Author Topic: Josh Smith Contract  (Read 2303 times)

Josh Smith Contract
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:29:37 AM »

Offline jamala22

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Read a lot of people on here getting excited about possibly getting Josh Smith in a trade.  If we do that....how much would you be willing to sign him for?  He's looking for the Max.  I'd be willing to give him DeAndre Jordan money (10-12 million a year), not a cent more. 

Re: Josh Smith Contract
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:11:29 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Josh Smith is currently making 13.2mil, I'd give him a standard raise on that.  Max momney, no thanks.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:17:40 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
5 year 15 mil thats a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. load of cash pair him with rondo bradley and green (when PP hangs em up)

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:31:47 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Josh Smith wants a max contract. Josh Smith doesn't deserve a max contract. The question is, will anybody give it to him? My guess is...yes. This is why I think trading for him is not a smart move. Now, if GMs are actually smart, we might have a shot at him as a FA - he clearly likes Boston, our players, and he and Rondo are super tight.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:51:29 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm of two minds about this.

1) if we're looking to forego the rebuilding process, Smith might well deserve a max contract. He immediately makes us much more dangerous this year, especially with Sully out, and with Rkndo next year especially if KG doesn't retire, I think it gives us a great chance at being a 2 or 3 seed.

2) If we are going to venture into complete rebuild (with KG at least retiring), I don't want the extra 7-10 wins Smith gives us counting against out lottery balls in 2014 and 2015. We're going to need a game changer, a Pierce, a Garnett, a Nowitzki to usher us into the next generation of basketball.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:58:21 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
Josh Smith wants a max contract. Josh Smith doesn't deserve a max contract. The question is, will anybody give it to him? My guess is...yes. This is why I think trading for him is not a smart move. Now, if GMs are actually smart, we might have a shot at him as a FA - he clearly likes Boston, our players, and he and Rondo are super tight.

the question is............ will danny ferry just let him walk and get nothing?

even in pre-season they will trade him for sure, but i don't see it happening too, why? its a sign-in trade

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:00:39 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

1) if we're looking to forego the rebuilding process, Smith might well deserve a max contract. He immediately makes us much more dangerous this year, especially with Sully out, and with Rkndo next year especially if KG doesn't retire, I think it gives us a great chance at being a 2 or 3 seed.

2) If we are going to venture into complete rebuild (with KG at least retiring), I don't want the extra 7-10 wins Smith gives us counting against out lottery balls in 2014 and 2015. We're going to need a game changer, a Pierce, a Garnett, a Nowitzki to usher us into the next generation of basketball.

we can't get him unless KG retires and pierce also.... if you want a line-up of pierce and kg

you must remove green terry bass lee to clear space for smith... which i don't see happening...
as everyone said Dallas Houston Brooklyn Milwaukee has a lot of salary cap space to get smith

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:25:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

we can't get him unless KG retires and pierce also.... if you want a line-up of pierce and kg

you must remove green terry bass lee to clear space for smith... which i don't see happening...
as everyone said Dallas Houston Brooklyn Milwaukee has a lot of salary cap space to get smith

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Option 1 would necessitate a trade involving Green and Bass

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 03:38:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I view acquiring a player like that with trade assets, rather than through ping pong balls, as a much more viable route.  The trouble, of course, is getting those assets.

A recovered Rondo, Josh Smith on a reasonable (even if large) contract, and a few high value role players like Bradley and Sullinger, would make a great collection of trade assets. 

You could potentially leverage some or all of them to make a play the next time a true franchise superstar -- or a young player w/ the potential to turn into one -- becomes available.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 04:05:45 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I view acquiring a player like that with trade assets, rather than through ping pong balls, as a much more viable route.  The trouble, of course, is getting those assets.

A recovered Rondo, Josh Smith on a reasonable (even if large) contract, and a few high value role players like Bradley and Sullinger, would make a great collection of trade assets. 

You could potentially leverage some or all of them to make a play the next time a true franchise superstar -- or a young player w/ the potential to turn into one -- becomes available.

It's a viable route to success, but let's look at the current contenders/powerhouses

1) Miami: Gained through Lottery balls and now-defunct FA signings

2) Thunder: Gained through lottery balls and smart drafting

3) Chicago: Lottery balls/smart drafting

4) Clippers: Lottery balls/smart drafting/Trade

NYK: FA signings/trade

It goes on. Basically, for Boston, FA signings seems to be mostly against our history. Trade remains a possibility, but without the smart drafting by Danny, those trades are unavailable.

In the end, for me, it comes down to drafting. Whether he's keeping them or acquiring assets for a move, Danny built his reputation through the draft.

So again, the better odds for a top 3 pick seems to be our best path to the promise land.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 06:08:45 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I really don't care about paying smith an extra 2-3 million a year. The guy could be an All Star playing with Rondo and our defense would be insane with him and Bradley and KG.

We have a tiny window and we need an athletic stud like this to control the paint with KG.
So what we pay him 14-15 million instead of 12-13 million?

Big deal, give him the money and lets watch what Doc, Rondo and KG can do with him in a year.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

It's a viable route to success, but let's look at the current contenders/powerhouses

1) Miami: Gained through Lottery balls and now-defunct FA signings

2) Thunder: Gained through lottery balls and smart drafting

3) Chicago: Lottery balls/smart drafting

4) Clippers: Lottery balls/smart drafting/Trade

NYK: FA signings/trade

It goes on. Basically, for Boston, FA signings seems to be mostly against our history. Trade remains a possibility, but without the smart drafting by Danny, those trades are unavailable.

In the end, for me, it comes down to drafting. Whether he's keeping them or acquiring assets for a move, Danny built his reputation through the draft.

So again, the better odds for a top 3 pick seems to be our best path to the promise land.

I agree with the crux of this.

Being, there's no point in having smith around earning big cash if we are in rebuild mode trying to acquire early lottery picks. We don't want to be the Atlanta hawks.

On the other side of the coin, if we were to try and contend on the fly and squeeze another year or so out of KG and Paul, smoove would be a great piece to have and well worth spending the cash on.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Then you don't even go after him.  Don't even say what yuo would be willing to offer him  because there will be teams in FA that will offer him a max deal...

Personally I don't think he's worth a max contract either...

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 128

He does have a history of that.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

He does have a history of that.

Lol Lebron? That wasn't his call. Hopefully he learned his lesson from that one too.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14