Author Topic: Is Green starting to earn his paycheck?  (Read 11116 times)

Re: Is Green starting to earn his paycheck?
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 06:13:47 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
His numbers for the year are now up to exactly his career averages (those are in parens), in per-36 terms:

PPG 15.0 (14.9)
RPG 4.8 (5.8 )
APG 1.4 (1.7)
SPG 0.9 (1.0)
BPG 1.0 (0.7)
FG% .443 (.445)
3p% .340 (.337)
PER 12.7 (12.8 )

Pretty much right on the money.

Even if you look at his recent performance it's not much better than his typical one.

I'm not arguing that he looks much more effective out there...but you don't really see it in these numbers, except that he's gotten back to where he really should have been all along.

I'd like to see how his +/- numbers have evolved over the year.

All this tells me is that numbers aren't everything.

His play is much improved.  And his defense (half the game) is way better.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 06:16:03 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
His numbers for the year are now up to exactly his career averages

OMG. Can we stop bringing up his career averages? Jesus Christ. His career averages and his potential deserve 9 mil

No they don't.

You can't play in this league without overpaid players.

Or the players aren't overpaid.

It reminds me of how every big man who makes 10 mill or more in the league and isn't a star everyone says is overpaid... so if they are all overpaid, isn't that just the market now?

The market is the market.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 07:07:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

OMG. Can we stop bringing up his career averages? Jesus Christ. His career averages and his potential deserve 9 mil

No they don't.
Sure. He should just play for the veteran minimum, because hey, his AVERAGES suck.

So I guess there is no salary that is between $9 million and the veteran minimum.  I had no idea.  Post of the year, kozlodev.  Your sarcasm here doesn't even make sense.  Do you even know what the veteran minimum is?  Do you know that we have multiple players that make less than $9 million and more than the veteran minimum?

I'd love to be an agent negotating with you.  As long as my player is better than the league minimum, you'd give me $9 million?  I didn't know Ernie Grunfeld (or Billy King?)posted on CelticsBlog.
I'd love to play this game with you. So what do you think is the going rate of starting forwards similar to Green in skill level? Some examples won't hurt.

I'll even give you a joker: here are some active players whose careers resemble Jeff Green's: Ersan Ilyasova, Danilo Gallinari, Taj Gibson. Why don't you check what they're signed for, and we can talk.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
not to mention Batum, AK47 and Gerald Wallace are all getting paid similar #'s money wise to green.

its just the going rate for a starting calibar SF...it just so happens that on our team he is playing behind a HOF'er

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315

No they don't.
Sure. He should just play for the veteran minimum, because hey, his AVERAGES suck.

So I guess there is no salary that is between $9 million and the veteran minimum.  I had no idea.  Post of the year, kozlodev.  Your sarcasm here doesn't even make sense.  Do you even know what the veteran minimum is?  Do you know that we have multiple players that make less than $9 million and more than the veteran minimum?

I'd love to be an agent negotating with you.  As long as my player is better than the league minimum, you'd give me $9 million?  I didn't know Ernie Grunfeld (or Billy King?)posted on CelticsBlog.
I'd love to play this game with you. So what do you think is the going rate of starting forwards similar to Green in skill level? Some examples won't hurt.

I'll even give you a joker: here are some active players whose careers resemble Jeff Green's: Ersan Ilyasova, Danilo Gallinari, Taj Gibson. Why don't you check what they're signed for, and we can talk.

Ilasova earned his 8 million dollar per year contract after one break out year during a contract season. He has clearly underperformed after signing that contract.

Gibson has done nothing except be a hustle player to deserve an 8-9 million dollar per year deal.

Only Gallinari has some kind of career history of production to compare to Green's, but Gallo is viewed as a 1st or 2nd option, where as Green has virtually never been higher than 3rd.

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 09:14:33 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
if i was gettin paid what he is and doin the work he doin
i'd be puttin together a new resume to find a new job

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

No they don't.

10 and 3. "skill level" wont change that, only better play.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

No they don't.

Given playing time, he could easily, I repeat easily score 20ppg
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

No they don't.

Hard to average 20 when you can't accomplish it in a single game, which he hasn't yet this year.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

No they don't.

Hard to average 20 when you can't accomplish it in a single game, which he hasn't yet this year.

More like he's been prevented from doing it.

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

No they don't.

You're a funny person. You also have no idea what players are worth in the NBA.

Of course, you also completely ignored the fact that players similar to Green (Basketball Reference definition, not mine) have comparable or richer contracts.

But of course, a dreamland in which Jeff Green is signed to a Chris Duhon type of contact probably exists. Good luck with that.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 10:37:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

No they don't.

You're a funny person. You also have no idea what players are worth in the NBA.

Of course, you also completely ignored the fact that players similar to Green (Basketball Reference definition, not mine) have comparable or richer contracts.

But of course, a dreamland in which Jeff Green is signed to a Chris Duhon type of contact probably exists. Good luck with that.

You're pretty far out there on this one, boss.

I'd recommend taking a look at minutes, ppg, fg%, rpg, apg, and any other particulars of mike dunleavy, martell webster, matt barnes, corey brewer and jeff green -- all very similar, though Green is bringing up the rear in the bunch. Then look at the length and size of their contracts.

Antagonism won't make you correct.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 10:49:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I'd recommend taking a look at minutes, ppg, fg%, rpg, apg, and any other particulars of mike dunleavy, martell webster, matt barnes, corey brewer and jeff green -- all very similar, though Green is bringing up the rear in the bunch. Then look at the length and size of their contracts.

Mike Dunleavy was signed to a Jeff Green type of contract when he was Jeff Green's age (coincidentally, he also performed more or less similarly to what you may expect from Jeff Green when he's no longer our second best player's backup).

You're really not very good at this game  ;D

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dunlemi02.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:55:12 PM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2013, 11:56:21 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

No they don't.

Jeff green is averaging 24 minutes a game...

Is your idea of him proving his worth at 9mill/per that he scores a point per minute off the bench?

Not many guys score a point per minute, and the ones that come close are payed a whole bunch more than 9 million.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2013, 12:13:25 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Mike Dunleavy was signed to a Jeff Green type of contract when he was Jeff Green's age (coincidentally, he also performed more or less similarly to what you may expect from Jeff Green when he's no longer our second best player's backup).

You're really not very good at this game  ;D

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dunlemi02.html

One team's mistakes don't justify those of others. Referring to how much Duvleavy was overpaid then, or how much Ilyasova is now, won't mean there aren't dozens of examples of far more productive players making less, nor will it mean you have a stong argument for Jeff Green's value. And it certainly won't remove the egg from your face in this discussion.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)