Author Topic: Jeff Green Has Rebounding Incentive In Contract  (Read 1700 times)

Jeff Green Has Rebounding Incentive In Contract
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Danny Ainge included a rebounding incentive in Jeff Green’s four-year, $36 million contract extension.

"That one area was our biggest concern," Ainge said. "To me, it's not a lack of effort. It's about bad habits.

"I don't think Jeff has ever focused on rebounding in his life, from what I can tell."

Green acknowledged he's aware of the rebounding incentive, though he indicated he hasn't given it much thought since the season began.

"Money comes, and money goes," Green said. "I just want to win games. I could care less how much money is riding on a rebound. It's contrary to who I am. You do that and you're thinking about the wrong things. It's just not my mindset."

Green is pulling in just 7.9 percent of all available rebounds while he’s on the court.

Re: Jeff Green Has Rebounding Incentive In Contract
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:05:49 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Easy to say when you're making $8mil a year; playing hard about.... eeehhh.... 60% of the time; and you're one god awful rebounder.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Danny Ainge included a rebounding incentive in Jeff Green’s four-year, $36 million contract extension.

"That one area was our biggest concern," Ainge said. "To me, it's not a lack of effort. It's about bad habits.

"I don't think Jeff has ever focused on rebounding in his life, from what I can tell."

Green acknowledged he's aware of the rebounding incentive, though he indicated he hasn't given it much thought since the season began.

"Money comes, and money goes," Green said. "I just want to win games. I could care less how much money is riding on a rebound. It's contrary to who I am. You do that and you're thinking about the wrong things. It's just not my mindset."

Green is pulling in just 7.9 percent of all available rebounds while he’s on the court.

winning consists of having possession of the ball, so start worrying about it. Otherwise ,he is play pretty good the last few months.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Hey did Ricky Davis have a rebounding incentive in his contract too   ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rebounding is an effort stat, but unless you're a total athletic freak (e.g. Faried) or really large, it's also a matter of fundamentals.  Green is athletic, but he's not so much more gifted than players he matches up against that he can rebound based on physically gifts alone. 

Unfortunately, rebounding fundamentals don't seem to be something that Green possesses, and players don't tend to suddenly become much better rebounders.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Yeah it's such a myth that rebounding is about effort. Sure thats part of it, just like anything in basketball.

Maybe Green can learn to be a better rebounder but to me it seems like one of the harder things in the game to practice and improve yourself on.

For him "not worrying" about it, to me he is saying that he's more worried about the team playing well and winning. He's not out there to steal rebounds or focus on that more than the greater good of the team etc. This makes sense to me.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Hey did Ricky Davis have a rebounding incentive in his contract too   ;D

yep, but defensive self-rebounds were strictly prohibited....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
So he's trying to say he doesn't care about money so he doesn't grab rebounds, he just cares about winning? I'm pretty sure rebounds are key to winning.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 05:28:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I'd rather he never get offensive rebounds.

I want the shot to go in the FIRST time.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So he's trying to say he doesn't care about money so he doesn't grab rebounds, he just cares about winning? I'm pretty sure rebounds are key to winning.

Yeah, that's exactly what he's saying.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

He's saying he's not going to do some stat-padding or let other parts of his game suffer to make a few extra dollars.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 06:56:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

He's saying he's not going to do some stat-padding or let other parts of his game suffer to make a few extra dollars.

But isn't it easier to just automatically assume the worst, most salacious thing possible depsite no true context or tone to determine the real meaning of what was said?

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

I think you're immediately moving to the worst possible assumption about that statement.

Also have you watched the celtics play this system for the past 4 years? Clearly rebounds aren't key to winning for them. They have consistently made it deep into the playoffs despite being one of the worst rebounding teams in the league each year.

People on here can go and be the Utah jazz with their 3 seven footers and grab tons of rebounds, I'd rather be a Celtic and win more to be honest.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I wonder what the number is to make the incentive? At 3.3 rebounds a game for the first 52, my guess is he won't get there.