Author Topic: Josh Smith an elite defender?  (Read 4898 times)

Josh Smith an elite defender?
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
I was just wondering, do you think Josh Smith is an elite defender? I really do, he is long, athletic, blocks, good man to man defense, rebounds, pretty fast aswell.
I actually think he is one of the few players that is close to guarding Lebron James pretty well. 6'9 / 225 / very strong guy.

I remember last year in the playoffs Smith made life very tough on our offense, like Igoudala did as well.

I see a lot of posts that people would not like to part with Lee because of his defense. Believe me I'm a huge fan of Lee but Josh Smith is such a great defender and a real compliment to KG on defense.

Lee + Bass + 1st round for Smith we obviously do. But Lee + Sullinger + 1st round I would also think about.

Re: Josh Smith an elite defender?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He is absolutely an elite defender.  He is probably one of the top 5-10 defenders in the game.  That's where his value is.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:54 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I was just wondering, do you think Josh Smith is an elite defender? I really do, he is long, athletic, blocks, good man to man defense, rebounds, pretty fast aswell.
I actually think he is one of the few players that is close to guarding Lebron James pretty well. 6'9 / 225 / very strong guy.

I remember last year in the playoffs Smith made life very tough on our offense, like Igoudala did as well.

I see a lot of posts that people would not like to part with Lee because of his defense. Believe me I'm a huge fan of Lee but Josh Smith is such a great defender and a real compliment to KG on defense.

Lee + Bass + 1st round for Smith we obviously do. But Lee + Sullinger + 1st round I would also think about.

Lee, sullinger and a first doesn't match the money up I don't think. It would have to be bass + lee.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Definitely. Without question. His length and athleticism allow him to be.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Certainly one of the best defenders in the game. Too bad he confuses himself with Scotty Pippen on the offensive end.

But I think Cs fans obsession with Smith is unhealthy. I don't believe he should be a big target for the Cs to begin with, but regardless there is absolutely no way Ferry is going to take a package of two of Green, Terry, Lee and Bass for him. Which means the Cs are not trading for him before the deadline.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:49:51 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yes he's an elite defender, though he's also prone to bad mental lapses of concentration. That lack of discpline prevents him from being a DPoY candidate.

His ability to defend the paint and the wing positions is very valuable.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Just about every defensive metric backs up the claim that he is a top 10 defender every year, if not all-nba.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:59:10 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Elite defender? Yes
Elite offensive player? No..... no not at all.
Elite knucklehead? Yes
Elite the best he can do is first or second round in playoffs then out? yes.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Lee, sullinger and a first doesn't match the money up I don't think. It would have to be bass + lee.
true, but I think you will need all 3 plus a first or two and maybe Melo.  I'd still do it, as Smith could actually make a difference in the playoffs this year while none of those other guys would.

The money works on this deal and I think you have to do it.

Smith, Stevenson

for

Bass, Lee, Sullinger, Melo, 2013 1st

That also seems to be at least solid value back for Atlanta and would certainly be a better deal than the one that Brooklyn has offered.

If Atlanta doesn't want Lee he could probably be moved to Memphis who has shown an interest in him and has a cap exception (or other pieces like Tony Allen that they might be able to move for him).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 10:10:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think the C's have enough value to make a mid-season trade for him. (Brooklyn certainly doesn't).

We could very well be a sign and trade destination however, if Smith would rather come here than one of the teams with cap room.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
I don't think the C's have enough value to make a mid-season trade for him. (Brooklyn certainly doesn't).

We could very well be a sign and trade destination however, if Smith would rather come here than one of the teams with cap room.

I also don't think we got the value to trade for him, really if we don't want to give up Green. But we may have to best package although I'm not sure what Dallas has to offer for him. I guess it has to include Mayo otherwise the package won't be better. Maybe Atlanta takes 1/2 of our talents instead of nothing.

Although my 'bold' prediction is still that KG will retire after the season and that we will get Smith as a good replacement, if he is willing to accept less than a max contract because that's not his value. Although I would love to see KG/Smith play together for 1 seasons or so.

Do you really think Josh Smith is that big of a Knucklehead?? I mean he isn't in the news that often in bad way. I remember some but not THAT bad, you could state the argument that Rondo is even worse. Then I'm confident that we and the Celtics can fix this knucklehead with Rivers, Ainge and maybe Garnett around our team. Smith is just a lil tired of ATL I think. He needs a new challenge.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Smith is absolutely an elite defender.

We would easily be the best defensive team in the league with KG, Smith and Bradley.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Smith is absolutely an elite defender.

We would easily be the best defensive team in the league with KG, Smith and Bradley.

Oh man, i wish.....

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Nope

Elite shot blocker and help defender at the rim...if that's enough fine but I've never seen him lock a guy down

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
very Good defender, with the tools to become an elite defender.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19