Author Topic: Do You Think Jeff Green Can Still Be Better,.. Or Just Trade Him For Josh Smith?  (Read 13621 times)

Online csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Earlier in this thread, I stated that I was for trading Jeff Green for Smith.

While that has not changed, his cost may have gone up.

Woj reports that Bucks, Nets, Wiz. '6ers also in hunt. Now this could be Ferry leaking this to drive the market up for Smith.

However, if it is true, I think we would have to give up more than Green + filler, and I'm not sure I'm down for that.

Bucks are reportedly offering Jennings/Ilyasova. Don't think that we can match that without gutting the team, and we're down bodies already. Nets don't worry me with Humphries/Brooks. Not sure about what Wiz and '6ers can offer.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
It makes no sense whatsoever for Ferry to trade Smith's entire cap hit for 3 years of Jeff Green plus 2 years of another middle-of-the-road Celtic (Lee or Bass). None. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

Cs fans should stop fantasizing about it, or any Jeff Green trade. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
How overrated has josh Smith become within Celtics nation?

My God...have you tuned out of the games we've played the hawks? you think Jeff green is an under achiever or rondo is infuriating to watch all season? Lol. Josh Smith sucks

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Earlier in this thread, I stated that I was for trading Jeff Green for Smith.

While that has not changed, his cost may have gone up.

Woj reports that Bucks, Nets, Wiz. '6ers also in hunt. Now this could be Ferry leaking this to drive the market up for Smith.

However, if it is true, I think we would have to give up more than Green + filler, and I'm not sure I'm down for that.

Bucks are reportedly offering Jennings/Ilyasova. Don't think that we can match that without gutting the team, and we're down bodies already. Nets don't worry me with Humphries/Brooks. Not sure about what Wiz and '6ers can offer.

I think I read somewhere that the Sixers were thinking about moving Turner. He'd probably be the centerpiece of the offer.

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
I have always said that Jeff Green has the capability to be one of the top SF's in the league and be in the same class as LeBron, Durant, Carmelo and I will continue to say that.

I would love it if we can have Smith without giving up Green, but I guess that is very very unlikely.

Although, that's the best thing that can happen.

The same class as Lebron, Durant and Carmelo? You certainly forgot to use the sarcasm font, right?

No, I did not. He has shown many times that he can dominate with the ball and I will continue to believe that whether others agree or make fun of it

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
No way I want to get rid of Green for Smith. Yeah Smith on paper is better, but going forward I'd rather see Green and Smith out on the wings on the fast break. Or either of them leading the break.

Gives us good D at the 3 and 4 spot, you add that with Bradley and Rondo roaming around and then try to bring in a defensive center, thats pretty good.

But if we did have both Green and Smith I would rather try to get a good out side SG and move AB to the bench so the floor is spread a little better.

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Green definitely can get better, plus when you compare contracts (what it would cost to sign Smith) that's another plus for Green..

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I have always said that Jeff Green has the capability to be one of the top SF's in the league and be in the same class as LeBron, Durant, Carmelo and I will continue to say that.

I would love it if we can have Smith without giving up Green, but I guess that is very very unlikely.

The same class as Lebron, Durant and Carmelo? You certainly forgot to use the sarcasm font, right?

No, I did not. He has shown many times that he can dominate with the ball and I will continue to believe that whether others agree or make fun of it

This is vintage comedy, right here.  ;D

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
well here's my thing.

i'm no lover of Jeff Green's contract, but I assumed he was signed because there's future things that DA and maybe Doc can see. 9 mill for 4 years says to me, hey, we'd REALLY like you to stay.

with that being said, it's no secret that I'm a JG fan but I'm more of a Celtics fan. I'd love to see JG a little more before I say heck yes to this trade.

We tend to forget (and i know you all hate to hear it) that he's a year removed from heart surgery WHERE THEY HAD TO STOP HIS HEART FOR 5 HOURS. Drs. don't expect him to be 100% until NEXT year...

so if this is his 50-75% that he's playing RIGHT NOW on this 10 game strip (and even since January), I'd love to see what his 95-110% looks like.

Jeff has things that are very easy to work on...I think he has a lot of raw talent in some places. Develop more of a post, a more consistent jump shot, learn how to finish better at the rim and I don't see why we don't have some one who's just as good as Josh Smith.

We have Jeff playing 2-4, guarding 1-4 (some 5) nightly...Josh Smith is cool. But...he seems just as passive if not moreso and is a bonehead. I'm not 100% sold on Josh Smith.

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

This is vintage comedy, right here.  ;D

I literally do not know who vinnie likes on the current Celtics squad...nor do I know why he's a Celtic fan.

At any rate...for the original comment...I think that JG has as much talent as a LeBron, KD or Melo...the reason why JG will never be seen on that level is because JG is not the #1 option or the #1 scorer. I'm not sure JG can turn it on like these other guys, but I continue to say, with some work, he'd definitely be a beast. LeBron-esque because Melo and KD seem like purer scorers to me. Not really creators.

I think JG will be a GREAT x-factor and if he learns how to play like these guys coming off the bench or being a 2nd or 3rd option, he can be...deadly.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Everyone is forgetting the elphant in the room...Josh Smith wants MAX $$

is he really THAT talented for the C's to invest that many assets/ Capital for him??

granted I think he would be a Much better player with Rondo getting him the ball...but I just dont think he's worth Max money

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Stipulating that end-of-game isos are usually stupid, if you had to pick one player to put the ball in his hands for the last shot of the game, down one, would you prefer Jeff Green or Josh Smith, and how close is the decision?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
Stipulating that end-of-game isos are usually stupid, if you had to pick one player to put the ball in his hands for the last shot of the game, down one, would you prefer Jeff Green or Josh Smith, and how close is the decision?

green for sure, smith hits too many awful badshots

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Yes, I think he can and will be better. Keep him.

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
Yes, I think he can and will be better. Keep him.

agree