Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?  (Read 55503 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2013, 11:44:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think this trade has legs. Nobody is admitting to anything. Or maybe Mitch will call Danny and ask him "hey did you hear about this rumor" and in the end both would say, hey it would actually be a good deal wouldn't it? i would laugh it that happened

I would jump on this trade. KG even if he retires at the end of this year, would train DH to play like a man for once.

DH playing like a real man, would be scary.

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

That said, in some magical land where we could land him for our broken point guard who even when he was healthy couldn't fetch chronically injured Steph Curry or 32 year old Pau Gasol... sign me up twice.

Ouch.
If you believe the several rumors, that's how they reported it.  Warriors turned us down and the Lakers turned us down... obviously the Hornets didn't want Rondo for Chris Paul either... and FYI, it's now coming out that the Lakers and Celtics may have indeed talked... a few weeks ago when Rondo was still healthy.  I bet the Celtics initiated it and it got shot down.

There's absolutely no way the Lakers would give up the best big in the league for a point guard who is injured for a year.

Just to correct you slightly, Rondo will be out approximately 6-7 months. It was a partial tear. He should be ready for camp and the start of the season.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think this trade has legs. Nobody is admitting to anything. Or maybe Mitch will call Danny and ask him "hey did you hear about this rumor" and in the end both would say, hey it would actually be a good deal wouldn't it? i would laugh it that happened

I would jump on this trade. KG even if he retires at the end of this year, would train DH to play like a man for once.

they talked before rondo got injured and destroyed what little trade value he had. 

The lakers could get a lot more for HOward than an injured point guard.

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2013, 11:48:14 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Judging by the way Danny operates, I have no doubt that this rumor is true

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2013, 11:49:31 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Folks think this way...
Cs without Rondo are playnig better, and getting better score. Can you imagine, if Cs will add Howard, HOW STRONG THIS TEAM WILL BE?

I can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

That said, in some magical land where we could land him for our broken point guard who even when he was healthy couldn't fetch chronically injured Steph Curry or 32 year old Pau Gasol... sign me up twice.

yeah totally agree with these statements. let's do this if it's true.

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2013, 11:52:30 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The only thing that makes this modestly plausible to me, is that Howard is going to be a FA. If the Lakers really believe he's gone, Rondo as the basis for a deal may very well be the best thing out there. We could potentially add Bradley, Sullinger or picks.

Rondo, Bass + 1st rounder?

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2013, 11:58:37 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
lol, i remember posting this trade idea (not as a thread, but as a reply to the multiple trade threads here) some while back.

It just makes sense to me. A star for a star. C's need a big man who can rebound and block shots. Lakers need a PG who can defend other PGs. It would've made sense, especially a month ago. Kobe loves Rondo. Dwight is non-committal about resigning in the off-season. For them, i'd think getting Rondo is a pretty sweet deal. I don't remember what Orlando got for Dwight, but i don't think it was close to getting someone of Rondo's caliber.

Of course there are still hurdles to getting things done: 1) Rondo out for the year (so how will he come back next year?); and 2) Gasol out for the year (so who will play as their center this year?). This is in addition to the initial hurdles that were already there: 1) That they're the Lakers and we're the Celtics; 2) What do the Lakers do with Nash?
- LilRip

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2013, 12:02:06 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
 This rumor is brilliant!  And I'll tell you why-  even if this has zero legs at all it gives Rondo trade value again
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2013, 12:02:44 AM »

Offline jamala22

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

Ouch.
If you believe the several rumors, that's how they reported it.  Warriors turned us down and the Lakers turned us down... obviously the Hornets didn't want Rondo for Chris Paul either... and FYI, it's now coming out that the Lakers and Celtics may have indeed talked... a few weeks ago when Rondo was still healthy.  I bet the Celtics initiated it and it got shot down.

There's absolutely no way the Lakers would give up the best big in the league for a point guard who is injured for a year.

Just to correct you slightly, Rondo will be out approximately 6-7 months. It was a partial tear. He should be ready for camp and the start of the season.

They did surgery on it, it's going to be the typical ACL time frame.  8 months at the absolute earliest (Think Adrian Peterson).  I rehab these every day and have had 2 done on myself.

« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2013, 12:05:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

they talked before rondo got injured and destroyed what little trade value he had. 

The lakers could get a lot more for HOward than an injured point guard.

This trade has legs part 2 if Mitch approaches Danny again.

Before the injury, the lakers had a big adv, getting rondo who is signed for a few more years for basically a star player (DH) that will be a FA after this season.

NOW bc of the injury (just a partial tear) and the celts so close being one piece away from becoming favorites, they may just take the risk and bring in howard just to play for rest of the year. Danny knows the celts are playing better without Rondo, so losing him and getting cap space relieve worse case scenario for next year would be ok anyways.

The lakers will get Gasol back and Howard has proven to be a nothing for them. Actually make things worse in the locker room. Kobe has repeatedly stated how much he likes rondo as a player.

So if this trade does happen

To Lakers: Rondo + Bass + Melo
To Bos: Dwight Howard + Jordan Hill

2013 best case for Bos: Win it all , DH learns to play like a man from kg's influence and signs 4 year deal. Jordan Hill comeback from injury 100 percent and becomes an important piece off the bench

Worse case: Celts don't win. DH leaves for FA but Jordan Hill comesback healthy. Plus with capspace avail go after some key FA's

2013 best case for Lakers: Howard's lose means nothing. Rondo is 100 percent for 2014 and you get a dynamic backcourt duo in kobe and rondo.

Worse case: Rondo comesback not 100 percent in 2014 or clashes with Kobe. 

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Anyone who wouldn't trade rondo for Howard is nuts.  You do it every day of the week and twice in Sunday. 

Of course, no way in hell rondo (even if healthy) could bring back Howard in a trade.  So no reason to entertain this idea very long.

Re: Rondo for Dwight?
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2013, 12:09:10 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Please. This is beyond stupid. Dwight Howard is a knucklehead who really doesn't care about winning. Not interested.

Ditto. And on top of that, because of the fact that Rondo makes significantly less than Howard, we'd have to give up a bunch in addition to Rondo to acquire said knucklehead. No thanks.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2013, 12:11:02 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Anyone who wouldn't trade rondo for Howard is nuts.  You do it every day of the week and twice in Sunday. 

Of course, no way in hell rondo (even if healthy) could bring back Howard in a trade.  So no reason to entertain this idea very long.

pre Orl howard no, but Laker Howard yes , esp if Rondo was still healthy.

The guys value has gone quite a bit. From franchise to a wimp. Nobody is going to give up a ton to get him now. If he doesn't reform with the lakers soon , you may see another Gilbert Arenas part 2 soon

« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2013, 12:17:08 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Ouch.

They did surgery on it, it's going to be the typical ACL time frame.  8 months at the absolute earliest (Think Adrian Peterson).  I rehab these every day and have had 2 done on myself.

Everybody including ainge is saying rondo should be ready for camp. I understand the normal timeframe and that peterson was back in september after a late january op, but everyone is saying he will be at least moving about the court at camp. I will believe them.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?