Author Topic: Spears and Wojo confirm Celtics and Clippers talking KG  (Read 33532 times)

Re: Spears and Wojo confirm Celtics and Clippers talking KG
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
1) This trade does not make the C's anymore competitive for a title in the near future.  Bledsoe and Jordan are both decent players and good defenders.  They are supplementary pieces.

2) I have no doubt that the Clips want KG, and are the ones pushing this discussion.  This is the same Clips team that the Rondo-less Celtics just beat, and they are reeling.  They are going nowhere fast...almost the opposite of the Celtics right now.

3) KG is probably the last person on the roster I would trade at this moment, maybe save for Bradley.  He is more valuable to this team than anyone else, including Pierce.  Unless you are blowing the entire team up, he does not get traded.
1. It seems like you are assuming they won't get better. They are supplementary pieces now, but both have elite athleticism at important positions and should improve.
2. The Clippers were reeling but then Chris Paul came back and they started smashing teams.
3. To me the only reason to trade KG would be if he was retiring at the end of the year

I am not saying they can't get better.  But I am also saying they currently are borderline NBA starters playing for a team that, without their star PG, has been worse than the Celtics.

If Danny knows for a 100% fact that KG is done after this year (which to me would be odd since he signed a 3-year contract...why leave that money on the table?) then yes I agree he should try to get KG and Pierce on winning ballclubs and get as much back in return for them.

I don't think KG is retiring.  And if he really wants to retire a Celtic, why would he tell Danny then?

« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Again, I don't want to trade KG.  I want him to retire a Celtic. 

But out of curiosity, why does DeAndre Jordan only play 25 minutes a game?  He averages 9 points, 7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks on 60% shooting but is only getting 25 minutes a night.  What's up with that?

Even 36 year old KG is getting 30 minutes a night.  Someone like Dwight gets 35 minutes a night.   

« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Again, I don't want to trade KG.  I want him to retire a Celtic. 

But out of curiosity, why does DeAndre Jordan only play 25 minutes a game?  He averages 9 points, 7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks on 60% shooting but is only getting 25 minutes a night.  What's up with that?

Even 36 year old KG is getting 30 minutes a night.  Someone like Dwight gets 35 minutes a night.

They usually can't play him late or its Hack-A-Jordan

Also he's a victim of a deep roster, just like Barbosa was
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
1) This trade does not make the C's anymore competitive for a title in the near future.  Bledsoe and Jordan are both decent players and good defenders.  They are supplementary pieces.

2) I have no doubt that the Clips want KG, and are the ones pushing this discussion.  This is the same Clips team that the Rondo-less Celtics just beat, and they are reeling.  They are going nowhere fast...almost the opposite of the Celtics right now.

3) KG is probably the last person on the roster I would trade at this moment, maybe save for Bradley.  He is more valuable to this team than anyone else, including Pierce.  Unless you are blowing the entire team up, he does not get traded.
1. It seems like you are assuming they won't get better. They are supplementary pieces now, but both have elite athleticism at important positions and should improve.
2. The Clippers were reeling but then Chris Paul came back and they started smashing teams.
3. To me the only reason to trade KG would be if he was retiring at the end of the year

I am not saying they can't get better.  But I am also saying they currently are borderline NBA starters playing for a team that, without their star PG, has been worse than the Celtics.

If Danny knows for a 100% fact that KG is done after this year (which to me would be odd since he signed a 3-year contract...why leave that money on the table?) then yes I agree he should try to get KG and Pierce on winning ballclubs and get as much back in return for them.

I don't think KG is retiring.  And if he really wants to retire a Celtic, why would he tell Danny then?

If KG is leaning towards retirement,  then this trade makes far less sense for LAC. Let's say this trade goes through, KG retires after the season, then LA squandered two of its best assets for a half season rental. They'd have no starting center and no Bledsoe to dangle to another team to acquire one. That doesn't seem very smart for a team trying to convince CP3 to sign a long-term contract.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If KG is leaning towards retirement,  then this trade makes far less sense for LAC. Let's say this trade goes through, KG retires after the season, then LA squandered two of its best assets for a half season rental. They'd have no starting center and no Bledsoe to dangle to another team to acquire one. That doesn't seem very smart for a team trying to convince CP3 to sign a long-term contract.
I'd say it's hardly squandering assets if KG leads them to a title.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I'd say it's hardly squandering assets if KG leads them to a title.

Yea, if they get a title this year, it's more than worth it. I mean, they are the Clippers!!! They have never sniffed an NBA title!

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Y'all are wasting your time.

Garnett said this afternoon at the ASG he's not waiving his no trade.

Case closed.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2013, 04:19:34 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I so miss the days when many players wore the same jersey for their whole careers. I would much rather see KG and the captain retire here.

« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »

Offline celty86

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
As much as some may want to see this happen these are the realities:

I don't think the owners want to see the two icons (PP & KG) moved. Bad for business even if they know that they probably won't get by Miami. Two playoff rounds still get them a decent amount of money in their coffers. 

Ainge's primary motive is to win with KG & PP and try to add to them if possible. When they retire he will see what options are available at that time.

The Clippers do not want to deal away two young pieces from their team for an all or nothing run at this year's finals. They would need KG to have more impact for this season than Bledsoe & Jordan (quite possibly)but the impact would slowly vanish as KG ages in the next couple of years and the Clips would miss Bledsoe and Jordan. If they added KG but subtracted youth would that convince CP3 to want to stay with them long term? KG would be gone in 3 years, Bledsoe and Jordan won't. CP3 knows this.

End of the day, I think it could be a quiet trade deadline. Maybe a small trade by Danny.   

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I so miss the days when many players wore the same jersey for their whole careers. I would much rather see KG and the captain retire here.

tp, sir.

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
To create a situation where KG would be willing to waive his no-trade clause, I suspect that you would have to fire Doc in addition to trading away Pierce.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It sucks to be Danny right now. I don't hate the trade, but I don't love it. I hate the idea of trading Garnett, but I see it as almost necessary.

This. TP.

« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Clippers are confident that they could change Kevin Garnett's mind about a trade to join their team, according to Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports.
Garnett has a no-trade clause and he also said he bleeds green, so the Clippers may have their work cut out for themselves. The Celtics winning eight of their last 10 games puts them in a bit of a jam because it's unclear whether they will be buyers or sellers. Garnett's value would be best suited on Boston and his owners shouldn't be expecting him to be dealt.

Source: Marc Spears on Twitter

« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2013, 05:04:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
KG stays and retires.

Same for Pierce.