Author Topic: To the people who don't want to give Josh Smith a max, what's the difference?  (Read 651 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I see a lot of people on here saying they don't want Josh Smith because he will command a max contract this off-season. WHO CARES?!?!

We are already well over the cap for the next 2 season.

Trading green and bass or terry/lee for Smith wouldn't affect our cap at all for the next 2 or 3 seasons because those guys combined are making just about the max as well

So would you rather have role players making a combined max or a borderline all-star?

Kg and pp retire in 2 seasons so you could then add pieces around smith and rondo at that time....

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree with your general concept, but I do think it greatly affects his trade value - as we've seen with guys like Bass and Green on our own team. I like Josh Smith, but don't think he worth the max and [personally] don't think he will get more than 13m.

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
If I'm not mistaken, the max also isn't what it used to be right? No more contracts like Melo's & Amare and more max's like Eric Gordon's contract? Shorter & much less total $ (Except players like the "Rose Rule" who are still permitted to make big time $$)

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I have a feeling that Smith said that because he new Atlanta wouldn't give him the max. He just wants out. I know he was offered 16 mil by Atlanta.

So if we got him we could give him 16.5..:P