Author Topic: We already have four of our franchise starters on payroll  (Read 7361 times)

We already have four of our franchise starters on payroll
« on: February 15, 2013, 03:32:19 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sullinger is a great 1-4 group.   All of them can play great defense, Green is a decent rebounder at the 3 and Sullinger and Rondo are obviously natural talents there.  All of them are good passers and play well together.

All that remains is developing them.  We need to maintain this style of offense when Rondo gets back and that means him being able to play off the ball and be a real threat as a shooter.  We can't go back to Green and Bradley sitting in the corners.   They have too much talent and potential for us to waste.

In a dream world, we sign Oden and he miraculously able to stay healthy and we have a great young starting 5 that can play defense.  However that is pretty unlikely, but with four quality starters that we can make a legitimate run at the title with once they develop some, there is absolutely no need to make reckless trades on other guys.

Stay the course, weather the rebuilding era with our youth with the knowledge that it will get better pretty quickly.   Wade is already over the hill and with Durant/Westbrook not knowing how to play defense, they will always be beatable.   With the Knicks still a three point show team that doesn't play playoff defense, the only thing in our way is Lebron.  Lebron is great but we saw in Cleveland he can't do it alone.

Re: We already have four of our franchise starters on payroll
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
So wait a second.....injured rondo, sully and a healthy green Bradley will be able to contend, but wade is old, Lebrun is beatable, the Knicks are nothing and okc can be beaten? Lol

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:47:22 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sullinger is a great 1-4 group.   All of them can play great defense, Green is a decent rebounder at the 3 and Sullinger and Rondo are obviously natural talents there.  All of them are good passers and play well together.

All that remains is developing them.  We need to maintain this style of offense when Rondo gets back and that means him being able to play off the ball and be a real threat as a shooter.  We can't go back to Green and Bradley sitting in the corners.   They have too much talent and potential for us to waste.

In a dream world, we sign Oden and he miraculously able to stay healthy and we have a great young starting 5 that can play defense.  However that is pretty unlikely, but with four quality starters that we can make a legitimate run at the title with once they develop some, there is absolutely no need to make reckless trades on other guys.

Stay the course, weather the rebuilding era with our youth with the knowledge that it will get better pretty quickly.   Wade is already over the hill and with Durant/Westbrook not knowing how to play defense, they will always be beatable.   With the Knicks still a three point show team that doesn't play playoff defense, the only thing in our way is Lebron.  Lebron is great but we saw in Cleveland he can't do it alone.

Rondo and Sullinger both just suffered season ending injuries and face uncertain recoveries.  Rondo will most likely be fine in due time.  Sullinger might suffer from back issues his entire career for all we know.

That said, I wouldn't put that four man group of players over very many of the four man groups in the league, or young four man groups.  Plenty of teams have groups as capable as that foursome.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So wait a second.....injured rondo, sully and a healthy green Bradley will be able to contend, but wade is old, Lebrun is beatable, the Knicks are nothing and okc can be beaten? Lol
Yeah, I find this pretty comical. Sure, that's a solid group of players. But it's missing a franchise guy that would be the best player and go-to guy on your team.

So you pretty much need to add someone like a healthy Andrew Bynum before you can contend for anything.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 03:57:31 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford

The post was clearly talking about the future.  Otherwise KG and Pierce would have been included and obvious Sullinger and Rondo would not have.

Not sure how you could possibly miss something so obvious.
Rondo and Sullinger both just suffered season ending injuries and face uncertain recoveries.  Rondo will most likely be fine in due time.  Sullinger might suffer from back issues his entire career for all we know.

That said, I wouldn't put that four man group of players over very many of the four man groups in the league, or young four man groups.  Plenty of teams have groups as capable as that foursome.
Again, this for the future not for now.

Who?  Besides the Thunder, I don't really see anyone close in terms of young franchise talent to build around.  The Sixers?  Pacers?  Kings?  The Sixers want to blow it up.  The Pacers still can't score and the Kings are a joke.

Against the Thunder we match up pretty well with Bradley and Rondo vs Westbrook and Green against Durant who can at least hope to not give up 50 against him.   

And then there are the Heat who with Wades decline already don't look as good as they did last season.  I fully expect them to turn it up a notch in the playoffs and Lebron is playing better than ever, but 2 or 3 years down the road?  When Wade's contract is a massive burden on the team's cap and he is old and slow and can't rely on his athleticism?  It comes down to, can our team hold on against Lebron, and with Green I say yes.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
Yeah, I find this pretty comical. Sure, that's a solid group of players. But it's missing a franchise guy that would be the best player and go-to guy on your team.

So you pretty much need to add someone like a healthy Andrew Bynum before you can contend for anything.
I disagree.  I think between Rondo and Green they can carry that load.  You don't need to have a Durant to win a championship.  Playoff Rondo would have been the best team on that Pistons squad and I am extremely high on Greens upside.  He won't ever be Pierce but he can be a 20 point scorer that can get us buckets when we need them.

I also think Bradley is struggling right now on offense and is going to be playing way better when he FINALLY gets a full offseason to train and work on his shot.  He was shooting ~50% from 3 last year as a starter and has struggled heavily this season.  He's shown the ability to also blow by anyone in the NBA to get to the rim but hasn't this season, he's been tentative.  Beyond his shoulders I'm convinced he's hiding another injury because his defense has also suffered.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Been saying this all along. Best-case-scenario, it's already filled out when Melo becomes a starter-worthy 5.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Assuming Rondo and Sullinger fully recover to former shape / ability (which is not guaranteed) what we have is one second tier star, a somewhat overpaid athletic but overall quite average starter, and two role players who project as above average starters on a good team.

None of them is a "franchise" guy.

What we do have is three solid young assets, and a guy who is probably an okay value if he's starting and playing 35+ minutes a night exclusively at SF.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Den: Lawson, McGee, faried,galinari
Chi: Rose, noah, deng, gibson
Clippers: CP3, Griffin, Jordan

Just off the top of my head

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Exactly!  Rondo is a good 2nd/3rd guy, but the rest are really good role players -- 4th best players on a very good team kind of guys.  With a real franchise guy in the mix, those 4 could be very good complements.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Exactly!  Rondo is a good 2nd/3rd guy, but the rest are really good role players -- 4th best players on a very good team kind of guys.  With a real franchise guy in the mix, those 4 could be very good compliments.
Precisely my point. If you look at Rondo-Green-Sullinger-Bradley as guys 2 to 5 (in this order), then you're better than what most of the teams in the league have.

The problem is that finding a real franchise guy isn't easy -- and it's even more complicated if you want this guy to be a center.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

Exactly!  Rondo is a good 2nd/3rd guy, but the rest are really good role players -- 4th best players on a very good team kind of guys.  With a real franchise guy in the mix, those 4 could be very good compliments.
Precisely my point. If you look at Rondo-Green-Sullinger-Bradley as guys 2 to 5 (in this order), then you're better than what most of the teams in the league have.

The problem is that finding a real franchise guy isn't easy -- and it's even more complicated if you want this guy to be a center.

Also keep in mind that to get a top level guy (or another top level guy if you consider Rondo a franchise player), you'll likely have to trade from this group of players.

I look at the other three names on that list and see role players.  Good ones, but role players.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 04:18:48 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

I disagree.  I think between Rondo and Green they can carry that load.  You don't need to have a Durant to win a championship.  Playoff Rondo would have been the best team on that Pistons squad and I am extremely high on Greens upside.  He won't ever be Pierce but he can be a 20 point scorer that can get us buckets when we need them.

I also think Bradley is struggling right now on offense and is going to be playing way better when he FINALLY gets a full offseason to train and work on his shot.  He was shooting ~50% from 3 last year as a starter and has struggled heavily this season.  He's shown the ability to also blow by anyone in the NBA to get to the rim but hasn't this season, he's been tentative.  Beyond his shoulders I'm convinced he's hiding another injury because his defense has also suffered.

That Pistons team is the exception, not the rule.

Plus, Rondo is as good as any starter on that Pistons team you are referring to.  No one else is.  I'd take Billups, Hamilton, Rasheed, Ben, and Tayshaun over Green, Bradley, and Sullinger any day of the week.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I appreciate the optimism, but I can't agree with the first sentence.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

doctors said long term, sullinger should be fine and he should be able to gain some athleticism now. Sullinger may be able to literally jump higher now.