Author Topic: Bass and green for josh smith? RUMORS.  (Read 12093 times)

Re: Bass and green for josh smith? RUMORS.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 12:42:34 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm sure that we would deal Green and Bass for Smith but I don't see any way Atlanta would do this. Kills their cap space and saddles them with the types of long term contracts Ferry moved to start his tenure.

Maybe if another team had an interest in Green or Bass to bring in young players and help facilitate a deal.

Does a KG, Smith, Pierce, Lee and Bradley team compete for a title this year?

Absolutely

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'd rather keep Bass and Green.

Why?

Smith will prove to be too pricey for what he brings, and would kill our rebuilding efforts when the time comes. And this year, he won't add much to our roster considering the subtraction Green.

Green has played well lately but IMO Smith would upgrade our team

Leaves too big of a whole in our SF rotation, and though Smith can play the position, he'd rarely be in a position to play it... and I'd rather keep him as a 4 personally.

I just see a very unbalanced roster if this were to happen, particularly with the way Green has played defense this year, particularly on guys like Carmelo and LeBron.

You're losing a lot of floor spacing too.

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Why?

Smith will prove to be too pricey for what he brings, and would kill our rebuilding efforts when the time comes. And this year, he won't add much to our roster considering the subtraction Green.

Leaves too big of a whole in our SF rotation, and though Smith can play the position, he'd rarely be in a position to play it... and I'd rather keep him as a 4 personally.

I just see a very unbalanced roster if this were to happen, particularly with the way Green has played defense this year, particularly on guys like Carmelo and LeBron.

Maybe in the short term but long term I'd much rather have Smith than Green and Bass.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Why?

Maybe in the short term but long term I'd much rather have Smith than Green and Bass.

Bass shouldn't be here long term. Green vs. Smith, when you're playing the cap room, I'm leaning towards Green.

Unless Smith takes a huge pay cut from what has been speculated to be his asking price of MAX contract.

But, if Ainge manages to keep adding talent, without having to resort into playing the cap room game, then Smith is the choice I'd say.

At the moment, not envisioning how it could go about.

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 01:18:02 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
to me, its simple...if Smith wants to take a discount to play for the Celtics on his next contract I will take him.

but in NO WAY do I want to pay him Max money....his talent just doesnt dictate it.

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Bass and Green for Josh Smith? I'll do it in a heartbeat.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I cant seem giving Smith a max contract. Now, if he would accept something more like 10M per at the most, I think you have to pull the trigger but I would hate to see J. Green go. I think he is only going to get better and we have not yet seen his ceiling. Bass is another story, I think he is lost this year on our team.

On a different note, I am not a big fan of building a team of poor free throw shooters either. In the playoffs, it can lead to your doom. Doc would be subsituting at the end of each game on every possession.

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yeah. It is a no brainer for the Cs. Atlanta would not do it though. Contracts are too long.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 01:50:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah. It is a no brainer for the Cs. Atlanta would not do it though. Contracts are too long.
Interestingly enough,  people gripe about Jeff Green's contract being too rich, but would gladly have Smith who is only marginally better, makes 6 million more right now, and demands a max contract.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I still believe that the Rockets are Smith's most likely destination.  They have the assets to make a deal pretty easily... 

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Not sure I like it.

Not as huge fan of JSmith, I guess.  No shooting, no post, not worth it.

Green as a power-3 > near-max contract Smith

There's a reason the Hawks have talent and don't win.

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 01:52:48 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Definitely no way
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 01:57:10 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm sure that we would deal Green and Bass for Smith but I don't see any way Atlanta would do this. Kills their cap space and saddles them with the types of long term contracts Ferry moved to start his tenure.

Maybe if another team had an interest in Green or Bass to bring in young players and help facilitate a deal.

Does a KG, Smith, Pierce, Lee and Bradley team compete for a title this year?

Absolutely

Yeah, they'd win every game by 20 points.

Final score:  64-44

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »

Offline whiteandgreen25

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Not from a win this season standpoint
But from a rebuilding/rebooting standpoint:

Keep Green
See what assets we can have sent to ATL in a 3-team trade with Pierce, and include any of Bass/Lee/Terry/Pick from us

Already gives us a core of Bradley/Green/Smith
Trade KG for Bledsoe/Jordan
Trade Rondo or Bledsoe in the summer

Leaves us 1-2 pieces from being a young competitive team, and well coached a Green/Smith combo should be deadly on both ends of the floor.

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well I was all set to say the following...   Jeff Green is our 4th best player, but he's a SF.  He's not a PF.  And unfortunately our 2nd best player, Paul Pierce, plays SF too.   Meanwhile we have a 3rd stringer starting at PF.  So in theory, yes it makes sense to move Jeff Green for Josh Smith... it would give you a lineup of PG - Bradley, SG - Lee, SF - Pierce, PF - Josh SMith, C - KG

Not to mention, Josh Smith is just a far better player than Jeff Green. 

But I just realized that Josh Smith is actually smaller than Jeff Green.  That was surprising to me.  Smith is 6'9 225 and Jeff Green is 6'9 235.  You'd still have to trade Green for Smith, because Smith is a superior player... but it doesn't really help the theory that Jeff Green can't play PF.