Author Topic: Do You Think Jeff Green Can Still Be Better,.. Or Just Trade Him For Josh Smith?  (Read 13624 times)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Josh Smith needs somebody like Garnet to drive him.   He plays like Rondo, at what ever speed he feels like that night.    Smith would wear out his welcome really fast in Boston without KG to stay on him.

Like Greens attitude better and think he be even better player next year than current.  Green may be one of the few players in the nba with the tools to cover LBJ.

I like Smith, but he needs to be part of a team with at least one player better and more driven than himself.    Smith is not a max contract franchise player IMO.

I would trade Green as part of a deal for DMC . or K Love.

like to see Sully, Green, and DMC

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Give me Jeff at nine mil for three years.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Keep Jeff.  If PP stays and KG leaves maybe offer him some of KG's salary but I agree KG would be best to motivate him.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
 I wouldn't trade Jeff for Josh Smith.
Funny thing is if you asked me 4-5 months ago I probably would.
I'd like Josh to play with Jeff though.
Smoove at PF and Green at SF

Imagine the starting 5 of:

Rondo
Green
Smoove
Sully
KG

With Avery + Bass off the bench.
We somehow dump Courtney Lee and Terry (Maybe Bass too)
Would be great if we could afford Pierce and Smoove and just have Sully off the bench with Avery. Don't think we can get rid of all those sucky contracts though.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Josh Smith needs somebody like Garnet to drive him.   He plays like Rondo, at what ever speed he feels like that night.    Smith would wear out his welcome really fast in Boston without KG to stay on him.

Like Greens attitude better and think he be even better player next year than current.  Green may be one of the few players in the nba with the tools to cover LBJ.

I like Smith, but he needs to be part of a team with at least one player better and more driven than himself.    Smith is not a max contract franchise player IMO.

I would trade Green as part of a deal for DMC . or K Love.

like to see Sully, Green, and DMC

Good points about motivating Smoove. TP
I would move Green + Avery for DMC.
would love to somehow keept Rondo and DMC and Sully.
If we could keep Green, DMC, Rondo and Sully I'd be stoked.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would be perfectly happy moving Green for a strong starting big man, but not Smith because of the contract he would likely be receiving.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I think Green could have a really big year next year with this "leap" year under his belt.  His recovery is said to take a year as well, so I do anticipate more consistency.

I have always really liked Josh Smith, but the contract he could get could be an issue.  I do think he gets too much hate from some, as he would be a much better fit off of Rondo in a smaller ball handling/play making role here, but the contract could still be a bit much and there's no denying some level of "bone headed"-ness.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  I also think Josh Smith is way over rated among Celtic fans.  He does a lot of things well but nothing consistently and doesn't seem to play smart when it matters most.  He has the physical tools but is a basketball airhead IMO.  If KG were going to be around day in and day out to guide him for the next five years he might be worth the gamble but that isn't the case.

I don't know if Green will ever be better then he is right now.  Right now he is pretty darn good but still a bit inconsistent.  He should be in better physical condition next season. 

Smith wants and will get more money then we are paying Green.  He's not worth it.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm a big Josh Smith guy but I would rather have Jeff Green. Green makes less bone headed plays, takes less bad shots and is going to make a lot less money.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm a big Josh Smith guy but I would rather have Jeff Green. Green makes less bone headed plays, takes less bad shots and is going to make a lot less money.
I'd rather have the impact shot blocking, rebounding, and other non-scoring contributions.

But giving him the max, blah.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd rather have the impact shot blocking, rebounding, and other non-scoring contributions.

Yeah, on paper, Smith looks like an obvious 'yes'.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=smithjo03&y1=2013&p2=greenje02&y2=2013

Per-minute, identical scoring, identical FG%, identical FTA's with JG having an edge in 3pt% and FT%, and Josh Smith being better literally everywhere else.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just out of curiosity, what is the most (dollars) you'd feel comfortable paying Smith on a per season basis?

I don't think max contract levels have yet been set for the 2013-14 season, but I'm assuming the max for Smith (7-9 years service)* will be approx $17m.

Smith is currently being paid $13.2m.

* Max Salary=.3[.4214((X-Y)/30)]; X=Projected BRI, Y=Projected Player Benefits

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Smith's current contract is very fair. Max contract looks like a 'one of these things is not like the other', even when you factor in all you young bucks who have max extensions (Harden, Ibaka, Westbrook, etc).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yeah, on paper, Smith looks like an obvious 'yes'.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=smithjo03&y1=2013&p2=greenje02&y2=2013

Per-minute, identical scoring, identical FG%, identical FTA's with JG having an edge in 3pt% and FT%, and Josh Smith being better literally everywhere else.

There's a pretty big difference (12% or so) in TS%, and the turnovers favor Jeff as well. Smith might get the edge, but it's pretty slight.

Smallish sample size, but if Green keeps playing at his post all-star level next season which player would you say is more likely to be a 2014 all-star? I'd actually go with Green.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
They seem like they are different players. Green is more of a scoring 3. Smith is more of an athletic, shot blocking, rebounding four.

I think if we had both we could have the makings of a solid team. (assuming KG and Pierce retire/get traded)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19