Author Topic: We absolutely should trade KG and Pierce!!!!!  (Read 13824 times)

We absolutely should trade KG and Pierce!!!!!
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
I think far to many are to young on this board to remember how holding onto Bird, Parish, and Mchale set us back a generation.  I for one do not want to watch another 10 years of that again. Please, Danny do not make the same mistake.  He of anyone should know.  I have watched the preseason this year and a few early games.  Enough to see this is a 500 team, not going anywhere.  It's like watching the Pistons die again.

KG was a champ and so was Pierce.  Players who get older never get better.  Lottery teams take many moons to rebuild.

This moment is a golden opportunity for Boston.

I was of the idea Pierce should have gone two years ago.  I was very surprised last year by the run.  That was all because of youth stepping up.  Remember where we were headed before Bradley started to assert himself.

When I see that front page letter as an open Letter I scream NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny, please don't let it happen again.

Re: We absolutely should trade KG and Peirce!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I agree,if you cant land josh smith for bass and green, then I would be all about gathering young prospects and picks for kg and pp.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:26:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think far to many are to young on this board to remember how holding onto Bird, Parish, and Mchale set us back a generation.

Not true.

Len Bias and Reggie Lewis dying set us back a generation.  Terrible drafting and bad management coupled with terrible ownership set us back a generation.

It had nothing to do with not trading Larry and McHale for a bunch of decent / mediocre non-stars.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think far to many are to young on this board to remember how holding onto Bird, Parish, and Mchale set us back a generation.

Not true.

Len Bias and Reggie Lewis dying set us back a generation.  Terrible drafting and bad management coupled with terrible ownership set us back a generation.

It had nothing to do with not trading Larry and McHale for a bunch of decent / mediocre non-stars.
Completely agree.  Not trading bird and the rest set us back for maybe two years.  He rest was a series of bad luck and bad decision making.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think far to many are to young on this board to remember how holding onto Bird, Parish, and Mchale set us back a generation.  I for one do not want to watch another 10 years of that again. Please, Danny do not make the same mistake.  He of anyone should know.  I have watched the preseason this year and a few early games.  Enough to see this is a 500 team, not going anywhere.  It's like watching the Pistons die again.

KG was a champ and so was Pierce.  Players who get older never get better.  Lottery teams take many moons to rebuild.

I was of the idea Pierce should have gone two years ago.  I was very surprised last year by the run.  That was all because of youth stepping up.  Remember where we were headed before Bradley started to assert himself.

When I see that front page letter as an open Letter I scream NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What set us back a generation was bad management (like Pitino), health problems (Lewis), and drug problems (Bias), to go along a slew of other problems like Vin Baker's alcoholism.

Holding to Parish, Bird, and McHale for too long are not the reason for our level of irrelevance through an era.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Your post clearly demonstrates your lack of knowledge about what really caused us to be awful for years after Bird, McHale, and Parish retired.

Its not because we held them back, its because our management became worse than the current Bobcats management.

Picking antoine walker over Kobe and many other awful moves. If Pierce hadn't been drafted by us, we would have set the record for worst win/loss record long ago.

Plus, times were much different in the 80's than they are now. There is way too much talent in the league, compared to what it was at that time.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens

Not true.

Bias was an attempt to bridge the gap.  What team in the NBA ever has done this and won a championship.  San Antonio I would say would be the closest and they loose in the play offs.  NBA championships are won by superstars int heir prime.

After the death of Bias we had a chance but help onto mediocrity.  Reggie Lewis was one of my all time favorites but at the time the team was average.

No team ever holds onto aging stars and wins.

Bill Belichick never holds onto aging stars once they decline they are gone.

Please Danny don't listen to the insanity.

Kevin and Paul are great leaders who can help teams on the cusp.  This won't be the case soon.

Let the past GO!!!!

This team as constructed will never beat the Heat.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

Not true.

Amen to that, TP!

What we can get right now for KG and Pierce is just a bunch of underachieving young men, who will never establish us as a serious contender in the future, and that will basically turn us into the Hawks of the last 5 years: mediocre talent-wise players waiting to flourish but they never will and we'll eventually get stuck with them until they ask for a maximum-contract and then we'll have to trade them away for equally mediocre players, and so on.

I think trading KG and Pierce right now is more dangerous than keeping them. This summer is gonna be huge and that's the right time for some major changes IMO, not now. Just let KG and Pierce make their final run. We have some good young assets at the moment and huge cap flexibility as soon as KG retires, no need to blow it up now.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

Not true.

Bias was an attempt to bridge the gap.  What team in the NBA ever has done this and won a championship.  San Antonio I would say would be the closest and they loose in the play offs.  NBA championships are won by superstars int heir prime.

After the death of Bias we had a chance but help onto mediocrity.  Reggie Lewis was one of my all time favorites but at the time the team was average.

No team ever holds onto aging stars and wins.

Bill Belichick never holds onto aging stars once they decline they are gone.

Please Danny don't listen to the insanity.

Kevin and Paul are great leaders who can help teams on the cusp.  This won't be the case soon.

Let the past GO!!!!

This team as constructed will never beat the Heat.

who is to say Len Bias wouldnt have been a superstar??

championships are also built by competent management..theresw a reason a team like the Bobcats has never improved

Re: We absolutely should trade KG and Pierce!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »

Offline dinome18

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 7
That's the issue I think, we don't get huge cap flexibility when PP and KG leave

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
Your post clearly demonstrates your lack of knowledge about what really caused us to be awful for years after Bird, McHale, and Parish retired.

Its not because we held them back, its because our management became worse than the current Bobcats management.

Picking antoine walker over Kobe and many other awful moves. If Pierce hadn't been drafted by us, we would have set the record for worst win/loss record long ago.

Plus, times were much different in the 80's than they are now. There is way too much talent in the league, compared to what it was at that time.

Moves like trading Joe Johnson for rent a players. Who we had for less then half a year that got us maybe one series closer.

Players have a trajectory.  i would rather have young ones on an upward slope now then aging ones on a downward.

Are people on this board insane?  Peirce does it 1 game in 5 at the most.  Garnett gets limited minutes and averages o.k numbers.

If the team was on the top then o.k. go with them, but there NOT!!!!!!!

People please stop holding onto sentiment.  Garnett can posture all he wants in a game, but in reality he is a mere contributor on a team with higher aspirations.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Man, the thought of trading them is nauseating to me. Don't understand the lack of appreciation for loyalty. It's so rare today and, imho, that's what makes sports awesome (and the NBA much better last generation).
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm completely torn on this issue.  At moments, I think of the valuable hauls we could amass for Pierce and/or Garnett, and I think, let's do it.  At other times, watching these guys play, I think, let's hang on to KG and the Truth for as long as they can still play.  Watching those two old masters is truly a treat.

I've resigned myself to not having any expectations for what this team will look like on February 21st.  This is an intense time to be a fan.  I can't wait for February 22nd. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
Man, the thought of trading them is nauseating to me. Don't understand the lack of appreciation for loyalty. It's so rare today and, imho, that's what makes sports awesome (and the NBA much better last generation).

Get real?  It wasn't long ago we got both Garnett and Allen for teams who said the same thing.

In the NBA this loyalty thing only applies when we are looking at our own teams.

The Patriots constantly flip players to stay on top and people wage against coach B., and he always proves them wrong.

Why do you want to keep a team together that has no chance of winning a championship??????????

Sentiment only gets you years further into the future.

Why go for a slow burn?  Why not a bonfire when you know burning up is inevitable.

Better now then later.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 01:59:53 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72

This is the biggest BS I have seen on CelticsBlog yet.

The only youth that was there was Rondo. Aside from him, the 7 game series against the Heat was carried on the shoulders of KG/Pierce/Allen/Rondo.

Your "youth" was the players on the bench, which scored a combined total of 2 points.

Let's examine the three series in last year's playoffs:

Hawks: All KG and some Pierce - NOT YOUTH
Sixers: KG/Pierce/Rondo - NOT MUCH OF A YOUTH
Heat: KG/Pierce/Rondo/Allen - NOT MUCH OF A YOUTH

You're posting clear BS. At least get valid reasoning for your argument.