows the C's to appropriate another 1-4 million to Smith's already 13 mil and change annual salary, but free's up the rest (because of unloading Bass/Terry/Melo) to throw Courtney Lee type offers at at least 2 of Bradley/Sullinger/Bledsoe.

That would be one hell of a team to watch next year. A lot better than the likely Rondo show, also minus KG and maybe Pierce, when they both realize this team has peaked.

Dwight Howard would have to at least verbally agree to sign with ATL, but he would likely consider it with a pass-first PG in Teague, solid 2/3 in Butler, great defender in World Peace, and Bass at the 4. It becomes all about Dwight again.

The Lakers would be the hangnail, IMO. Kupchak is kind of in a corner right now. He very likely could lose his job if the Lakers all together miss the playoffs. Howard aint getting better this year, but if he is traded to ATL and shut down, he can recover. Jordan is healthy, and would fit alongside Pau/Kobe/Nash. The Lakers get perimeter guys in Terry/Korver and another solid PG in Harris, to actually go back to a team-ball type of offense that focuses again on Kobe, and Gasol in the post.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, I am impressed.

This is the triple decker of all trade ideas (lol!)

If I am the Celtics, I'd be very happy with the return.

I think the Celts and MAYBE the Lakers and Clips go for this.

The only team I could see putting up a fight is Atlanta.

Granted, they're getting Dwight but I don't know if I can see them trading BOTH Smoove and Horford.

If Ferry were to go for it though, this would be a trade talked about for YEARS to come!

Tommy Point!

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
We wouldn't keep Bledsoe for long. Also, smith and horford aren't the ideal pair, either.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
Wow, I am impressed.

Granted, they're getting Dwight but I don't know if I can see them trading BOTH Smoove and Horford.

If Ferry were to go for it though, this would be a trade talked about for YEARS to come!

Tommy Point!

Thanks dude.

Yeah, thing is though for ATL.....they wouldn't even be getting Dwight Howard if he weren't playing so bad this year. ATL has the same one and done core they've had for a few years now, and Ferry knows it. Smith is almost 100% not re-signing, and I think Korver/Harris are also likely gone once Smith bails. If Howard verbally commits to ATL, I don't think Ferry thinks too hard on this. They simply shut Howard down, which he would greatly appreciate, and needs, then max deal him. ATL sells out almost every game next season with the home-town hero as the cornerstone piece. Dwight gets a team that is AT LEAST as good as his Orlando roster's from year one.

Howard/Bass/World Peace/Butler/Teague is nothing to to laugh at. Lou Williams also comes back next year as their sixth man, and Stevenson is a solid rotational player. They would need to convince Pachulia to come back for cheap, and find a backup PG and PF. That team next year is a lot more solid looking than anything Ferry can draw up without a trade, IMO.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
LAL say no.

Horford Smith didnt work in Atlanta I wouldnt want to be the one to try it in Boston.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 09:34:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Really?

I was thinking either Atlanta or LAL says no.

I figured the haul was automatic for both Boston and LAC.

I was thinking they'd both say no.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 09:37:18 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
We wouldn't keep Bledsoe for long. Also, smith and horford aren't the ideal pair, either.

Like I said, Odom's expiring, plus also sending off PP/Terry/Bass/Melo, would free up enough money to offer 3-5 year extensions to BOTH Bradley and Bledsoe. Sully is locked up for a while, so there's no need to worry about him quite yet (not to mention his injury situation that may linger).

Bledsoe would be insane trade-bait if the Celtics weren't able to extend him in the next year.

I would rather have Horford/Smith for the next 5 years to compete with Rondo/Green/Bradley/Sully, than KG/PP for only the rest of this year and MAYBE 1 more.

What other time do you see teams get an opportunity to trade their blue-chippers, who are in the twilight of their careers for such a great return?

This is like 80-90 cents on the dollar in return, IMO, and aside from Smith making somewhere between 13-16 million (being a part of this type of team with his good friend Rondo, could likely get him to extend at his current rate on a 5 year deal, IMO), the Celtics would only have two other players making over 10 mil per season. Rondo/Horford play at absolute bargains for their production, and now Green is proving to be everything I expected.

This core would be competing for titles for 4 straight seasons.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, I am impressed.

Tommy Point!

Thanks dude.

Yeah, thing is though for ATL.....they wouldn't even be getting Dwight Howard if he weren't playing so bad this year. ATL has the same one and done core they've had for a few years now, and Ferry knows it. Smith is almost 100% not re-signing, and I think Korver/Harris are also likely gone once Smith bails. If Howard verbally commits to ATL, I don't think Ferry thinks too hard on this. They simply shut Howard down, which he would greatly appreciate, and needs, then max deal him. ATL sells out almost every game next season with the home-town hero as the cornerstone piece. Dwight gets a team that is AT LEAST as good as his Orlando roster's from year one.

Howard/Bass/World Peace/Butler/Teague is nothing to to laugh at. Lou Williams also comes back next year as their sixth man, and Stevenson is a solid rotational player. They would need to convince Pachulia to come back for cheap, and find a backup PG and PF. That team next year is a lot more solid looking than anything Ferry can draw up without a trade, IMO.

Yeah that's not a bad point. Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but if the Hawks dump that much salary, they could not only offer Dwight the max but also go after another max player like CP3, right? I think that's what Atlanta has always wanted to do.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Lots of work done but there's no way either the Hawks or Lakers do the deal.   Can tell this was put together by a Celtic fan that's for sure...

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
Lots of work done but there's no way either the Hawks or Lakers do the deal.   Can tell this was put together by a Celtic fan that's for sure...

Yeah, I mean, the Celtics are getting more of the "rebuild" type chips. I think right now KG is more valuable to the Celtics than Horford is for this season.....same could be said about Pierce compared to Josh Smith. Bledsoe/Odom's expiring come in to play and give the C's a haul they could not refuse. I think to really get this done, the Celtics would have to throw in a 1st rounder, and possibly explore moving Jared Sullinger to LAL, which I don't believe throws the deal off money-wise, or could be adjusted easily.

The more I look at it, the more I think the Hawks absolutely do it though. Dwight has been their organizations binkey since he threw out the idea that he wasn't going to stay with the Magic. They have basically made it public info that they will not retain Josh Smith. If Josh Smith was playing under a current 3 year deal, I agree, they say no way. They are already looking to get something for him. Break the trade down for ATL and you might think differently.

Horford: The only player that would be tough for them to part ways with.

Smith/Harris/Korver: All expirings, who they cannot even close to guarantee to bring back, to their organization; a team that has been more or less the same guys for a few seasons, and has produced the same results. The Hawks would be all over a chance to bring a true franchise/ticket selling type player in Dwight Howard. They also get Butler/World Peace/Brandon Bass to build a solid lineup around Howard/Teague, and additional building blocks in Melo/1st rounder......not a bad haul considering their situation, IMO.

Kupchak would be the holdup on this trade, but looking at it through a Laker lense RIGHT NOW:

The fanbase wants to raid the front office with pitchforks and torches; they are sore losers, who expected a ring (and so did most of us) sooner/this year, rather than later with the amazing lineup. They rushed Howard back, and now he's playing at "80 percent".....more like 70%, considering how dominant he has been in the past.

The haul the Lakers brings in allows them to turn it around THIS SEASON, bringing in more upper-crust role player types to surround Kobe/Pau. Nash has been too up and down to be considered a main part of what they do. Getting Devin Harris, who would be a prolific passer/scorer in his own right in this lineup, would really give the Lakers PG's they haven't had with Kobe for most of his career.  Terry is a perfect rotational player for their bench, and he and Korver become the outside shooting/floor spreading element that they have been missing all season.

DeAndre Jordan doesn't come close to Dwight Howard, but stats-wise, he's already playing at Howards numbers, and is not experiencing current injury problems. He is still young and developing his game. In Laker-terms, he is a fairly contract-friendly big-man, and gives them athleticism/defense (not so much low-post dominance) that would work very well alongside Gasol, IMO. There's too many cooks in the kitchen in LA-LA land right now.....this trade gives the Lakers a team blueprint that brought them winning records/championships in the past.