Author Topic: We absolutely should trade KG and Pierce!!!!!  (Read 13822 times)

Re: We absolutely should trade KG and Pierce!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
The op is dead wrong. This is not a team of Bird, Parish, Mchale and a bunch of nobodies.

Even without KG and PP , this team could still contend for the 6th to 8th place and make the playoffs. That is like being one big or two more key pieces away from having a chance to make some noise.

Without KG and PP

Starting: Sully - Bass - Green - Bradley - Rondo
Bench: Lee- Melo - Jet - Barbosa - 2 Forward pickups

Again this would be still a very good team. If you take away bass , place him on the bench and get an elite PF/Sf, you got a very good team that is not rebuild quality.

With all due respect, I've got to disagree. I just don't think a team of Sully, Rondo, Green, Bass and AB is that good.

If you insert a player like Dwight or Smoove into that mix, then maybe. But if you just simply subtract KG and Pierce from our roster, then all you have is one talented but overrated point guard a bunch of decent role players. That team wins maybe 40 games and that's it

So you disagree but go on to say they could win 40 games?...so you pretty much agreed

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
If nothing goes down I will return soon to say i told you so.

Now is a crucial time for this franchise.
And if something goes down and we get young scrubs for #5 & 34 and in 2-3 years we're the Bobcats part II will you come back and let others say "I told you so?"
Peace through Tyranny

Re: We absolutely should trade KG and Peirce!!!!!
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think far to many are to young on this board to remember how holding onto Bird, Parish, and Mchale set us back a generation.  I for one do not want to watch another 10 years of that again. Please, Danny do not make the same mistake.  He of anyone should know.  I have watched the preseason this year and a few early games.  Enough to see this is a 500 team, not going anywhere.  It's like watching the Pistons die again.

KG was a champ and so was Pierce.  Players who get older never get better.  Lottery teams take many moons to rebuild.

This moment is a golden opportunity for Boston.

I was of the idea Pierce should have gone two years ago.  I was very surprised last year by the run.  That was all because of youth stepping up.  Remember where we were headed before Bradley started to assert himself.

When I see that front page letter as an open Letter I scream NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny, please don't let it happen again.

What set us back a generation was bad management (like Pitino), health problems (Lewis), and drug problems (Bias), to go along a slew of other problems like Vin Baker's alcoholism.

Holding to Parish, Bird, and McHale for too long are not the reason for our level of irrelevance through an era.

We didn't hold on to Bird for too long. We were contenders when he was healthy and wouldn't have been if we'd replaced him with any assets we could have traded him for. You don't close the window on a contending team in order to start your rebuild a year or two early.

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
don't believe the rumors... at their age, we can't get anything of substantial value for KG or Pierce... and neither would sign off on a trade anyways.

Just enjoy the last months of these old dogs and hope for the best.

I know you're all salivating over the prospect of losing one of our best players for the great eric bledsoe, but if tanking is your grand plan, you're better off just letting them retire and coming up empty handed.

The response to this is easy.  If you are correct, then obviously you are best off keepign PP and KG and awaiting cap space.   If you aren't correct, you entertain the value offered and consider the jump-started rebuild.

I see both KG and PP as extremely attractive pieces to at least a 1/2 dozen contenders (or almost contenders).  They not only bring their talent, they bring a winning spirit and leadership.  Trade future value for present value (if present value takes you to contention) is smart business in the NBA.  But, of course, I could be wrong.
They are attractive pieces if we are giving them away for cheap... and I don't see the point in that.  Nobody is giving up a valuable asset for possibly a half season of KG or Pierce.  The time to trade Pierce would have been 1 or two years ago... and according to rumors we absolutely tried to do that, but Pierce killed the deal.  We supposedly tried to trade him to the Nets last season for their lotto pick, but Pierce put a stop to it... probably by threatening retirement or something.   

He's a year older, less valuable... and I don't see why this would be any different.  Neither are going anywhere and we aren't getting anything much from them anyways.  So just enjoy the months we have left of them.  Probably like 15 months at most.  Just enjoy it.

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
no way you take squat for two Hall of Fame players that still bring it. and help fill the seats.

Pierce and KG is a once a life time deal.

I hope they  play for the Celtics as long as they feel like suiting up.   long as they want a spot on the team, I'll support them.

Love watching them , they are the heart and soul of this club........they still make everybody else better.

Wyc and DA won' t be dumb enough to do this .

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
lets face it... Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler aren't walking through that door, folks.  You'll have to make due with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Indeed they won't.

They don't have the bizarre fascination some board posters have with putting together a team of scrubs, and then posting incessantly trying to convince each other that said scrubs can actually play.

See 2006 and 2007 on this very blog.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2013, 04:51:01 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
lets face it... Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler aren't walking through that door, folks.  You'll have to make due with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce

Dagnabbit I'm so shattered about that.

**Sarcasm meter explodes, sending shards of sarcasm into the atmosphere.**

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The op is dead wrong. This is not a team of Bird, Parish, Mchale and a bunch of nobodies.

Even without KG and PP , this team could still contend for the 6th to 8th place and make the playoffs. That is like being one big or two more key pieces away from having a chance to make some noise.

Without KG and PP

Again this would be still a very good team. If you take away bass , place him on the bench and get an elite PF/Sf, you got a very good team that is not rebuild quality.

With all due respect, I've got to disagree. I just don't think a team of Sully, Rondo, Green, Bass and AB is that good.

If you insert a player like Dwight or Smoove into that mix, then maybe. But if you just simply subtract KG and Pierce from our roster, then all you have is one talented but overrated point guard a bunch of decent role players. That team wins maybe 40 games and that's it

So you disagree but go on to say they could win 40 games?...so you pretty much agreed

i agree. With 40 wins, you are around the 6th to 8th place area. So how could a team that makes the playoffs be considered dead in the water?? It would just take one key FA signing to get us to be pretty darn good again

Last time i checked  Green, Bradley and now Sully are not only so called role players. These guys are starters. Sully is on his way to be a 10/10 guy, Jeff Green 15 pts/6-8 boards/5 assists for a sf and bradley doesn't have to do jack , except defend like a hound to help your team.

Instead of Bass we sign Josh Smith or trade Rondo , get a legit PF , we can remain a dangerous team. Better than atl or 76rs at least

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501

Without KG and PP

I would be stunned if that roster won 40 games.  Losing PP and KG not only takes away 2 of their 3 most talented players, but team changes dramatically in leadership and culture. It is unknown how others fill the leadership gap and how the culture changes. 

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Without KG and PP

I would be stunned if that roster won 40 games.  Losing PP and KG not only takes away 2 of their 3 most talented players, but team changes dramatically in leadership and culture. It is unknown how others fill the leadership gap and how the culture changes.

It is unknown i agree. But i bet if Jeff Green had to be the go to guy, he would do a more than decent job. He can post or take his man off the dribble. Also a decent shooter that can get even better in clutch situations. You try to double team him and thats ok, bc he is a fantastic passer. Terry is still a very capable clutch guy. We don't know about Sully but he hasn't be given the chance. In Ohio state, he was their go to guy and did a pretty darn good job.

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
don't believe the rumors... at their age, we can't get anything of substantial value for KG or Pierce... and neither would sign off on a trade anyways.

Just enjoy the last months of these old dogs and hope for the best.

I know you're all salivating over the prospect of losing one of our best players for the great eric bledsoe, but if tanking is your grand plan, you're better off just letting them retire and coming up empty handed.

The response to this is easy.  If you are correct, then obviously you are best off keepign PP and KG and awaiting cap space.   If you aren't correct, you entertain the value offered and consider the jump-started rebuild.

I see both KG and PP as extremely attractive pieces to at least a 1/2 dozen contenders (or almost contenders).  They not only bring their talent, they bring a winning spirit and leadership.  Trade future value for present value (if present value takes you to contention) is smart business in the NBA.  But, of course, I could be wrong.
They are attractive pieces if we are giving them away for cheap... and I don't see the point in that.  Nobody is giving up a valuable asset for possibly a half season of KG or Pierce.  The time to trade Pierce would have been 1 or two years ago... and according to rumors we absolutely tried to do that, but Pierce killed the deal.  We supposedly tried to trade him to the Nets last season for their lotto pick, but Pierce put a stop to it... probably by threatening retirement or something.   

He's a year older, less valuable... and I don't see why this would be any different.  Neither are going anywhere and we aren't getting anything much from them anyways.  So just enjoy the months we have left of them.  Probably like 15 months at most.  Just enjoy it.

There's no argument.  If they don't offer valuable pieces, there is no discussion.   You and I only disagree about the likelihood that something valuable will be offered.

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

as long as you didn't use hyperbole, orange/apple comparisons, or get accused of straw man arguments.  We wouldn't want you to get too interesting or anything

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 373
Indeed they won't.

They don't have the bizarre fascination some board posters have with putting together a team of scrubs, and then posting incessantly trying to convince each other that said scrubs can actually play.

See 2006 and 2007 on this very blog.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the scrubs from 2007 enable the trades that led to 2008 - present?

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

as long as you didn't use hyperbole, orange/apple comparisons, or get accused of straw man arguments.  We wouldn't want you to get too interesting or anything

I will argue my point WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE!!!!

*takes marv albert hat off*

PS. Interesting is overrated.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?