Author Topic: Ray Allen was unhappy about Doc  (Read 9975 times)

Re: Ray Allen was unhappy about Doc
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Do any of us really think that Pops or Jerry Sloan or Phil Jackson would have allowed Rondo to dribble for 20 seconds of a 24 second shot clock just to pass to one of the best and most versatile SF of all time with 2 seconds left on the clock. Seriously anyone here think that would have happened with a Good coach.

Rondo dribbling for 20 seconds of the 24 second shot clock was happening with much less frequency than you and a number of other posters seem to think it did. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
There is a difference between being 4th option and 4th favorite.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
There is a difference between being 4th option and 4th favorite.

Was he even the fourth best player?

He was benched for Bradley. That's why he left.  Diva Ego.

It was OK to backup Wade, but a nobody like Bradley? That was too demeaning for him.

He can blame the lack of touches, he can blame Doc's system (which does suck), he can blame the uncertainty of being traded every year.

Bottom line, regarding all those issues, but especially Bradley starting in front of him, it was his ego. "Vanity, my favorite sin.", said the Devil incarnate in a great movie. This especially applies to Judas.

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Memo to Ray: stop trying to justify your departure to save face and your damaged legacy. You're only making yourself look more petty, and thus making it worse.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 588

He should have said 5th (Avery).

I'd love it if Doc were to mention this.

Let's see I'm 4th and p---ed, so I'm going to go to another team and be 4th in the pecking order. I'll show them.

What a tool.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
So he has an ego? So he's vain? Big deal. All great players have the same problem for the most part. And most great players have a problem going from starter to bench player.  I won't hold it against him for it and it turns out the choice he made was better for him in the long run it looks like.
It's over with, I've moved on and no longer care.  I understand why he's not liked in Boston anymore but lets be real here. It's not like Larry Bird going to the Lakers or anything.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney

Let's see I'm 4th and p---ed, so I'm going to go to another team and be 4th in the pecking order. I'll show them.

What a tool.
Yes, but he'll probably get a ring with them and possibly play longer because of it. If KG and PP retire after this year then how would things turn out for him here?
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

What a tool.
Yes, but he'll probably get a ring with them and possibly play longer because of it. If KG and PP retire after this year then how would things turn out for him here?
Sure, if that's what he's after.

Pierce and Garnett, on the other hand, will rightfully  deserve a place in Celtics lore.

By leaving, Allen just inched towards the status of "someone who was just around for the championship" (think Eddie House or PJ Brown).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I will give Ray this.  I don't know if you can say it of Doc in Orlando or even his first few years in Boston but when the Big 3 arrived, Doc created a very hierarchical culture with the Celtics.  There were the main guys (KG, Pierce, Ray) and then there was everybody else.  That's different than what you see with Pop in San Antonio or Thibs with the Bulls.  In addition, Doc always treated Ray like his binky.  Ray was the guy who Doc always left on the floor over Pierce and KG when the bench would come in.  So I can sort of understand why he took his demotion below Rondo and then losing his starting spot to Avery so hard.  That still doesn't excuse his whining.

And while I'd agree that Doc's offense has had some serious problems, Ray was one of the reasons for it.  In his last 2 to 3 years in Boston, Ray really started to lose his ability to get separation from his defender, either individually or running off screens.  Yet Doc continued to call those plays for Ray.

Mike

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106

By leaving, Allen just inched towards the status of "someone who was just around for the championship" (think Eddie House or PJ Brown).
[/quote]

Great point, in twenty years when my kids hear about the the 08 championship they wont think about Ray Allen. Same with players like Glen Rice. Ray will be known as a great shooter who bounced around to HELP teams win championships. Where as, KG and Pierce will be known as great Celtics who lead there teams to be champions.

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 12:47:38 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
What a diva

Well according to the Daily News, one of Allen’s gripes about his time in Boston was that he was fourth in Coach Doc Rivers’ pecking order, behind Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo. The Celtics were not happy that Allen defected to the rival Heat last summer as a free agent, while by the end of his time in Boston, Allen told close allies that he felt he ran fourth on Doc Rivers’ list of favorites, after Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo.”
This isn't even a direct quote by Ray Allen, it is some close ally or allies, and then a lot of speculation and inference by the reporter.

This proves nothing.  There is plenty to pick on Ray about without jumping on to something like this.

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney

What a tool.

Pierce and Garnett, on the other hand, will rightfully  deserve a place in Celtics lore.

There's no guarantee that #20 would've gone up anyway.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

What a tool.

No, but if he would have stayed, at least in my mind he would have been an integral piece of a great team who won a championship, and then was a contender for multiple years against all odds. You know, a team that went down with pride and flying colors, the Garnett/Pierce/Allen/Rondo Celtics. Except this team is now just the Garnett/Pierce/Rondo Celtics.

In any case, whatever rocks Allen's boat -- he was the oldest of the three, so perhaps he felt he would retire before everyone else anyhow. But for the love of grilled cheese, enough with those articles already. You made your bed in Miami, and it is what it is.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

What a tool.

No, but if he would have stayed, at least in my mind he would have been an integral piece of a great team who won a championship, and then was a contender for multiple years against all odds. You know, a team that went down with pride and flying colors, the Garnett/Pierce/Allen/Rondo Celtics. Except this team is now just the Garnett/Pierce/Rondo Celtics.

In any case, whatever rocks Allen's boat -- he was the oldest of the three, so perhaps he felt he would retire before everyone else anyhow. But for the love of grilled cheese, enough with those articles already. You made your bed in Miami, and it is what it is.

if he were to go to another team, maybe we will retire his jersey cuz of the championship, the 3 pt record and the times he bailed us out in playoff games.

but because he went to the enemy that beat us in the playoffs, he doesn't deserve to be on the rafters

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

What a tool.

if he were to go to another team, maybe we will retire his jersey cuz of the championship, the 3 pt record and the times he bailed us out in playoff games.

but because he went to the enemy that beat us in the playoffs, he doesn't deserve to be on the rafters

I think they only way he could have made it up there is if he played three more years (in Boston) and then retired.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"