Author Topic: Spears and Wojo confirm Celtics and Clippers talking KG  (Read 33732 times)

Re: Spears and Wojo confirm Celtics and Clippers talking KG
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
KG stays and retires.

Same for Pierce.

If they both stay, they will play next year. They would want to give themselves another shot with Rondo back.

« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Y'all are wasting your time.

Garnett said this afternoon at the ASG he's not waiving his no trade.

Case closed.
I get that but if Ainge goes into full bore rebuilding and trades Pierce, Rondo, and/or others in what are clearly rebuilding trades, then KG might actually want to play out his career on a winner.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Case closed.
I get that but if Ainge goes into full bore rebuilding and trades Pierce, Rondo, and/or others in what are clearly rebuilding trades, then KG might actually want to play out his career on a winner.

KG had also said he wouldn't sign with the celtics if the Twolves were to trade him here, and how did that work out?

« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The Clippers are confident that they could change Kevin Garnett's mind about a trade to join their team, according to Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports.
Garnett has a no-trade clause and he also said he bleeds green, so the Clippers may have their work cut out for themselves. The Celtics winning eight of their last 10 games puts them in a bit of a jam because it's unclear whether they will be buyers or sellers. Garnett's value would be best suited on Boston and his owners shouldn't be expecting him to be dealt.

Source: Marc Spears on Twitter

It's quite interesting that 18 years in the NBA, and people around the league still don't understand Kevin Garnett.

« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2013, 05:17:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Case closed.

KG had also said he wouldn't sign with the celtics if the Twolves were to trade him here, and how did that work out?

I will never understand the haste some of you have to burn this franchise to the ground and go back to the days when y'all were vastly overrating the brain-dead Gerald Green.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I will never understand the haste some of you have to burn this franchise to the ground and go back to the days when y'all were vastly overrating the brain-dead Gerald Green.

I don't get it, either.  Losing in the second round isn't always a lot of fun, but it infinitely beats 90% of the fan base rooting for losses and hoping that our best players get "injured".

KG came back with the understanding that Danny was going to try to contend.  To trade him now is a betrayal. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2013, 05:27:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Case closed.

I'm not saying I would trade KG, I wouldn't do this deal with the clippers. I'm just saying that if Ainge and the Clippers agree on a deal, they can change KG's mind about the no-trade clause.

« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What about sticking a pin in this idea and saving it for the off-season?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I don't get it, either.  Losing in the second round isn't always a lot of fun, but it infinitely beats 90% of the fan base rooting for losses and hoping that our best players get "injured".

KG came back with the understanding that Danny was going to try to contend.  To trade him now is a betrayal.

Indeed it is.

It would seem to me that Danny has one of two avenues - assuming, as I do, that the Lakers aren't going to be interested in unloading Howard for an injured guard right now. If they are, then that's a no-brainer avenue to explore, as I believe Ainge will push his efforts to move Rondo once he is recovered:

1. See if Atlanta's seriously interested in moving Josh Smith, a deal I have misgivings about because I hate Smith's perimeter game and his short attention span on the floor.

2. Let it ride and pick up a big off the buyout lists, preferably. Don't see anything in the D League that interests me.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

1.  Rondo is done for the year.  So is Sully and Barbosa.  For this team to contend now would be one of the greatest and most totally unexplainable things to ever happen in sports history.  I mean, can anyone think of a team in Boston's situation that EVER won a championship?

2.  KG would have to agree to any trade.  You can't betray someone when you have to get their consent to do it.

3.  Ainge's responsibility is to think about contending for the next 10 years and beyond, not just this year.

I lived through the post-Bird years and unless a couple of really good players just up and die on the Celtics and we get a complete buffoon like Pitino running things again, I feel safe in saying that the rebuilding process won't be anywhere near as bad as that.  So, I'm perfectly fine with KG and Pierce retiring in green.  But I won't be outraged if Ainge can find a way to get 3 or 4 years of that process done in one fell swoop while also giving KG and Pierce better chances to win another ring.

Mike

« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

But out of curiosity, why does DeAndre Jordan only play 25 minutes a game?  He averages 9 points, 7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks on 60% shooting but is only getting 25 minutes a night.  What's up with that?

Even 36 year old KG is getting 30 minutes a night.  Someone like Dwight gets 35 minutes a night.

I can think of a pretty good reason why he only gets 25 minutes per game: he's not a very good NBA player.

The same phenomenon exists with Bledsoe. Point guard sized shooting guard that can't shoot very well???!!!!!

OH MY GOSH WHERE DO I SIGN?!

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

1.  Rondo is done for the year.  So is Sully and Barbosa.  For this team to contend now would be one of the greatest and most totally unexplainable things to ever happen in sports history.  I mean, can anyone think of a team in Boston's situation that EVER won a championship?

2.  KG would have to agree to any trade.  You can't betray someone when you have to get their consent to do it.

3.  Ainge's responsibility is to think about contending for the next 10 years and beyond, not just this year.

I lived through the post-Bird years and unless a couple of really good players just up and die on the Celtics and we get a complete buffoon like Pitino running things again, I feel safe in saying that the rebuilding process won't be anywhere near as bad as that.  So, I'm perfectly fine with KG and Pierce retiring in green.  But I won't be outraged if Ainge can find a way to get 3 or 4 years of that process done in one fell swoop while also giving KG and Pierce better chances to win another ring.

Mike

You mean to contend IN ABOUT 10 years? The team we will able to put together isn't going to contend for anything anytime soon!

So if it's really about contending then he has that team (with a couple tweaks) right now.

How many teams do a fast turnaround to contention? Exactly. Most teams are garbage for YEARS before they even get contender status then even more years until they win.

Sure it's probably quite a long shot for this team as currently constructed to win a title but at least they have a shot! I mean, yes KG and PP are old but they are top 5 at their positions even now! Winning chips is a bit of luck, great talents, and a bit of desperation! Our team has all that... if we can make minor changes who knows what we could do?

Get us Dalembert and a solid PG and we're cooking!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2013, 06:02:41 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I wonder if a bait and switch isn't in effect. To me, I see a Pierce trade to a contender without much cap room as far more likely because we could (I think) get Pierce back next season (assuming his option isn't picked up). If KG gets traded, he's gone. I get the interest in a trade - we can't realistically compete for a title without our best player and some key reserves. But...the trade needs to net us some real talent in return. KG for Bledsoe/Jordan doesn't really do it for me. Pierce for similar talent could work b/c, again, I could see Pierce returning next year for one final run. But...yeah, I don't see any point in trading either KG or Pierce unless we get really good talent in return b/c they're both still producing, and if they retire, we have lots of cap space (which isn't necessarily great, but at least it gives us some options).

« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder if a bait and switch isn't in effect. To me, I see a Pierce trade to a contender without much cap room as far more likely because we could (I think) get Pierce back next season (assuming his option isn't picked up).

Pierce has a partially guaranteed final year, not an option.  If traded and waived, he couldn't come back.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Again, I don't want to trade KG.  I want him to retire a Celtic. 

But out of curiosity, why does DeAndre Jordan only play 25 minutes a game?  He averages 9 points, 7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks on 60% shooting but is only getting 25 minutes a night.  What's up with that?

Even 36 year old KG is getting 30 minutes a night.  Someone like Dwight gets 35 minutes a night.

I'd like KG to retire a Celtic as well.

Jordan plays 25 minutes because he's suited to play 25 minutes.  His game is far too limited for him to be on the floor for very long.