Author Topic: Josh Smith an elite defender?  (Read 4905 times)

Re: Josh Smith an elite defender?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 11:28:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Looking at some of the responses, I guess the question is...what IS an elite defender? 

I really think there are only 2 or 3 true, lockdown defenders in the NBA, if that.  So, if that is the criteria, then its tough to manage.

Personally I would classify an elite defender as a top 10 defender in the league overall, and someone who can actually influence the outcome of the game with their defense. 

Guys I would put in this category are:

Lebron
Tony Allen
Avery Bradley
Tyson Chandler
Kevin Garnett
Luol Deng
Josh Smith

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Looking at some of the responses, I guess the question is...what IS an elite defender? 

I really think there are only 2 or 3 true, lockdown defenders in the NBA, if that.  So, if that is the criteria, then its tough to manage.

Personally I would classify an elite defender as a top 10 defender in the league overall, and someone who can actually influence the outcome of the game with their defense. 

Lebron
Tony Allen
Avery Bradley
Tyson Chandler
Kevin Garnett
Luol Deng
Josh Smith

Right.

Sefolosha and Mbah a Moute are also very good defenders. I'd say Ibaka belongs in the list as well. And if the Bobcats had any idea how to use the guy, Biyombo could be on the list easily.

Both Bryant and Artest have fallen off, at this point.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
and I would probably add Andre Igoudala

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The narrow criteria that results in just a handful of names would be players who, given sufficient playing time and a national spotlight, should be considered for defensive player of the year, assuming no bias towards big men.

A wider criteria might be players who should legitimately be considered if the All-Star teams were selected solely on defensive ability, without regard for offensive ability.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Lebron
Tony Allen
Avery Bradley
Tyson Chandler
Kevin Garnett
Luol Deng
Josh Smith

Which further illustrates my point, with Smith we would have 3 of the top 10 defenders in the league.

For that reason alone, Danny should be trying to get him.

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Lebron
Tony Allen
Avery Bradley
Tyson Chandler
Kevin Garnett
Luol Deng
Josh Smith

I agree with all of what you said...but I personally have never watched the hawks and thought "oh gee they won that game because of josh smiths defense" I have thought that about the rest of your list though

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 02:09:24 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
I know he's having a down year, but I think it is illogical not to have Dwight Howard listed somewhere.

For what it's worth, Josh Smith only has one Defensive team appearance (on the second team).  I'd put him a notch below all of the people listed above and several notches below Dwight.

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
For what it's worth, Josh Smith only has one Defensive team appearance (on the second team).

The same can be said for Luol Deng.  Is it reasonable to put Smith on roughly the same level as Deng?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 02:50:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
very Good defender, with the tools to become an elite defender.
Yeah, I would say the same. I have Josh Smith as probably the third best defensive PF in the league behind Serge Ibaka and Taj Gibson.

Varejao would be above all three of them if he was still playing PF.

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I know he's having a down year, but I think it is illogical not to have Dwight Howard listed somewhere.

Yeah that omission is silly. DH12 is definitely an elite defender in the NBA. 5 months of play on a miserable defensive team with no coach isn't going to change my mind about that just yet.

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Yeah that omission is silly. DH12 is definitely an elite defender in the NBA. 5 months of play on a miserable defensive team with no coach isn't going to change my mind about that just yet.

How could you even think of omitting DH12? O_o
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

How could you even think of omitting DH12? O_o

Tim Duncan is another player worth mention.  He leads the league in D Rating and is having a pretty impressive resurgent year on both offense and defense.

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Josh Smith has the tools but he doesn't always play that way.

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I mean we have to see the difference:

great defender Vs great rebounder

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Wow! I must be really missing something here. How can a knucklehead like Smith who may have outstanding athleticism contribute to a team defense concept that has taken many players more than a half season to master. Just because Smith can block shots does not make him a great team defender.

Smith and Rondo both are great athletes that can play good defense if they want to; but they often just don't. To call Smith an elite defender when he has shown such a clear lack of discipline this season is a stretch. Kind of like saying Rondo is an elite defender.