Author Topic: We absolutely should trade KG and Pierce!!!!!  (Read 13814 times)

Re: We absolutely should trade KG and Pierce!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
L O Y A L T Y

Never trade KG and PP, I love our team, it's a team which shows heart and shows celtic pride.

Re: We absolutely should trade KG and Peirce!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Your post clearly demonstrates your lack of knowledge about what really caused us to be awful for years after Bird, McHale, and Parish retired.

Its not because we held them back, its because our management became worse than the current Bobcats management.

Picking antoine walker over Kobe and many other awful moves. If Pierce hadn't been drafted by us, we would have set the record for worst win/loss record long ago.

Plus, times were much different in the 80's than they are now. There is way too much talent in the league, compared to what it was at that time.

Moves like trading Joe Johnson for rent a players. Who we had for less then half a year that got us maybe one series closer.

Players have a trajectory.  i would rather have young ones on an upward slope now then aging ones on a downward.

Are people on this board insane?  Peirce does it 1 game in 5 at the most.  Garnett gets limited minutes and averages o.k numbers.

If the team was on the top then o.k. go with them, but there NOT!!!!!!!

People please stop holding onto sentiment.  Garnett can posture all he wants in a game, but in reality he is a mere contributor on a team with higher aspirations.

Coming up with better arguments or possibly countering other people's points is a better strategy than calling everyone insane.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 02:05:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
That's the issue I think, we don't get huge cap flexibility when PP and KG leave

If KG retires after 2013-2014, the team should theoretically have the cap space (or be reasonably close enough to get there...I haven't rigorously done the math) to add a max-contract guy. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
I'm completely torn on this issue.  At moments, I think of the valuable hauls we could amass for Pierce and/or Garnett, and I think, let's do it.  At other times, watching these guys play, I think, let's hang on to KG and the Truth for as long as they can still play.  Watching those two old masters is truly a treat.

I've resigned myself to not having any expectations for what this team will look like on February 21st.  This is an intense time to be a fan.  I can't wait for February 22nd.

I must be seeing something different.  I can't stand to watch this team.  You never know when they are going to blow a 20 plus point lead.  Their lack of consistency is so infuriating, and any way you want to shake it, it's due to age, and asking to much of these individuals at this stage of their career.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm completely torn on this issue.  At moments, I think of the valuable hauls we could amass for Pierce and/or Garnett, and I think, let's do it.  At other times, watching these guys play, I think, let's hang on to KG and the Truth for as long as they can still play.  Watching those two old masters is truly a treat.

I've resigned myself to not having any expectations for what this team will look like on February 21st.  This is an intense time to be a fan.  I can't wait for February 22nd.

I must be seeing something different.  I can't stand to watch this team.  You never know when they are going to blow a 20 plus point lead.  Their lack of consistency is so infuriating, and any way you want to shake it, it's due to age, and asking to much of these individuals at this stage of their career.

And your plan is to trade KG, for example, for Bledsoe and Jordan... who you know, actually struggled this year to win with a better supporting cast just because they didn't have Chris Paul. Yeah, I don't see how you'll be alleviating your frustrations by doing this.

I don't know about you, but I'm kinda enjoying our 8-1 record over our last 9 games.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 02:10:57 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
If KG and pierce were hurting the team Id trade em. They are still doing alot of positive things. I agree tho, I can't see us beating the heat with this team. If we could get josh smith I might be singing a different tune. I'm not totally against blowing it up tho.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Your post clearly demonstrates your lack of knowledge about what really caused us to be awful for years after Bird, McHale, and Parish retired.

Its not because we held them back, its because our management became worse than the current Bobcats management.

Picking antoine walker over Kobe and many other awful moves. If Pierce hadn't been drafted by us, we would have set the record for worst win/loss record long ago.

Plus, times were much different in the 80's than they are now. There is way too much talent in the league, compared to what it was at that time.

Moves like trading Joe Johnson for rent a players. Who we had for less then half a year that got us maybe one series closer.

Players have a trajectory.  i would rather have young ones on an upward slope now then aging ones on a downward.

Are people on this board insane?  Peirce does it 1 game in 5 at the most.  Garnett gets limited minutes and averages o.k numbers.

People please stop holding onto sentiment.  Garnett can posture all he wants in a game, but in reality he is a mere contributor on a team with higher aspirations.
That is a ridiculous logic.

According to that logic, Wizards, Kings, Bobcats, Cavaliers, Pistons, Raptors, Bucks, 76ers, Hornets, Timberwolves, TrailBlazers, Rockets should all be doing very good since they all have young players with huge upside.

By the way, as for calling KG average, uhm, if Heat had KG right now, he would be starting over Bosh.
Last offseason, before it was revealed KG will resign with Celtics, there were reports of teams like Nets willing to give KG near-max contracts.

So saying he is average is complete BS, as more than 80% of this league would jump out to get him right away if given the opportunity to.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
I think far to many are to young on this board to remember how holding onto Bird, Parish, and Mchale set us back a generation.  I for one do not want to watch another 10 years of that again. Please, Danny do not make the same mistake.  He of anyone should know.  I have watched the preseason this year and a few early games.  Enough to see this is a 500 team, not going anywhere.  It's like watching the Pistons die again.

KG was a champ and so was Pierce.  Players who get older never get better.  Lottery teams take many moons to rebuild.

This moment is a golden opportunity for Boston.

I was of the idea Pierce should have gone two years ago.  I was very surprised last year by the run.  That was all because of youth stepping up.  Remember where we were headed before Bradley started to assert himself.

When I see that front page letter as an open Letter I scream NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny, please don't let it happen again.

This is the biggest BS I have seen on CelticsBlog yet.

The only youth that was there was Rondo. Aside from him, the 7 game series against the Heat was carried on the shoulders of KG/Pierce/Allen/Rondo.

Your "youth" was the players on the bench, which scored a combined total of 2 points.

Let's examine the three series in last year's playoffs:

Hawks: All KG and some Pierce - NOT YOUTH
Sixers: KG/Pierce/Rondo - NOT MUCH OF A YOUTH
Heat: KG/Pierce/Rondo/Allen - NOT MUCH OF A YOUTH

You're posting clear BS. At least get valid reasoning for your argument.

I'm talking about where they were in the regular season before Avery Bradley sparked them.

Don't get me wrong.  I love the C's, and the heart of this team.  I loved last years play off run and it broke my heart.

Truth is though that run had a lot to do with providence.  The Hawks would have beat us with a healthy Josh Smith.  Philadelphia was lucky to be there as injuries to other teams let them get there.  They nearly beat the C's.  The C's were incapable of beating Miami with a healthy Bosh.  If he could have just stayed injured a few more games.

They can't count on that type of luck again.  Plus this team is not as good as last years.

So I appreciate the C's love.

Face it though, the run is over!

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Face it though, the run is over!

A solid free agent big man, Rondo and Sullinger recovering, and the team defense being there at the start of the season and this team, if held together and not devastated by injuries, is a legitimate contender (but not among the favorites) next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
with a healthy Rondo/Sully and the team playing like they are now, it would be better than last years team IMO.

we signed KG for 3 years(with the expectation he at least play 2 of them)

I dont understand why..ok, Rondo is injured and will be back next year...but lets blow it up and trade them for mediocrity on large contracts.

paying Deandre Jordan 11million$ isnt getting us closer to a championship than having Garnett next year.

and if Garnett retires I would rather have the cap-space to sign someone rather than pay an average center large $$

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 02:21:10 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens

That is a ridiculous logic.

According to that logic, Wizards, Kings, Bobcats, Cavaliers, Pistons, Raptors, Bucks, 76ers, Hornets, Timberwolves, TrailBlazers, Rockets should all be doing very good since they all have young players with huge upside.

By the way, as for calling KG average, uhm, if Heat had KG right now, he would be starting over Bosh.
Last offseason, before it was revealed KG will resign with Celtics, there were reports of teams like Nets willing to give KG near-max contracts.

So saying he is average is complete BS, as more than 80% of this league would jump out to get him right away if given the opportunity to.

We were exactly in that cluster when Danny Ainge sprung his trade magic.  So were the heat before Bosh and Lebron came their way.

I see us now where the Pistons were after their run.  Now look where they are.

I would rather have potential young talent.  It gives you more leverage for future.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics are given a great rebooting offer (the clippers rumor is not), then yes, the Celtics should trade them.

But since it is not likely to happen, keep them.

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
And what exactly are we going to get for them?

Pierce is only attractive to a contender and that means we wont get high draft picks and/or expirings for him. So is KG.

Why trade youre old yet still productive players for basically something that wouldnt even help us in the future?

If were getting a superstar in return then you have a point, but no, we wont get that with KG and PP, instead we are getting guys who are young yet has the potential to be underachievers and will cost money to keep.

Id rather have my productive, LOYAL, and proud vets who sre still productive.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
with a healthy Rondo/Sully and the team playing like they are now, it would be better than last years team IMO.

we signed KG for 3 years(with the expectation he at least play 2 of them)

I dont understand why..ok, Rondo is injured and will be back next year...but lets blow it up and trade them for mediocrity on large contracts.

paying Deandre Jordan 11million$ isnt getting us closer to a championship than having Garnett next year.

and if Garnett retires I would rather have the cap-space to sign someone rather than pay an average center large $$

I had an acl.  It takes one year to return and two to be at full form.  Look at Rose. and Brady. 

Only freek I've seen do it is Wes Welker.

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101

Coming up with better arguments or possibly countering other people's points is a better strategy than calling everyone insane.

We had poor management from the mid 90's on and that was lets say 60% of the issue. BUT we had catastrophic luck

1. Bias dies
2. Reggie Lewis dies
3. We don't get Duncan because of the ping pong balls

The league does nothing to give us a break after the deaths of our players