Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?  (Read 55353 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The one thing I'd miss if Rondo were traded is the non-stop romanticizing about an obviously flawed played on this board.

I'd miss all of the posters that are overly impressed with themselves for being able to identify flaws in Rondo's game and assume that people are less critical are unable to see them.

I rest my case.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Posting something like "what has Rondo done" is not a credible post.  Spending a lot of time refuting a post like this doesn't make sense.  I will,  however, spend a little time on it. 

Backsliding from that idiotic statement by talking about vague "achievements" doesn't help in the credibility department. 

If one looked at Rondo v. D-Ho objectively, he would see a first team NBA/multiple DPOY guy and a top of the league PG with an impressive post-season resume.  Howard's post season resume is similar to his regular season one.  Rondo has thrived in some huge playoff moments, including a close out win in his first Finals appearance, when he put up a 21/7/8/6 game.  That game alone should preclude anyone from saying "what has Rondo done" never mind the 7 game playoff where he almost averaged a triple double. 

Despite Rondo's achievements, the Lakers would be selling low if they moved Howard for Rondo.  If they could get Green and a pick or two, and had a strong feeling that Howard was going to bounce on them this summer, then they might make that trade. LA still has one of the best centers on the planet on their roster, in Gasol.  Having Nash and Rondo makes little sense, but this roster as presently constituted doesn't either.  They could ship Nash out of town this summer for Marion, and have a nice expiring deal to add to Kobe's and Gasol's final year.  The Lakers would be on the hook for only the $22m  for Rondo and Green in the "LeBron Summer" of 2014. 

Regarding the argument that the Lakers would be wasting one of Kobe's seasons, their chances of even slipping to the 8th seed aren't good,and even if they manage to slip into the playoffs as presently constituted, they're first round chum for the Spurs or Thunder.       

« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
The one thing I'd miss if Rondo were traded is the non-stop romanticizing about an obviously flawed played on this board.

Obviously flawed?  Every player in the world is obviously flawed.  Every human being in this world is obviously flawed.

What is Rondo's flaw exactly?  He can't shoot 3's at a high percentage and sucks at free throws?  That's ironic in a post about trading Rondo for Howard.  Rondo shoots 48% from the field for his career which is one of the best in the league for guards by the way.  Rondo costs us 1 point a game from his poor free throw shooting.  Howard costs his teams 4 points per game at the line.

Or is it his completely unsupported reputation (that is contrary to every Celtics player, coach, GM or legend that has been interviewed) of being a head case?  again extremely ironic in a thread about trading Rondo for Howard.  Just ask Van Gundy, Otis Smith, Kobe, Nash or Kupchack. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

And the pomposity of same.

This site on Rondo is actually worth a pay subscription for the entertainment.

Condescend much?  All but a few NBA players are flawed.    Pomposity isn't the exclusive realm of the Rondo lovers either.

« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2013, 05:42:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Obviously flawed?  Every player in the world is obviously flawed.  Every human being in this world is obviously flawed.

What is Rondo's flaw exactly?  He can't shoot 3's at a high percentage and sucks at free throws?  That's ironic in a post about trading Rondo for Howard.  Rondo shoots 48% from the field for his career which is one of the best in the league for guards by the way.  Rondo costs us 1 point a game from his poor free throw shooting.  Howard costs his teams 4 points per game at the line.

Or is it his completely unsupported reputation (that is contrary to every Celtics player, coach, GM or legend that has been interviewed) of being a head case?  again extremely ironic in a thread about trading Rondo for Howard.  Just ask Van Gundy, Otis Smith, Kobe, Nash or Kupchack.

Howard makes Rondo look like Patron Saint when it comes to "mentality".

« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'd miss all of the posters that are overly impressed with themselves for being able to identify flaws in Rondo's game and assume that people are less critical are unable to see them.

I rest my case.

Too funny. You don't even realize you're making my point.

« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2013, 06:03:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Obviously flawed?  Every player in the world is obviously flawed.

Yes, but Rondo has flaws almost anyone can see, especially if they read about them online before they watch the games.

« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2013, 06:14:40 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I'd miss all the posters who get called 'Rondo haters' for not praising Rondo like a deity, and who use reason and facts when making a well-constructed and polite criticism of Rondo.

« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
In the most construed analogy I can come up with, when it comes to D12, I find that we often act akin to an insecure boy who states that the hottest girl in the class is "really only a 2, she's not that pretty!" but upon learning we have a chance with her, infatuated puppies we become.

Ok I'm done.
I can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

That said, in some magical land where we could land him for our broken point guard who even when he was healthy couldn't fetch chronically injured Steph Curry or 32 year old Pau Gasol... sign me up twice.

If anything this shows how foolish people were to take reported rumors as fact. Somehow the Lakers would discuss Dwight Howard for Rondo but the wouldn't consider trading an older, lesser player for him? Too funny.
I think the rationalization fueling this is:

1) Lakers suck with him
2) he's damaged (we'll ignore the fact that the same can definitely be said for Rondo)
3) Kobe doesn't like him
4) He's a free agent after this season, and this season is lost, so let's deal him while we can still get something for him.

I can definitely see why the Lakers might be exploring their options with Dwight. I'm just pointing out that they were rumored to be discussing trading him for a player I've been repeatedly been assured has little trade value around the league.

Hmmm, yeh I guess I didn't even think about it from the perspective of Rondo' s value. But I guess if you're buying the validity of this rumor then you must also be buying Rondo having some value.  Kobe was buttering up Rondo like a steamin' cob of corn last week for whatever it's worth.

Still, I have a hard believing there's any juice to this one.
Yup

« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2013, 06:33:48 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It's rare but guys get traded hurt. Normally when it's to a team that is lottery bound.

As recently as last year Bogut was traded to GS for Ellis. He missed the remainder of last season after the trade went through and the first half of this year.

Devin Harris was traded for Jason Kidd while hurt too I believe.

It is rare though

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
It's rare but guys get traded hurt. Normally when it's to a team that is lottery bound.

As recently as last year Bogut was traded to GS for Ellis. He missed the remainder of last season after the trade went through and the first half of this year.

Devin Harris was traded for Jason Kidd while hurt too I believe.

It is rare though

Antoine/LaFrenz.

Probably more than I can think of quickly.

Value is obviously down, but there is always a buyer when the price is right.  It depends on what each team is trying to do. 

It's not often stars get traded at all, maybe a couple per year at most, 1-2 transactions?  That's what was really weird about getting Ray Allen (who was coming off surgery) AND KG at the same time while keeping Pierce.  THAT was rare.

But we're talking about that happening in reverse:  getting young, star talents in exchange for an established allstar.  Getting back a Big Al and Gerald Green, plus filler.

So yeah, it's pretty rare.  But the league is in a pretty weird place right now in terms of teams with batches of players, position logjams, etc.  There seem to be quite a few teams that need to balance rotations.

Also, contracts are suddenly shorter, and adding payroll is generally harder.  Shorter contracts make turnover opportunities increase through FA.

I think shorter contracts enable teams that are losing to make moves sooner than they used to, and salary crunches are happening or being foreseen, creating more activity all around. 

An increase in trade activity might be another concession the union gave up in the CBA (less stability for players/families).

But yes, trading Rondo is certainly a possibility.  They probably have quite a few offers, and perhaps a couple that aren't bad.

« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I'd miss all the posters who get called 'Rondo haters' for not praising Rondo like a deity, and who use reason and facts when making a well-constructed and polite criticism of Rondo.

Life on bigsoccer I guess. Saying that Rondo's outside shooting doesn't stop him from being a good player = praising him like a deity, criticisms that don't mesh with any available stats are well constructed and based on reason and facts.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:13:07 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2013, 08:51:43 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I'll say this, if Rondo spent as much time working on his weak areas as Bball Tim spends defending him, Rondo would be a much better player and teammate for sure!

No need to defend him. We all see the great things he has done and does. That does not mean we can't expose his negative traits!

Most great players became great after identifing their weak areas and working on them. Those that believe they need no improvment are destined to under achieve!

blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I'll say this, if Rondo spent as much time working on his weak areas as Bball Tim spends defending him, Rondo would be a much better player and teammate for sure!

No need to defend him. We all see the great things he has done and does. That does not mean we can't expose his negative traits!

Most great players became great after identifing their weak areas and working on them. Those that believe they need no improvment are destined to under achieve!

Rondo's improved his game pretty much every year he's been on the team. This year, for instance, he was much better at taking and making his longish twos. Most great players are better than Rondo when they're younger, they generally don't improve as much as he does.

« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2013, 09:21:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Saying that Rondo's outside shooting doesn't stop him from being a good player = praising him like a deity, criticisms that don't mesh with any available stats are well constructed and based on reason and facts.
This conversation has long moved past Rondo's shooting (which has improved) and is now about his newly found love for dribbling the ball at the top of the key. And yes, there are stats for this, it seems.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."