Author Topic: Ainge says Delonte West is among the list of names considering signing  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Chris Forsberg ‏@ESPNForsberg
Ainge on @WEEI said Delonte West is on team’s list of potential names to add, but expresses hesitation given time away from game.

Ainge:
"You know, Delonte is a player we know better than anyone in the NBA. He's on the list of guys we are looking at. We have a long list of players and he's on that list. It's a difficult thing for players who haven't played since last April to come in and contribute."

Ainge says Delonte West is among the list of names considering signing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

Danny Ainge says Delonte West is among the list of names the Celtics are considering signing, but the team is hesitant because of West's time away from the game.
The Celts' are in desperate need of some backcourt depth after losing Leandro Barbosa (knee) and Rajon Rondo (knee), but it's doubtful they'll end up turning to West. Jannero Pargo's agent said Thursday that Ainge has been in contact with him about the Celtics signing Pargo, who would be a far better option than the mercurial and temperamental West.

Source: Chris Forsberg on Twitter

Re: Ainge says Delonte West is among the list of names considering signing
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd rather go in a different direction just due to hi potential lockeroom distraction.  I think his game is probably comparable to Barbosa's in ability to contiribute.

Would be ok with it though, so long as the vets on the team were.

Re: C's also "looking" at Delonte West
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »

Offline frosty33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
sign him, ASAP

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Give this guy a third chance, Danny.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Everyone who can walk and dribble a ball is on the list of names at this point. It's slim pickings nonetheless.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Sorry
Didnt see there was another thread on this. Delete mine or just merged it if u can

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We are desperate if we sign West, plays hard but not stable and completely unreliable from a fragile standpoint.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 06:48:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Danny there is a reason he is not in the league.  He is completely unrealible from a physical standpoint.  Granted, he isn't as bad as Oden but he is pretty bad.  This doesn't even touch his gangster bi-polar behaviors.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I would also be hesitant to sign West.  I'd tell him that if he wants a shot, he should report to the D-League like he said he was going to while the Celtics think it over and evaluate him, and that he should expect to have to go through a couple of ten-day contracts first.  If he can't handle those conditions, then he's not mentally capable of being what the Celtics need.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
We are desperate if we sign West, plays hard but not stable and completely unreliable from a fragile standpoint.

Thank you for being a voice of reason in this debate. I like Delonte as much as most Cs fans, and he indeed knows the system, but he also has a long injury history; if Boston signs him within the next week, he'll probably suffer a significant injury within a month.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 06:59:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'd say losing twoorotation quality guards in a two week span, one of which is a star player, does make us desperate.  Hopefully not so desperate we need to sign West, but at this point there aren't many better options.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00:50 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Dirty Redz, yessir! Sign him up RIGHT NOW! I love DWest and don't care how crazy he is b/c if he isn't hurt he goes all in and we can always use players like that! So what if he is a little unstable mentally, it's not like we haven't had him 2 times b4, we know what to do and what not to already! Give my guy his 3rd (or billionth) chance!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
So what if he is a little unstable mentally, it's not like we haven't had him 2 times b4, we know what to do and what not to already!

I have a strong suspicious that those two previous stints are working against Delonte West and Ainge is hesitant precisely because he knows exactly what the Celtics are in for.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we can't pick up Pargo, I would give West a shot - see how his health holds up, see how he integrates with the team. If he doesn't work out, I cut him and sign Jonny Flynn who will just about be done with the Aussie league.

We aren't going to get any ultra-quality players. West has more upside than others, for sure, we just need to make sure he is physically and mentally able to contribute