Author Topic: Could Pierce AND Garnett go to Clippers?  (Read 3336 times)

Could Pierce AND Garnett go to Clippers?
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »

Offline BoulderMike

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
My prediction is that both Pierce and Garnett go to the Clippers on Feb 21 for four reasons:
1. Chance to beat Heart
2. Proximity to off season homes
3. Relationships with Clipper players (e.g. Chauncey)
4. Celtics have to start the rebuilding and this is a win-win

In return, Celtics could get some combination of D. Jordan, C Butler, E Bledsoe, L Odom, and 1st round pick (NOTE: not all of these; some subset).  Celts would instantly cut Odom, but others would join Celts or end up in Atlanta (as part of package to get Josh Smith).

Just my prediction ... check back on February 22.

Re: Could Pierce AND Garnett go to Clippers?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Sorry, Garnett already said he "bleeds green and dies green". And also denied going to no Clippers or Nuggets team.  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
help me understand why Ainge trades his dollar for a couple dimes & a few nickels? 

the cap space we'd get for PP and KG retiring is more valueable than a Jordan/Smith/Green front court & a couple non-lotto picks.

think of this way -- Smith is in his prime, but still not as good as an old PP and an even older KG...

Celts are playing great ball right now.  Enjoy the ride

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'm gonna say no just on the difficulty to make a trade of that magnitude.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
can't wait til the trade deadline goes away =\

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:19 PM »

Offline jayhovaone

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Sorry, Garnett already said he "bleeds green and dies green". And also denied going to no Clippers or Nuggets team.  ;D

Garnett never said he would not go to the clippers he said that is the only place he would go in a trade but Pierce would have to be traded first for him to leave boston.  But he would rather end his career as a boston Celtic.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
help me understand why Ainge trades his dollar for a couple dimes & a few nickels? 

the cap space we'd get for PP and KG retiring is more valueable than a Jordan/Smith/Green front court & a couple non-lotto picks.

think of this way -- Smith is in his prime, but still not as good as an old PP and an even older KG...

Celts are playing great ball right now.  Enjoy the ride

While I don't like the trade, and can think of many better Pierce and Garnett combo trades, Smith is definitively better than Pierce right now.  I don't think Smith is a max player, and I have concerns about his attitude, but the same could have been said about The Captain 8-10 years ago.  Just because Smith may be overrated does not mean he isn't a very very good basketball player.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
To make the dollars work the only piece you could not include would be Bledsoe and he is the piece you would most want to include.

I don't think you can trade them to the same place, but you could trade them both.

For example, I think both of these trades may be available and both seem like they would serve a rebuilding purpose

SAS - Pierce
BOS - Jackson (expiring), Leonard, Blair (expiring)

LAC - Garnett, Bass
BOS - Bledsoe, Odom (expiring), Butler, 2013 1st

Boston should then try to find a team for Terry, maybe to Indiana for Augustin who is expiring.

Boston post trades would be in rebuilding and would add Leonard, Blair, and Bledsoe along with the extra first for more young talent to pair with Rondo, Green, Bradley, Lee, Sullinger, and Melo.  Butler has 1 year after this one and would be a valuable expiring contract.  Augustin, Odom, and Jackson are expiring and could either be moved this year or come off the books to free up cap space.

Boston next year would thus be essentially

Guards - Rondo, Bledsoe, Lee, Bradley
Wings - Butler, Green, Leonard
Bigs - Sullinger, Blair, Melo 
Plus the 2 firsts and room for a big time free agent (maybe Josh Smith).

Clear tank mode but not a bad start to rebuilding by getting some real talent.

EDIT:  Boston would obviously need to add a real center to the roster, there is cap space to do it, perhaps Dwight might like to come here to play with Rondo and I'd rather have Dwight than Smith.  Ideally, Smith and Dwight could both come here, one on a sign and trade (so we send Butler, Sullinger, and a 1st to Atlanta for Smith and then Dwight just signs here).  That would be an optimal off season following the proposed trades I have above.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
To make the dollars work the only piece you could not include would be Bledsoe and he is the piece you would most want to include.

I don't think you can trade them to the same place, but you could trade them both.

For example, I think both of these trades may be available and both seem like they would serve a rebuilding purpose

SAS - Pierce
BOS - Jackson (expiring), Leonard, Blair (expiring)

LAC - Garnett, Bass
BOS - Bledsoe, Odom (expiring), Butler, 2013 1st

Boston should then try to find a team for Terry, maybe to Indiana for Augustin who is expiring.

Boston post trades would be in rebuilding and would add Leonard, Blair, and Bledsoe along with the extra first for more young talent to pair with Rondo, Green, Bradley, Lee, Sullinger, and Melo.  Butler has 1 year after this one and would be a valuable expiring contract.  Augustin, Odom, and Jackson are expiring and could either be moved this year or come off the books to free up cap space.

Boston next year would thus be essentially

Guards - Rondo, Lee, Bradley
Wings - Butler, Green, Leonard
Bigs - Sullinger, Blair, Melo 
Plus the 2 firsts and room for a big time free agent (maybe Josh Smith).

Clear tank mode but not a bad start to rebuilding by getting some real talent.

Rather than sending Bass to LA, I would package him and Terry to Milwaukee for either Udrih or Dalembert (both expiring, although Dalembert would require Pryzbilla's expiring as well) and draft compensation.  That way we get to keep Butler's contract off the books for next year.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I've posted this in "Trade Ideas" before a couple of times this year, ONLY because it's my feeling that if either guy is traded, this scenario -- i.e. both to the Clips for Bledsoe, Jordan and all that change -- is by far the most likely.

I think the Clips would be all over it, but don't see Wyc and Danny going there...

anyway, see the thread below:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62221.0
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:44:49 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think if KG is definitely retiring and the Clippers offer D'Andre and Bledsoe you have to at least consider it.

If this happens I see the Celtics trying to get a third team to take Bledsoe. Maybe the Jazz for Kanter?

If they decide to trade KG I think it is a certainty that Pierce will be moved (KG won't give up his no trade clause while Pierce is still on the team). If they deal Pierce I wouldn't be shocked if it was part of a three way where we got Smith and Atlanta got prospects from a team like the Spurs, the Warriors or Grizz.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I thought about both of them going to the Clips when the first rumors of KG to LA came up but when I saw what was on their roster, I didn't see anything appealing other than Griffin (already have Rondo so adding CP3 didn't make sense).  Clips would never do that deal.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
My prediction is that both Pierce and Garnett go to the Clippers on Feb 21 for four reasons:

3. Relationships with Clipper players (e.g. Chauncey)

How about Chauncey, to come to Cs, instead of going to our bigs to LAC???

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Been there suggested that...

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Clips don't have enough to give us that would make it worth giving up both Pierce and Garnett.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain