Author Topic: Is Green starting to earn his paycheck?  (Read 11112 times)

Is Green starting to earn his paycheck?
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:13:24 AM »

Offline sinbad

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 56
Count me as one who thought that Green got way too much money in his deal. What was once an untradeable contract, now seems to have value. Shockingly, I thought he defended LeBron (and Carmelo) about as well as anyone has this season. At 6-9, he's taller than LeBron and actually bothers his jump shot. He's an asset against Miami when they go small. He's a very good one on one defender but still struggles with rotations though. Like every player who comes through Boston, Green seems to be getting better and better on defense. Now if he can work on his jumpshot, I think he may actually become a bargain. He's also a likeable player that you can't help but root for considering what he's been through.

Re: Is Green starting to earn his paycheck?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:01:35 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
One thing, that I have noticed, is that Green seems to be the best player we have for anchoring the defense, when KG sits. I think that he has picked up a lot from Garnett. Not saying that he is DPOY, but compared to Wilcox, Bass, Collins (and Sullinger), he just seem to "get it" on another level.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:03:15 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Not yet. But he's slowly (for the season) and quickly (for the past 9 games) getting there.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
One thing, that I have noticed, is that Green seems to be the best player we have for anchoring the defense, when KG sits. I think that he has picked up a lot from Garnett. Not saying that he is DPOY, but compared to Wilcox, Bass, Collins (and Sullinger), he just seem to "get it" on another level.
I do see him down low signaling guys to where they should be. He will challenge you at the rim as well as seen with a lot of nice blocks. Love the way he's playing right now looks like he's building up a lot of confidence.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Yes.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:31:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I too think he is playing better and I too like his shot blocking which has been surprising.   He still lacks some agression on offense.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:09 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rINhVAqw9I

Showing flashes though. There's him basically overwhelming Luol Deng (99% sure?) with his size and strength.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:03:48 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Well put.

You can see what he has picked up from KG in how hard he plays on pick and rolls and how he challenges shots.  His defense has become pretty great now from okay before.  This is a huge addition to his game.

On offense, he is practically our only player who consistently has been attacking the rim.

I love his play over this stretch.  Just making smart plays.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:06:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I've always been happy with the Green deal and thought, and still think, that it is a fair deal. He is currently playing like we expected him to play when we signed him to the deal. I am very surprised at how well he hits the corner three most of the time and his defense has to be the most shocking thing for me. He has been able to play great one on one D while making his presence know with the shot blocking.

His post up game could still use some work and he only goes right. But since he is so strong and athletic he can afford to go right and make it work.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
New article by Jackie about Jeff

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8949730/jeff-green-flourishing-boston-celtics-harness-energy

We've heard it again and again, but reading it, just crazy what he has come back from.  I like the quotes in here from him, about how he likes playing with Pierce vs just replacing him via a sub.  Really good stuff.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think the wide open running game allows him to utilize his athletic skills better than the half court game.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:05:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Jeff Green's hustle shot blocks are awesome, but he's not anchoring our defense in any way even when he is playing PF nominally.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
what's crazy is I think he'll be even better next year.
i'd be happy wit him learning the post more (how to go left) and finishing better at the rim.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:09:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
New article by Jackie about Jeff

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8949730/jeff-green-flourishing-boston-celtics-harness-energy

We've heard it again and again, but reading it, just crazy what he has come back from.  I like the quotes in here from him, about how he likes playing with Pierce vs just replacing him via a sub.  Really good stuff.
Also, note the part where he's been told it will be 2 years before he fully recovers from the surgery.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 09:21:54 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He's getting there.

He's starting to look like the Jeff Green we saw in OKC. 9 gamed is still a small sample but if he continues this performance, he's closing in on being a 9 mil player.

I wanna find out what Vinnie thinks about this...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace