Author Topic: Bass and green for josh smith? RUMORS.  (Read 12098 times)

Re: Bass and green for josh smith? RUMORS.
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 06:01:31 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Ainge would make this deal without a second thought. Bass + Green aren't enough for Smith but divesting ourselves of two egregious contracts is a great move. It also ups the talent level at the top of the rotation, which is the only thing Boston can do to make a run this year. And it means we get rid of two bad rebounders who completely compromise Pierce and KG's efforts on the boards.

If this rumor was floating around a month ago, I can't imagine what C's observer would turn it down. It's surprising how many people are fooled by Green's recent play. The guy's a dud. Has been his whole career.

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Ainge would make this deal without a second thought. Bass + Green aren't enough for Smith but divesting ourselves of two egregious contracts is a great move. It also ups the talent level at the top of the rotation, which is the only thing Boston can do to make a run this year. And it means we get rid of two bad rebounders who completely compromise Pierce and KG's efforts on the boards.

If this rumor was floating around a month ago, I can't imagine what C's observer would turn it down. It's surprising how many people are fooled by Green's recent play. The guy's a dud. Has been his whole career.

ONE egregious contract and one OK one
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It's surprising how many people are fooled by Green's recent play. The guy's a dud. Has been his whole career.
That's funny, because Green's recent play is indicative of what he's been over most of his career.

His performance with us is to to a large extent an artifact of the role we have for him on the roster.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 06:06:26 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
one thing i have noticed about this forum is that people vastly over rate josh smith. I watch a ton of games on league pass and i dont understand what people are fawning over. Sometimes I think people just look at the stat sheets. I just dont get it.

Much like many Celtics fans do with Rondo - just look at the stat sheets?

Here are Smith's regular season averages (per 36 Min) for his career:

16.0 Pts
8.4 Reb
3.4 Ass
1.4 Stl
2.2 Blk
46% FG
29% 3PT
66% FT
2.6 TO

Looking at his stats this season, he is actually the only player in the NBA who is averaging at least:

* 17 PPG
* 8 RPG
* 4 APG
* 1 SPG
* 2 BPK

If you remove the blocks and steals, there are only two players in the league averaging at least 17 PPG, 8 RPG and 4 APG, and they are:

* Josh Smith
* Lebron James

Even if I bring the rebound average down by one point (17/7/4) and the list expands to also include:

* Kevin Durant
* Paul George

Bring the assist average dow by one (17/7/3) and the list increases to also include:

* David Lee
* Blake Griffin

You are still looking at some pretty impressive company there.

The only bad stat for Smith is turnovers (at 3 per game) but if you look at the turnover numbers for the othe guys on that list, they aren't much better:

* Lebron - 3.0
* Durant - 3.2
* George - 2.8
* Griffin - 2.7
* Lee - 2.4

It's very easy to see why Josh Smith is one of the better 'swiss army knife' type players in the league, and in the right system he certainly has the potential to be a 20/10/5 player...to achieve this he would need an extra 3 points, 1.5 rebounds and 1 assist per game so very achievable...and I believe only something like 9 players have done tht in NBA history (KG being one of them).

He might not be a superstar scorer, but there are is nobody in the league bar maybe Lebron, Durant and Rondo who can impact a game in so many ways on a nightly basis.

I would love to hear a rebuttle to this post? 

Hard to argue with numbers

I'll give it a try.  ;D

You mentioned numbers, so let's look at a few that the OP gave but didn't focus on:

29% 3FG: Anyone who shoots only 29% from three-point range shouldn't be shooting threes. Period. Yet Smith does, and it's a part of his larger problem of bad shot selection. The guy basically has idea, after all these years in the league, what's a good shot and what isn't.

66% FT: Terrible. No reason for any player to shoot this low a percentage on free throws. Some CBers are pining for a new big three of Rondo-Smith-Howard ... do they not realize how awful a situation that would create? Opposing defenses could just pack the paint and/or keep sending these three to the foul line.

Listen, I agree that Smith has a lot of talent, but he also has some glaring flaws, and no player exists in a vacuum—you have to consider how that player would fit with the rest of the team, and a Rondo-Smith-Howard triumvirate would make the Cs a horrible crunch-time team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
It's surprising how many people are fooled by Green's recent play. The guy's a dud. Has been his whole career.
That's funny, because Green's recent play is indicative of what he's been over most of his career.

His performance with us is to to a large extent an artifact of the role we have for him on the roster.

Dude. I did not say that at all! Don't misquote me!!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 06:14:56 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

I agree with your first paragraph. He's a league-average tweener forward who can't rebound who is being paid like a second-tier star. He was a level or two worse than that over the first few months of the season. So, he's ascended to mediocrity.

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 06:19:41 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

I agree with your first paragraph. He's a league-average tweener forward who can't rebound who is being paid like a second-tier star. He was a level or two worse than that over the first few months of the season. So, he's ascended to mediocrity.

SMH. Do you know what league average is? League average would be someone who is ACTUALLY average like Travis Outlaw or something... Pietrus maybe. NOT Green
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

SMH. Do you know what league average is? League average would be someone who is ACTUALLY average like Travis Outlaw or something... Pietrus maybe. NOT Green

Outlaw's playing so few minutes it's not a great comparison (at all) but per minute, his production is only marginally less than Green's this season.

Green has yet to record a 15.00 PER in his entire career.

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Outlaw's playing so few minutes it's not a great comparison (at all) but per minute, his production is only marginally less than Green's this season.

Green has yet to record a 15.00 PER in his entire career.

Look. Average players score maybe 5, 6 ppg and play maybe 15 minutes. Jeff Green is way above average.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
We'll have to agree to disagree on Green. I expect the C's will look to move him in the next year, hopefully off the back of a hot streak that bumps up his value around the league.

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
We'll have to agree to disagree on Green. I expect the C's will look to move him in the next year, hopefully off the back of a hot streak that bumps up his value around the league.

You guys are way overrating Green, 9 million doesn't get you a superstar and he won't ever be Pierce but he's not Pietrus or Pavlovic either. He is a solid starter at worst. He'd be a starter on every team except NY, Boston, Indiana, OKC, Miami, Portland.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

You guys are way overrating Green, 9 million doesn't get you a superstar and he won't ever be Pierce but he's not Pietrus or Pavlovic either. He is a solid starter at worst. He'd be a starter on every team except NY, Boston, Indiana, OKC, Miami, Portland.

Maybe. Maybe not. He still has the same marginal on-court impacts.

Also, the one thing I'm not doing is overrating Green.

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Dude. I did not say that at all! Don't misquote me!!
So please explain what you said, because I am confused.

I take you to mean that his recent play suggests that he's not a dud, which misleads people -- my answer to this is that his recent play is pretty much indicative of what he's been over the course of his career when given minutes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't even like Smith's game -- at all -- but this deal would be such a steal (mostly because the Cs would be getting out from under Bass and Green) that Smith would arrive in Waltham in gift wrapping with a ribbon and bow.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2013, 06:42:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Your grasp of how much stars are paid is quite far from reality.

Top players in the NBA right now command a $16-20-million. Guys you're calling "second-tier stars" are typically paid in the $12 million range (see Batum in Portland and Lopez in Brooklyn).

Green is paid as much as Gerald Wallace and Jameer Nelson, who have third banana written all over them.