Author Topic: We absolutely should trade KG and Pierce!!!!!  (Read 13826 times)

Re: We absolutely should trade KG and Peirce!!!!!
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2013, 04:34:30 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Your post clearly demonstrates your lack of knowledge about what really caused us to be awful for years after Bird, McHale, and Parish retired.

Its not because we held them back, its because our management became worse than the current Bobcats management.

Picking antoine walker over Kobe and many other awful moves. If Pierce hadn't been drafted by us, we would have set the record for worst win/loss record long ago.

Plus, times were much different in the 80's than they are now. There is way too much talent in the league, compared to what it was at that time.

Moves like trading Joe Johnson for rent a players. Who we had for less then half a year that got us maybe one series closer.

Players have a trajectory.  i would rather have young ones on an upward slope now then aging ones on a downward.

Are people on this board insane?  Peirce does it 1 game in 5 at the most.  Garnett gets limited minutes and averages o.k numbers.

If the team was on the top then o.k. go with them, but there NOT!!!!!!!

People please stop holding onto sentiment.  Garnett can posture all he wants in a game, but in reality he is a mere contributor on a team with higher aspirations.

KG's per 36 is 18.2 9.2

He is almost a 20-10 player at 36...... gimme a break pal

Re: We absolutely should trade KG and Pierce!!!!!
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like the rest of you really have no idea what offers are really on the table. For the right offer you trade all most anyone. In saying that I'm not sure what I would like Danny to do, but I do trust he will make the right decision.

My biggest problem with most posts I have seen over the past 2 weeks is this idea, that if we keep the team and let KG/PP retire, than we can build through cap space. I do not agree with this at all!

The NBA has the weirdest salary cap. We are over it because you can do that to sign your own players. So once those guys retire we are going to go back under the cap, hence we will only be able to spend up to the cap! To win you need great players, you have to pay those players, so good teams are over the cap.

The short of this is, it would take a long time to acquire players worth paying to get back up to the payroll we have now that keeps us competitive.

The Miami Heat plan is not going to happen here, for that matter I doubt ever again.

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I think far to many are to young on this board to remember how holding onto Bird, Parish, and Mchale set us back a generation.  I for one do not want to watch another 10 years of that again. Please, Danny do not make the same mistake.  He of anyone should know.  I have watched the preseason this year and a few early games.  Enough to see this is a 500 team, not going anywhere.  It's like watching the Pistons die again.

KG was a champ and so was Pierce.  Players who get older never get better.  Lottery teams take many moons to rebuild.

This moment is a golden opportunity for Boston.

I was of the idea Pierce should have gone two years ago.  I was very surprised last year by the run.  That was all because of youth stepping up.  Remember where we were headed before Bradley started to assert himself.

When I see that front page letter as an open Letter I scream NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny, please don't let it happen again.

Okay now being serious...this was not the reason as to why the Celtics weren't good for a while. This whole blow it up mentality needs to stop, just because someone trades a 36 year old hall of famer for a young 22 year old guard doesn't mean that the guard will be very good. It seems like the only numbers we look at now is age. If having a young team is the best thing in sports then the Baby Bulls would have picked up right where MJ left off. Remember when Chandler and Curry were supposed to become the preeminent front court in the NBA? Never happened. You can't base trades off of age, or taking on bad contracts for the right to get draft picks. Just trade for Josh Smith and add to the core.

Edit: Sarcasm doesn't give you liscense to ignore the rules regarding how you treat other posters.
-Fafnir
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:41:24 AM by Fafnir »

Re: We absolutely should trade KG and Peirce!!!!!
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I think far to many are to young on this board to remember how holding onto Bird, Parish, and Mchale set us back a generation.

Not true.

Len Bias and Reggie Lewis dying set us back a generation.  Terrible drafting and bad management coupled with terrible ownership set us back a generation.

It had nothing to do with not trading Larry and McHale for a bunch of decent / mediocre non-stars.

Roy is absolutely spot on with this analysis. Paul Ga$ton listened to ML Carr over Larry Bird for drafting and free agent decisions and we ended up with Antione Walker and Rick Pitino whose only good move was drafting Paul Pierce.

Here, I think we can hang onto Pierce and KG until their retirement (into coaching then front office) and build a new core around Rondo, Lee, Bradley, Jeff Green, and Jared Sullenger and perhaps Fab Melo.

I oppose trading KG and PP.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2013, 12:52:36 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I think far to many are to young on this board to remember how holding onto Bird, Parish, and Mchale set us back a generation.  I for one do not want to watch another 10 years of that again. Please, Danny do not make the same mistake.  He of anyone should know.  I have watched the preseason this year and a few early games.  Enough to see this is a 500 team, not going anywhere.  It's like watching the Pistons die again.

KG was a champ and so was Pierce.  Players who get older never get better.  Lottery teams take many moons to rebuild.

This moment is a golden opportunity for Boston.

I was of the idea Pierce should have gone two years ago.  I was very surprised last year by the run.  That was all because of youth stepping up.  Remember where we were headed before Bradley started to assert himself.

When I see that front page letter as an open Letter I scream NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny, please don't let it happen again.

Okay now being serious...this was not the reason as to why the Celtics weren't good for a while. This whole blow it up mentality needs to stop, just because someone trades a 36 year old hall of famer for a young 22 year old guard doesn't mean that the guard will be very good. It seems like the only numbers we look at now is age. If having a young team is the best thing in sports then the Baby Bulls would have picked up right where MJ left off. Remember when Chandler and Curry were supposed to become the preeminent front court in the NBA? Never happened. You can't base trades off of age, or taking on bad contracts for the right to get draft picks. Just trade for Josh Smith and add to the core.

Edit: Sarcasm doesn't give you liscense to ignore the rules regarding how you treat other posters.
-Fafnir

My bad, I felt the Billy Madison quote was appropriate...

Never the less I don't see how blowing it up would be a sure thing to return the C's to contention in 5 years.

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 373
Picking antoine walker over Kobe and many other awful moves.

The same awful move that 12 other NBA teams made.  The Antoine Walker move was actually a VERY good move.  The Celtics actually traded the #9 pick, which ended up being Samaki Walker, and Eric Montross to the Mavs for the #6 pick, which ended up being Antoine, and the Mavs unprotected pick in the 1997 draft (the Tim Duncan draft).  They ended up not getting Duncan, but that pick netted then Ron Mercer.  This was actually one of the better deals the C's have made in the past 30 years, considering who they gave up.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/22/sports/sports-people-basketball-celtics-trade-montross-to-mavericks.html

Sure, in hindsight, if they had used that #6 pick to take Kobe, and the Dallas pick in 1997 ended up being Duncan that would've been the best trade in the history of the game, but hindsight is 20-20 foresight. Very good trade at the time.