Author Topic: We don't want Howard. We don't need Howard  (Read 4162 times)

Re: We don't want Howard. We don't need Howard
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Has a team ever successfully traded an overrated poor shooting point guard with a torn ACL... for the best big man in the game? 

That would be the most ridiculous heist of all time.  In the NBA, big men win championships... not point guards.  Essentially every champion ever has had at least one elite big man on their roster. 

NOt going to happen.  It's been said before, but threads like this are the equivalent of the nerdy kid in chess club saying he wouldn't hook up with the head cheerleader, because she's "not hot enough".
Best big man in the game?   ??? The Lakers' fans on the Silver Screen and Roll blog seem to be  pretty disenchanted...
But we already know a healthy Dwight Howard can carry a team to the FInals by himself... he's already done it.

Guys named Rashard, Jameer, and Hedo beg to differ.  As do very good role players named Mickael, Courtney, Rafer and Marcin.

I see no star players in that list. Howard carried that Magic team for years. That Arenas trade killed them.

Sorry... I forgot about the hall-of-fame "Big 3" that carried Dwight to the finals... Rashard, Jameer and Hedo. 

Lol

I wasn't trying to imply that any of them were hall of famers, but they were a very good supporting cast at the time. 

Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis were both all stars during the Magic's NBA finals year, and Hedo Turkoglu had been awarded the League's Most Improved Player award the year before.  Those guys weren't scrubs. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:10:02 PM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't want Rondo. We don't need Rondo.

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This thread was a much better read than I thought it would be lol. Let us be serious though, every team wants DH12. I HATE Lebron, but I'd take him in green.

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Saying we shouldn't trade Rondo for Howard is pretty similar to saying we shouldn't have moved Big Al for KG, in my opinion.

Howard is just a vastly more valuable player, especially for this season.
Yeah pretty much... and Dwight is 27.  KG was already 32 years old when we moved Big Al for him.  And fwiw, Big Al's ceiling seemed a lot higher than Rondo's right now.  Big Al looked like he'd go on to be an all-star big man (in a league where you need big men to win titles) and instead he turned into a consistent 18 and 10 guy.    Big Al was 22 years old at the time... the idea of trading a 22 year old with a HUGE future for a 32 year Top-5 player at the tail end of his career is, imo, drastically different than trading a 27 year old flawed point guard with a TORN ACL for a 27 year old Top-5 player... the best big man in the game... 5 time All-NBA 1st team... 3 time defensive player of the year.  I mean seriously.

You absolutely would have to trade a healthy Rondo for Dwight.  It's a no brainer.   You could have talked me out of trading Big Al for KG, though.

Dwight Howard has had a stellar career so far, but his back issues and his attitude issues are both major red flags.  Kevin Garnett didn't have those issues when we traded big Al et. al. for him back in 2007.

Also, Jefferson wasn't already a top 15 player in the league back then.  He was rather someone who had the potential to become one.  There's a big difference. 

I don't think it's an apt comparison at all.  That trade worked out in our favor.  To use that as evidence that a Rondo for Howard trade would work out as well doesn't really hold any logical water.

Big Al for KG was a trade where we substantially underpaid, and yet many fans didn't want to do the deal.

An injured Rondo for D12 would be a similar underpay, and yet there's a vocal contingent indicating their displeasure.

That's the comparison.  When you get a chance to obtain a superstar, and you're paying less than perceived market value, I think you pull the trigger.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Saying we shouldn't trade Rondo for Howard is pretty similar to saying we shouldn't have moved Big Al for KG, in my opinion.

Howard is just a vastly more valuable player, especially for this season.
Yeah pretty much... and Dwight is 27.  KG was already 32 years old when we moved Big Al for him.  And fwiw, Big Al's ceiling seemed a lot higher than Rondo's right now.  Big Al looked like he'd go on to be an all-star big man (in a league where you need big men to win titles) and instead he turned into a consistent 18 and 10 guy.    Big Al was 22 years old at the time... the idea of trading a 22 year old with a HUGE future for a 32 year Top-5 player at the tail end of his career is, imo, drastically different than trading a 27 year old flawed point guard with a TORN ACL for a 27 year old Top-5 player... the best big man in the game... 5 time All-NBA 1st team... 3 time defensive player of the year.  I mean seriously.

You absolutely would have to trade a healthy Rondo for Dwight.  It's a no brainer.   You could have talked me out of trading Big Al for KG, though.

Dwight Howard has had a stellar career so far, but his back issues and his attitude issues are both major red flags.  Kevin Garnett didn't have those issues when we traded big Al et. al. for him back in 2007.

Also, Jefferson wasn't already a top 15 player in the league back then.  He was rather someone who had the potential to become one.  There's a big difference. 

I don't think it's an apt comparison at all.  That trade worked out in our favor.  To use that as evidence that a Rondo for Howard trade would work out as well doesn't really hold any logical water.

Big Al for KG was a trade where we substantially underpaid, and yet many fans didn't want to do the deal.

An injured Rondo for D12 would be a similar underpay, and yet there's a vocal contingent indicating their displeasure.

That's the comparison.  When you get a chance to obtain a superstar, and you're paying less than perceived market value, I think you pull the trigger.

A Rondo for Howard trade would be a trade of an injured superstar for another injured superstar.  To be honest, I have no idea which player has a better chance of returning to a high level of play post-injury or of recovering fully. 

I simply don't agree on the underpay part.  Dwight Howard has been one of the most dominant players in the league, but there's a reasonable chance that those days are behind him. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
we may not WANT Howard,    but we do need Howard...........

need his body and not his mind

lets get Howard an give him a  lobotomy.