Author Topic: If you blow it up, what bad contract (plus a pick) would you trade PP for?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I am not a fan of trading Pierce and Garnett, but if I were, it would be because the team is in a situation where I would be willing to trade Pierce for a bad contract with 2-3 years left and a first-round draft pick.

The most likely team to target would be a non-contender that wants to dump salary, since Pierce has a partially guaranteed final year (but if Pierce were waived by his new team, he couldn't rejoin the Celtics until a year after the trade or until his contract would have ended, whichever is earlier), especially to avoid the luxury tax.

Imagine, for example, that the cheapskate Bulls offer Carlos Boozer and a lottery-protected first-round pick for the right to waive Paul Pierce and avoid the luxury tax.  Do you take it?  Do you ask for two picks?

What sort of compensation would you require to take back Bargnani (and perhaps Linas Kleiza) from the Raptors?

Can you accept trading Pierce for a contract that makes it unlikely the Celtics can be a contender for at least a couple of years?

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: If you blow it up, what bad contract (plus a pick) would you trade PP for?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Are they a contender if they let PP retire after this year?   No.  So either way we bite the bullet.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Not that I want to trade Paul Pierce, but a "bad contract" that I'd love for the Cs to get is Nic Batum's.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:25:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think you'd necessarily have to take on 2-3 years of bad salary to get a non-lottery pick.

I mean, the Cavs got Kyrie Irving by absorbing one extra year of modest salary, right?  The Celtics gave up a lottery pick to trade Raef's salary for Ratliff's. 

If we aren't getting a high lottery pick out of it, I wouldn't see the point.  (Plus, I wouldn't trade Pierce to a non-contender.  Heck, I wouldn't trade him at all.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
trading Pierce seems foolish to me......  he is playing great......he should be allowed to retire a Celtic.......his choice.....

never take my Captain away from me

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04:45 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
I don't want to trade Pierce, but if there was a way, I would trade PP to Charlotte (Or a three team deal, couldn't bear sending him to a lotto bound team) To get Ben Gordon & DET's 1st rounder this year.