Poll

I understand the salaries do not match, but hypothetically: Would you trade Rondo for Dwight?

Yes!
NO!

Author Topic: Would you trade Rondo for Dwight? (Poll)  (Read 11894 times)

Re: Would you trade Rondo for Dwight? (Poll)
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Celtics would have to.

When healthy, Howard in a top 4 player.  The best big man of his generation.

The best big man of a generation have always won a title. 

Duncan
Shaq
Hakeem
Kareem
Wilt
Russel

And Dwight has proven he can be the center piece of a team that went to the finals. 

And I have nothing bad to say about Rondo.  This isn't about his skills or his game.

It is about getting the best big man in the game when he gets healthy. 

With that said, it is a complete pipe dream.  If the Lakers do choose to move him, there will be better offers then an injured PG.

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 01:32:06 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The Celtics would have to.

When healthy, Howard in a top 4 player.  The best big man of his generation.

The best big man of a generation have always won a title. 

Duncan
Shaq
Hakeem
Kareem
Wilt
Russel

And Dwight has proven he can be the center piece of a team that went to the finals. 

And I have nothing bad to say about Rondo.  This isn't about his skills or his game.

It is about getting the best big man in the game when he gets healthy. 

With that said, it is a complete pipe dream.  If the Lakers do choose to move him, there will be better offers then an injured PG.

Wdleehi TP!

I love Rondo and even thought this game is run by PG's now you need a big man(unless your MJ or Lebron). The magic got there with him and a (honestly) weak supporting cast. With a Boston history we can do a lot better than 09 Magic. No brainer
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 01:32:34 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
At this point after 92 votes, 2 out of every 3 Celtic fans pull the trigger. Quite interesting.
And I bet you that 32 out of 32 GM's would trade rondo for Howard.  And 0 out of 32 would trade Howard for rondo. 

Basically, the fact that one third or Celt fans wouldn't make this trade is outrageous.  But like I said before, this proposed trade is so unrealistic, I'd be shocked if the lakers considered at all.

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 01:46:17 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Um . . . duh.

Injured back or not, he's the best center in the league.  I think Rondo is great, but even if you think they're equal in value, you trade small for size any day of the week.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 02:00:57 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
No but I would trade KG for him.
I concur especially with Rondo injured. Danny would just have to make minor changes for us to compete hard over the next six seasons.

(not that this is available)

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 03:25:13 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
From out of left field but really not that crazy how about this?

Dwight Howard and MWP for KG and the Captain.

Why for Boston? Sends Pierce and KG to a city they like for their own reasons and brings back a guy who is possibly a franchise center. KG and Paul continue to battle together along with some old rivals and take on the young champs and RAY one or two last times.

Why for LA? With a decent coach you would think that could be the best half-court lineup going.  LA does not worry about rebuilding when its over because with cap room they seem to get their guys every time.

Boston is instantly rebuilt waiting for a few young guys to develop to seriously be in the mix assuming good health for a bunch of guys who have had serious injuries.  Howard, Rondo, Sullinger, Bradley, Green, Wilcox, Barbosa and a few guys who have been actually healthy Lee, Terry,Bass, MWP

Dwight can get all the shots he could want with no other volume shooters on the squad and this team could play very good defense.

Why not for the Celtics? Sending the faces of the franchise to the Lakers! I would seriously have to not hate the Lakers for a few years.

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2013, 04:27:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Trading Rondo for Dwight would have about the same impact as trading Cliff Hagan and Ed Macauley for Bill Russell, or trading Rickey Brown and Joe Barry Carroll for Robert Parish and Kevin McHale.

Danny Ainge would be in the conversation of Greatest GMs of All Time Not Named Auerbach.

If Dwight would have an impact remotely comparable to Russell or Parish and McHale then he'd have a title or two by now.

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2013, 07:34:26 AM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Howard is the more dominant of the two. I love Rondo, but it's a trade you'd have to seriously consider, especially if Howard signs an long term extension. It would be interesting to see the team Ainge would build around him.

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2013, 09:19:42 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

Yes!

79 (69.9%)

NO!

34 (30.1%)

The results are shown clear that 70% of people agree the deal Rondo-Howard!! Go Danny do it...

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Hate to interrupt the poll, but no one has offered up a legitimate reason why Kupchak would move Howard for an injured player whose absence has rejuvenated his team.

There aren't enough basketballs for Rondo and Kobe.

It isn't happening.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Hate to interrupt the poll, but no one has offered up a legitimate reason why Kupchak would move Howard for an injured player whose absence has rejuvenated his team.

There aren't enough basketballs for Rondo and Kobe.

It isn't happening.

Here are some possible factors weighing in:

1. Playoff possibilities are very low.

2. Howard's trade value are not that high at the moment, considering he won't commit to anyone.

3. Lakers traded a lot of their draft picks.

4. Howard will probably walk after this season, leaving the Lakers with little assets to improve, while still being way above the cap.

5. You gain Rondo at a discount for a few years, which will let you improve your team during a time when your options are severely limited, plus a young piece that will help you rebuild in 2 years.

At a glance, this is as much a win-win trade as it comes.

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I get how people love to assemble eight-team trades where every member of every roster gets moved and all that.

Just saying that if Mitch wants to move Howard, he can do better than Rondo. There's a reason why Danny hasn't been able to move Rondo, as much as people here don't want to admit it.

Although I'd love watching Kobe trying to cope while Rondo pounds the ball for 16 seconds at the top of the key searching for an assist. That would be enough entertainment to turn me into an 82-game Laker watcher on League Pass.

People refuse to see that which they don't want to believe.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I get how people love to assemble eight-team trades where every member of every roster gets moved and all that.

Just saying that if Mitch wants to move Howard, he can do better than Rondo. There's a reason why Danny hasn't been able to move Rondo, as much as people here don't want to admit it.

To what team exactly? Howard at the moment is a player with health issues on a one year rental. How many teams are lining up to get on that deal by giving the Lakers real assets?

The uncertainty of Howard's future severely dampens his value. It wasn't like Orlando hit the lottery of player talent when they moved him.

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

According to Danny it's because he's not trying to move Rondo, as much as people here don't want to admit it.

Too funny.

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

According to Danny it's because he's not trying to move Rondo, as much as people here don't want to admit it.

Too funny.
  danny offered rondo for cp3 (who didn't have a long term contract and was coming  off injury)What makes you think he wouldn't for dwight?