Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?  (Read 55511 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »

Offline __34__

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
If this was for real, I think people should be pretty psyched. We all know that the Lakers [and Kobe] covet Rondo. Being able to reel in a player like Dwight would be humongous. I am all for keeping Rondo and there are only like 6-7 players I would trade him for...Dwight is one of them, even with all his recent shortcomings.

Yup, most Laker fans I know have major respect for Rondo. As for Dwight, we all saw last week that he isn't healthy yet, KG has been better this season than Dwight, so I am not sure how much this would help us this season.

Re: Rondo for Dwight?
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As the article says, there's "no traction", so I can't imagine there's any seriousness to this.

That said, I'd do this deal in a second.  I don't know why LA would, though.  They've already got Nash, and it seems like trading for an injured Rondo would basically be throwing a year of Kobe's career away.

Would you do Rondo and Pierce for Howard and Nash?

I would say Green and Bass instead of Pierce, but the Lakers reportedly don't want to take on long term money for the impending LeBron sweepstakes.

At first thought, Dwight and Nash added to KG, Green, Avery, and co. sounds like an instant title contender...but then I realized that Dwight and Nash with Kobe and Pau has yielded absolutely miserable results...I think I stick with Pierce over Nash.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 09:59:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
There's no way Dwight signs an extension here. He's a guy who doesnt seem to care about basketball as much as he cares about his name becoming popular culture. Players don't become pop culture superstars in Boston - they win titles and become hall of fame basketball players. I dont know how much Dwight Howard cares about that.

But he's not happy in LA and if he cared solely about "pop culture" he would undoubtedly want to stay there. Perhaps a trade to our team and culture would change his tune.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I don't like the trade, but Ken Berger has turned out, IMO, to be one of if not THE best sources out there.

The vast majority of his stuff seems to have some traction to it.

There is something to this "rumor"....

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I don't like the trade, but Ken Berger has turned out, IMO, to be one of if not THE best sources out there.

But Mitch and Howard already confirmed he's not getting traded... soo....
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
As the article says, there's "no traction", so I can't imagine there's any seriousness to this.

That said, I'd do this deal in a second.  I don't know why LA would, though.  They've already got Nash, and it seems like trading for an injured Rondo would basically be throwing a year of Kobe's career away.

I would say Green and Bass instead of Pierce, but the Lakers reportedly don't want to take on long term money for the impending LeBron sweepstakes.

At first thought, Dwight and Nash added to KG, Green, Avery, and co. sounds like an instant title contender...but then I realized that Dwight and Nash with Kobe and Pau has yielded absolutely miserable results...I think I stick with Pierce over Nash.

Gasol and Howard are an awful fit together when paired in D'Antoni's offense. Kobe and Nash are also poor fits because they both need the ball. On the other hand, I think KG and Howard would be an amazing fit. Plus, I think Nash in pick and pops with KG and Bass, or on pick and rolls would with Howard would be a nice combination as long as they have shooters, which LA doesn't, that can keep the help D from cheating.

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Cs do it in a heartbeat. Good luck, Danny!

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
There's no way Dwight signs an extension here. He's a guy who doesnt seem to care about basketball as much as he cares about his name becoming popular culture. Players don't become pop culture superstars in Boston - they win titles and become hall of fame basketball players. I dont know how much Dwight Howard cares about that.

I get that Dwight has been a Diva for the last year or so, but I never quite got this thinking.

If Dwight wanted his name known, wouldn't LA be the absolute perfect place to make that happen? He simply wanted to play for NY or Brooklyn before this season. Is it possible he's just an east coast guy? Boston is a mere 200 miles from NY. Again, I love love love Rondo, but when you have a chance to acquire a top tier center, you do it.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
You know, for all my Dwight hate angle... from a different perspective, he's kinda a hero for Celtics fan.

He single-handedly destroyed the enemy this season.

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ainge kicking the tires that's all.

I doubt Dwight would want to come here without Rondo to play with. His enthusiasm would be necessary for the Cs to make such a move.

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I definitely believe them. I mean if Mitch were dangling Howard in trades what better way to increase trade leverage and boost team morale then by publicly stating you're doing so.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
The question is would you trade rondo for dwight if it meant winning the title this year? The answer for me is yes. Dwight tastes winning he resigns I bet.

Would have to be rondo and bass for dwight to make the money work

Bradley
Lee/terry
Pierce/green
Garnett/
Howard
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Gasol and Howard are an awful fit together when paired in D'Antoni's offense. Kobe and Nash are also poor fits because they both need the ball. On the other hand, I think KG and Howard would be an amazing fit. Plus, I think Nash in pick and pops with KG and Bass, or on pick and rolls would with Howard would be a nice combination as long as they have shooters, which LA doesn't, that can keep the help D from cheating.

I get 'fit' in terms of pure basketball talent, but when you have [essentially] four future hall of famers in their mid-late primes, you find a way. This whole season has been about attitude. I get that there have been injuries, but there has been way too much chirping coming out of LA.

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

True, that.

But Ken Berger is not one to just kick stuff around...the man is serious about his work.

He was one of the first to break the lockout ending.

Everything I've seen from him since has considerable substance to it.

As I stated early - I'd hate to see Rondo go - especially for Dwight Howard.

I just don't trust DH anymore.

But Ken Berger? Not one to toss stuff out there for just entertainment....

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

True, that.

But Ken Berger is not one to just kick stuff around...the man is serious about his work.

He was one of the first to break the lockout ending.

Everything I've seen from him since has considerable substance to it.

As I stated early - I'd hate to see Rondo go - especially for Dwight Howard.

I just don't trust DH anymore.

But Ken Berger? Not one to toss stuff out there for just entertainment....

If you can't trust the Lakers GM and the player being traded (who was personally told), there there's no one to trust.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"