Poll

What was your honest opinion of Uncle Drew?

Hall of Fame material.
10 (25.6%)
Bust (Injury prone).
6 (15.4%)
Decent Player.
23 (59%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: What did you think of Kyrie Irving when he was drafted?  (Read 5817 times)

Re: What did you think of Kyrie Irving when he was drafted?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I thought he was the clear #1 pick in that draft, but didn't think he would be anywhere near as good as he has been.  I thought that draft was pretty weak going into it and thought he would be more like a Kenny Anderson (pre-injury) type player i.e. pretty good but nothing special.  He is clearly special and has a chance to go down as one of the all time greats if he stays healthy and keeps progressing like he has.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I didn't have much of a thought on him, since he missed most of his college season. 

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
"If he stays healthy"
Could be said of so many players in so many sports.
I remember endless threads on celticsblog comparing Tmac to PP, and that troublesome phrase would often appear.
Anyway, in Irving's case I'm with Chris. Didn't know what to make of him and still don't.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 10:18:30 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I thought he was unproven having only played 7 or 8 college games.

I was wrong. He is the real deal and the Cavs made the right choice.

If anyone is worthy enough to be run the next era for the Cavs, Irving is a credible candidate.

Kyrie may be the most complete player in the NBA....one day.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I thought he'd suck.  Boy was I wrong.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Thought he'd be okay, nothing special.

I was wrong as well.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:30 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Kid was born in Aus.... of course he was gonna be good. :P

I thought he would be good. Not this good though, one of my favorite players to watch. 100 mil contract anyone?

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 01:18:30 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
thought he would be an elite point guard. i was right.

also thought derrick williams and enes kanter would both be busts. i was right.

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 01:30:34 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
thought he would be an elite point guard. i was right.

also thought derrick williams and enes kanter would both be busts. i was right.

Way too early on Kanter. Williams...I still have hope, but it's dwindling fast.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 02:01:33 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I wonder if Clipper fans are sitting around thinking, "Man we could of had Kyrie Irving to team with Blake Griffin, but instead we have to settle for Chris Paul."

Lol, obviously things are working out pretty well for the Clippers, but I still can't believe they traded that pick away.  Trading away a pick that turns into a guy like Irving is the kind of thing that would haunt most franchises for years.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 02:25:19 AM »

fitzhickey

Kid was born in Aus.... of course he was gonna be good. :P

I thought he would be good. Not this good though, one of my favorite players to watch. 100 mil contract anyone?
You got that right (first bit)
I was excited for him, (more for the prospect of a partially Aussie star) an thought he could be awesome, but not this awesome,

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 02:29:42 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I wonder if Clipper fans are sitting around thinking, "Man we could of had Kyrie Irving to team with Blake Griffin, but instead we have to settle for Chris Paul."

Lol, obviously things are working out pretty well for the Clippers, but I still can't believe they traded that pick away.  Trading away a pick that turns into a guy like Irving is the kind of thing that would haunt most franchises for years.

I dunno, but my opinion is that the Clippers are better off with Paul - he's still the better passer, the better leader, and the more mature player. Paul-Griffin is better than Kyrie-Griffin, even though the second tandem is a lot younger.

It's a give or take thing, but the Clippers are contending now. It isn't 100% that the Clippers would be this caliber or better with Kyrie. CP3 has that winning aura.

Yeah, the future would be brighter, but it's probably bright enough as is.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 02:42:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I dunno, but my opinion is that the Clippers are better off with Paul - he's still the better passer, the better leader, and the more mature player. Paul-Griffin is better than Kyrie-Griffin, even though the second tandem is a lot younger.

It's a give or take thing, but the Clippers are contending now. It isn't 100% that the Clippers would be this caliber or better with Kyrie. CP3 has that winning aura.

Yeah, the future would be brighter, but it's probably bright enough as is.

Yeah, but there is a chance CP3 walks next year. There is no chance Irving would be going anywhere, and at a third the price.

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 04:10:45 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
"If he stays healthy"
I remember endless threads on celticsblog comparing Tmac to PP, and that troublesome phrase would often appear.
Anyway, in Irving's case I'm with Chris. Didn't know what to make of him and still don't.

I've always thought that Tracy McGrady, in his prime, was one of the most under-appreciated players of our time. One on one, I've never seen a more dangerous player. Faster than anyone taller, taller than anyone faster, stronger than he looked, athetlically as gifted as anyone we've seen. A truly unguardable force. On top of that, a much better rebounder, defender, and above all passer the given credit for.

Put his best year next to Kobe's, and he easily bests him:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=mcgratr01&y1=2003&p2=bryanko01&y2=2006

Timing was just never right for the guy, and his teammates were always hurt of nonexistent. We kept waiting for post-season success and never appreciated the brilliance that was before us.

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 04:25:01 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
"If he stays healthy"

I've always thought that Tracy McGrady, in his prime, was one of the most under-appreciated players of our time. One on one, I've never seen a more dangerous player. Faster than anyone taller, taller than anyone faster, stronger than he looked, athetlically as gifted as anyone we've seen. A truly unguardable force. On top of that, a much better rebounder, defender, and above all passer the given credit for.

Put his best year next to Kobe's, and he easily bests him:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=mcgratr01&y1=2003&p2=bryanko01&y2=2006

Timing was just never right for the guy, and his teammates were always hurt of nonexistent. We kept waiting for post-season success and never appreciated the brilliance that was before us.

hate when blokes like T Mac and Grant Hill just get abused by innjuries. crazy good players in their day