Author Topic: How much expiring, not playing, money is available for trade right now?  (Read 3929 times)

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Keyon Dooling
Leandro Barbosa
Darko Milicic
Dionte Christmas
Kris Joseph
Jarvis Varnado

I'm fairly confident Barbosa can be but what about the rest of them? Can these guys be traded? If so, how much money is there to trade to match up?

I think Bassy and Jermaine O'neal are two realistic players that can be added to the squad and possibly contribute. I know both left on bad terms, but I wonder if time hasn't healed those wounds. Anyway, a deal for them would be nothing earth shattering, maybe include a 2nd rounder, money and an expiring or six. Thing is, I don’t think we can afford to give up any able bodies at this point so I hope some of these guys have tradedable contracts.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: How much expiring, not playing, money is available for trade right now?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Barbosa is the only one still on the roster and therefore tradeable.

None of the others can be used as salary filler in a trade.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:32:10 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
If we could bring back Darko I would love that. He ahoulda been here playing all along.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Barbosa is the only one still on the roster and therefore tradeable.

None of the others can be used as salary filler in a trade.

Yeah, this.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
And there is no way we could we sign, say, a Delonte West and package him with Barbosa for Bassy and Jermaine, right?

Man, the C's are in a tough spot...

The reality is we might have to trade Courtney Lee for multiple players or just keep everyone and sign whoever gets dropped Mikki Moore style.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 05:06:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If we could bring back Darko I would love that. He ahoulda been here playing all along.
Can't bring back a player you've waived already this season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Actually they can, I believe.  You can't bring back a player you traded away, and who was then subsequently waived, but you are allowed to bring back a guy you simply waived without a trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
And there is no way we could we sign, say, a Delonte West and package him with Barbosa for Bassy and Jermaine, right?

Under the new rules, you can't sign-and-trade a player who you signed during the season.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Actually they can, I believe.  You can't bring back a player you traded away, and who was then subsequently waived, but you are allowed to bring back a guy you simply waived without a trade.

Pretty sure that's my understanding also.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 05:22:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Hm.

I thought that being unable to reacquire a player you've dispensed of covered both trades and waivers, but apparently not.

Apparently I was mistaken.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Do the Celtics still have any rights to Nenad Krstic?

I know he signed a 2-year deal in June 2011 to play with CSKA Moscow. Could he potentially be signed to play for Boston after the Euroleague season concludes (whenever that is)?

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Do the Celtics still have any rights to Nenad Krstic?

I know he signed a 2-year deal in June 2011 to play with CSKA Moscow. Could he potentially be signed to play for Boston after the Euroleague season concludes (whenever that is)?

He's committed through at least early April.  The finals of the Euroleague final four is May 12.

Still, they have his Bird rights.  A big man rotation next season of KG (with minutes reduced more to 25-28 mpg), a healthy Sullinger, Bass, Krstic, and perhaps the big man equivalent of Leandro Barbosa (as in a guy worth more than the minimum who finds himself squeezed in the market) plus Pierce/Green and Bradley/Lee/Terry joining with a Rondo who can go at full speed by the end of the season, playing the sort of defense we expect all-season long instead of taking months to figure it out, wouldn't be considered among the favorites but could have a shot at being a legitimate contender.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Man, the C's are in a tough spot...

The reality is we might have to trade Courtney Lee for multiple players or just keep everyone and sign whoever gets dropped Mikki Moore style.

Could still trade Collins and Barbosa for Telfair and JO. The numbers work.

The rub is that Ainge reportedly said he wants to bring Barbosa back next year. Trading Barbosa away might complicate that.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the Celtics actually have room for three minimum salary additions and not two, it makes long-term sense to avoid trading away Barbosa if you can avoid it.  If the Celtics don't waive him or waive him but he doesn't sign with another team, they can re-sign him next season if he recovers, after which they will have his early Bird rights.

The Celtics are in a position where they could have the cap space to sign or trade for a max-contract guy to add to a core that might consist of Rondo, Green, Sullinger, and Bradley (and maybe another Ainge late first-round gem) in the summer of 2014 if KG retires.  Setting things up so the team might be able to pay Barbosa more than minimum without a salary exception means that the team has the flexibility to put together a better bench if another championship window opens up with whoever they can bring in.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
If the Celtics actually have room for three minimum salary additions and not two, it makes long-term sense to avoid trading away Barbosa if you can avoid it.
Ainge said during the Bulls game that they can add 3 minimum contracts.