Author Topic: Jordan says only 4 guys today could play in his era  (Read 11961 times)

Re: Jordan says only 4 guys today could play in his era
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Jordan always was a bit of a prima dona. I do think that NBA basketball was at its peak in the mid to late 80's talent wise per team but only 4 players? Come on, that's ludicrous. It's kind of funny but while Jordan was playing he was constantly called the best to ever play but since he's retired I rarely, if ever, hear it. Personally I dont think he was although he was close.

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Everybody in the league could play except for the big guys who can't rebound and the little guys who can't handle physicality.

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
KG is an obvious omission.  He could play and dominate in any era.  Does MJ really believe that Paul Pierce or Ray Allen or Pau Gasol couldn't have thrived in Jordan's era?  That's just foolishness.

Jordan's career post-Bulls has not been impressive, besides the earnings he continues to get from his tie in with Nike and his other endorsements.  He was a disaster in the front office in Washington, and his Bobcats are arguably the worst NBA franchise of the past 20 years. 

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 08:51:47 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
It'd be a close call but I would take KG, Ray, and Pierce over Dino, Kevin Gamble, and Greg Minor

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
you know what he is: he is David Stern in a body like Jordan. Stern is an egomaniacal man who supported Jordan's career by protecting him from normal refereeing. Stern could see his alter ego out there on the court. Jordan is an awful, awful, man and if he had played under Larry and Kevin and Magic's rules he wouldn't have gone as far.

I'll never forget the blood dripping from Larry's back and side when Rodman lacerated him with his nails. No fouls at all. You breathed on Jordan and he got the call. Wonder why he developed into a massive egomaniac? The normal rules never applied to him

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I really don't see why KG wouldn't be successful in that era - likewise Paul Pierce.

Both of those guys are warriors who play HARD every single night.  Not afraid to talk trash, not afraid to take a hit and get right back up, not afraid to play through pain.

Kevin Garnett (even at his peak) could probably never play center in that era, but as a PF he would be elite.  The only guys I see giving him some trouble would have been Malone and Barkley becuase of their pure bulk-strength, but KG is deceptively strong. 

KG is an ultra talented guy who plays ever asppect of the game well - he's a top tier defender, rebounder, passer and scorer (at least at his peak). 

Paul Pierce especially would have fit that era.  He is toughness personified, and at 6'7" 230lbs he was have absolutely had the muscle and size to bang with any SF from Jordan's era.  Hell he still muscles up with guys like MWP, Lebron and Carmello on a nighly basis.

Rondo, ironically, also would have done very well.  Stockton was never big physically, but he was tought - he never took garbage from anyone, he'd play hurt and he was generally a warrior.  Rondo is a very similar player, and his ability to play hurt would have served him very well back then.

Next is Steve Nash.  Again a guy who is tough, plays through injuries.  He's not big, but he's a guy that doesn't depend entirely on his slashing - he's one of the best shooters and passers of the last decade.  If Stockton could be a great player in that time, so could Nash.

Carmello is another.  He's 6'8" and about 230-240 pounds.  He's big enough that he can take a beating physically, but he's a multi-dimensional scorer and a very good rebounder who could have very easilly done well in an era that saw guys like Glen Rice and Steve Smith be successful.

Ray Allen can do anything that Reggie Miller could do in his time - at his peak he easilly could have been a dominant player in Jordan's era.

Al Jefferson isn't very good defensively, but he's big and he's pretty tough with a good low post game.  He wouldn't have worked as a center, but as a PF he would have done well against guys like Karl Malone. 

Kendrick Perkins (and many other role players like him) would have fit in just as well back then.  Is Jordan going to tell me that Perkins couldn't have been just as successful on his Bulls team as Bill Cartright, Luke Longley or Bill Wellington?

How about somebody like MWP or Gerald Wallace - guys who have very defensive games to Dennis Rodman (based on stregth, toughness and atheticism).

Personally I think Dwyane Wade would have been equally dominant.  He's a very similar player to Jordan in that he's more of a slash who's not really so well known for a great Jumpshot (Jordan was never THAT good an outside shooter).  Wade is pretty strong and bulky for a guard dispite his size, he's always been a very good defender and his combination of strength and athleticism has always made him difficult to match up with.  You can't question his size, because Joe Dumars was no bigger.

Personally I don't really know that Duncan would have fit so much, becuase as much as he has the size and the talent, I'm not sure if he'd have the mental toughness to deal with the physical nature of the league back then.  I always have (and still do) see Duncan as more of a finesse big and too much of a 'nice guy', and I think he would have been beat up on a nightly basis playing regularly in those days. 

I also think Lebron might struggle, because he doesn't deal well with physical basketball and wouldn't get all of the rediculous calls he gets now days.  He'd still be very good, but I don't think he'd be as dominant as he is now, because he'd be knocked on his backside every time he tries to take it to the basket.

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 11:20:38 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
We all know Jordan sucks as a judge of NBA talent.

Ask the Bobcats.

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I love MJ, but not his eye of talent.

Just those 4, really? KG was borderline star in that era. Paul Pierce can do damage in the 90's. He may not be superstar material at that time, but he will start and be productive and drop 20 a night during that era.

That thug DWade can play in the 90's and be productive too. Of course he'll whine a lot.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2013, 11:47:57 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
MJ was probably the best bball player of all time but it's clear that he suffers from some personality/judgement defects. Nothing he says should be taken seriously. Nothing to see here.

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
MJ was probably the best bball player of all time but it's clear that he suffers from some personality/judgement defects. Nothing he says should be taken seriously. Nothing to see here.

"Nothing he says should be taken seriously"

That's not a solution for personality/judgement defects. Where did you hear that from?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"