Author Topic: Hall of Fame Finalists  (Read 1279 times)

Hall of Fame Finalists
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:05:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
http://www.nba.com/2013/news/02/15/hall-of-fame-finalists/index.html

I definitely think the Glove deserves to get in on his first try.  The Payton, Hawkins, Schremp, Kemp Sonics were one of my favorite non-Celtic teams ever.

Tommy's on the list, as well.  I thought he was already a Hall of Famer.  If Tommy doesn't make it as a player and coach, he'll make it some day as a broadcaster.   

Edit:  Tommy is in as a player.  He's on the current ballot as a coach.  I didn't know that you could get in multiple times under different categories.  Heinsohn could get inducted into the Hall of Fame thrice, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:53:40 PM by Donoghus »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Hall of Fame inductees
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Read the quote about Tommy. "He was also enshrined into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1986 as a player." He's trying to make it in as a coach now.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Tommy should be in as everything! Tommy is the man

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Who should be in?

Not going to speak about the women, since I don’t follow them, but for the men:

North American Committee Finalists:

MAURICE CHEEKS [Player] – Nope.  A very good player, but not a great player.  Fifth all time in steals isn’t enough for me.  At best he was the 3rd best player on only 1 championship team (possibly fourth behind Andrew Toney).

TIM HARDAWAY [Player] – Nope. The best thing on his résumé is one All NBA 1st team appearance.  Was he ever really consistently even considered a top 3 player at his position during his career?  Just not good enough for me.

SPENCER HAYWOOD [Player] – While not the greatest pro career, when you win the case Haywood v. National Basketball Association, that forever changed the NBA’s landscape, that’s enough for me.  ABA MVP, and also best player on a gold medal team in ’68 when the top stars (like Kareem) boycotted and international competition was more important, IMO.

TOM HEINSOHN [Coach] – I love Tommy, but I don’t know if 9 years as coach is enough for me, but those 2 rings as coach certainly helps.

BERNARD KING [Player] – Not a full enough career.  His one great season he only played 55 games and his team was 19-36 in those games.  Almost 20k points, but I just don’t think he’s great enough for the Hall (had he not missed so many games, I’d put him in).

GUY LEWIS [Coach] – 5 Final Fours is usually enough for me, but he only really did it with 2 teams.  Don’t know enough about him really, but for a college coach, 5 Final Fours over 30 years is usually enough.

GARY PAYTON [Player] – A top 2 point guard for most of his career (despite only 2 All-NBA first team selections.  The 9-time NBA All-Defensive First Team selections is what seals it for me though.

RICK PITINO [Coach] -- Three different schools to NCAA Final Four and he’s made it there 6 times.  One of the best college coaches of his generation.

MITCH RICHMOND [Player] – Nope. Very good, but not great.  At least give me an All-NBA first team or All-Defensive first team award.  A very good player for a long time, just not great player.

JERRY TARKANIAN [Coach] – One of my favorite coaches.  Constantly screwed by the NCAA.  990 wins, 81% win %.  4 time coach of the year.  4 Final Fours, A national championship. He should be in over anybody else on this list IMO.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:53:49 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'll continue to bang the drum on Bernard King. 

Hope he gets in.  An injury-plagued career, yes.  But one helluva basketball player. He belongs, IMO.

Payton's the only no-brainer on that list.  The homer in me wants Heinsohn too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:12:55 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
I'll continue to bang the drum on Bernard King. 

Hope he gets in.  An injury-plagued career, yes.  But one helluva basketball player. He belongs, IMO.

Payton's the only no-brainer on that list.  The homer in me wants Heinsohn too.

This kind of hearkens me back to the discussion on this forum about Jason Terry earlier this week.  A lot of these guys are borderline for whether they belong and each of them still has a more impressive case than Terry.

I concur that the Glove is the only lock to make it.  Pitino, who I dislike, is probably in also.

I'd also like to see Bernard King get in.  I don't hold his injuries against him as much as others might and his career numbers are impressive in spite of them.  His 1984 season was otherwordly.  For perspective, here is the 1984 MVP voting:

1. Larry Bird
2. Bernard King
3. Magic Johnson
4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
5. Isiah Thomas
6. Julius Erving

In my opinion, if you can crack that lineup even once in your career, you belong in the Hall of Fame. He was one spot away from league MVP in a season with Larry, Magic, Isiah, Kareem, and Dr. J all performing at a high level.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:26:02 PM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Agree with you on every single one.  Great write-up.

Tarkanian might not get in because of some shady ethics.  I know voters can be extreme hypocrites, but still...

Oddly enough, Pitino probably will get in even though he's the shadiest car salesman this side of Calipari.

Payton is the only North American lock!

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Vlade Divac deserves to get in.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG