Poll

I understand the salaries do not match, but hypothetically: Would you trade Rondo for Dwight?

Yes!
NO!

Author Topic: Would you trade Rondo for Dwight? (Poll)  (Read 11887 times)

Re: Would you trade Rondo for Dwight? (Poll)
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
No brainer?   Has he helped the Lakers?  That is right, he has not!

Stop man...What kind of logic is that???

The kind that's identical to your "trade Rondo" logic?

I following your wrong logic. You do not like DH12 beacuase he did not helped LAL...

I didn't say anything about not liking Dwight. I'm just saying that you're complaining about someone making the same argument about Howard that you keep making about Rondo.

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My initial reaction last night was maybe.  Probably leaning slightly towards yes.  After thinking about it some more, while I still wouldn't dismiss it out of hand (depending on what other parts are included), I'm pretty solidly in the "NO" camp.

Rondo just has so much more of that "winners mentality" than Howard does.  I'd beg you all to go ask KG or Kobe (two players who are widely accepted as the fiercest competitors in the game).  I'd bet everything I own those two would rather have Rondo on their side.  That is all you need to know, IMHO.

Plus, I am more concerned about Howard's back than I an Rondo's knee.

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
  I'd beg you all to go ask KG or Kobe (two players who are widely accepted as the fiercest competitors in the game).  I'd bet everything I own those two would rather have Rondo on their side.

I beg you to think: Who is gona improve more Cs team, Rondo or Howard

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im down to trade rondo for the right player, but no way i want that idiot howard in green!!

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
What has Dwight Howard accomplished in his career, along with his back and shoulder injuries, that would make him a desirable addition to this team?

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
What has Dwight Howard accomplished in his career, along with his back and shoulder injuries, that would make him a desirable addition to this team?

He went into NBa final 2009 having a modest team(Turkogly, Nelson). 4 times defensive player of the NBA. 7 times All star member, being 5 times starter, being only 27 years old now. What he did before, does mean anything. Remeber KG @ T'Wolves

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 03:54:13 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm not a huge Howard fan.  He's not good enough offensively to carry a team to a title and he's come up small in a lot of big games.  Still, he's an elite defender and rebounder, and likely the best center in the NBA. 

That said, for all the recent success since Rondo's injury, it won't keep up to the tune of title #18 with the way things are going now. 

If Ainge is convinced Rondo is too much of a diva to build a team around, a trade for Howard is very intriguing.  It'd give the Celtics a chance to win #18 right now.  Could you imagine a defense anchored by Howard, KG, and Bradley? 

As for next year, one of two things happen.

The money talks and Howard stays.  Or if he walks, we go into full rebuilding mode from scratch. 

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I am more concerned about Rondo's ball-stopping offensive style and his growing reluctance to muster anything close to an acceptable defensive effort.

I don't think for a minute LA would take Rondo today for Howard.

But I'd move him for Howard in a second if they would. Always move a 1 for a 5. Always.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I'd only do the Rondo/Howard deal, if it's Rondo plus picks, for Howard.

Otherwise, it would be like what happened in the 90s, when Houston traded all their glue players for Charles Barkley and then, had a team with one aging shooting guard (with worn out legs) Drexler, an aging frontline of Olajuwon & Barkley, and zero bench. It was pretty clear that the Rockets would never see a title afterwards.

For the Cs, losing Rondo alone, would be worth it, as all the glue players would stick around, and form a system to support Pierce/KG, with Howard in the middle for defense and rebounding. And that's fine, a 8-10 ppg, 8-10 rpg, 0 assists, perhaps a shot block or two big man in the middle. I can live with that.

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I am more concerned about Rondo's ball-stopping offensive style and his growing reluctance to muster anything close to an acceptable defensive effort.

I don't think for a minute LA would take Rondo today for Howard.

But I'd move him for Howard in a second if they would. Always move a 1 for a 5. Always.

But you're not concerned about Howard's immature attitude, and seeming lack of "killer instinct"?

Howard has even more flaws than Rondo does.

I suspect you listen to far too much Michael Felger.

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 06:07:19 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I would trade Rondo for just about any all-star or fringe all-star in the NBA. Get KG and Pierce some reinforcements for their last run by dealing Rondo, and let those guys ride off into the sunset.

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm not a huge Howard fan.  He's not good enough offensively to carry a team to a title and he's come up small in a lot of big games.  Still, he's an elite defender and rebounder, and likely the best center in the NBA. 

That said, for all the recent success since Rondo's injury, it won't keep up to the tune of title #18 with the way things are going now. 

If Ainge is convinced Rondo is too much of a diva to build a team around, a trade for Howard is very intriguing.  It'd give the Celtics a chance to win #18 right now.  Could you imagine a defense anchored by Howard, KG, and Bradley? 

As for next year, one of two things happen.

The money talks and Howard stays.  Or if he walks, we go into full rebuilding mode from scratch.

I think this is right for this year.

But what are our pieces going forward?

Sully, Bradley, Lee, Green, Bass...Melo I guess...middling pick in weak draft this year.

Bradley/Barbosa
Lee/
Green/
Bass/Sully
.../Wilcox/Melo

Need that go-to scorer.  That lineup would struggle to score 70.

We need a star to complement KG/Pierce, and we need one to succeed them.  Rondo isn't the guy who carries the team to wins (or will carry them to more losses than wins).

Who supports wins now and makes sense to build with going forward?  DH is a possibility, of course.  Big Al?  Maybe.

With Lee and Bradley in the corners, and Green and Bass just outside/inside the 3pt line above the FT line, the floor would be pretty open for Big Al or whatever scoring big we can get.

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 06:28:57 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 128
At this point after 92 votes, 2 out of every 3 Celtic fans pull the trigger. Quite interesting.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »

Offline scottwedman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Trading Rondo for Dwight would have about the same impact as trading Cliff Hagan and Ed Macauley for Bill Russell, or trading Rickey Brown and Joe Barry Carroll for Robert Parish and Kevin McHale.

Danny Ainge would be in the conversation of Greatest GMs of All Time Not Named Auerbach.

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 01:23:45 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Trading Rondo for Dwight would have about the same impact as trading Cliff Hagan and Ed Macauley for Bill Russell, or trading Rickey Brown and Joe Barry Carroll for Robert Parish and Kevin McHale.

Danny Ainge would be in the conversation of Greatest GMs of All Time Not Named Auerbach.

He'd have to find a way to throw in the Ice Capades.  No way to ever beat Auerbach these days.

If KG, Pierce, JET, Bradley, and Green are the main cogs of the current roster, that leaves a pretty decent package available for that star big to anchor the present and future teams. 

Rondo, Sully, and Melo are the main bait we have, plus picks and cash, without upsetting the current apple cart.  I'd add Bass to the list, assuming a starting-level big returns to play next to KG.

I'd say Bradley, Lee, Green, and a star big are a nice start to the next phase of greatness for the franchise.

I'm happy to trade Rondo as the main piece of a package, but I'd surely be tempted to go higher for the right piece and include Sully and a pick, but I'd have to be sure it could put us over the top this year.