Poll

Will Rondo And Smith Duo Bring This Team To A Championship Ring And Playoffs?

Championship Title
16 (33.3%)
Playoffs Only
32 (66.7%)
No Playoffs Appearance At All And No Ring
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Would A Rondo/Smith Duo Bring This Team To A Championship Ring And Playoffs?  (Read 8654 times)

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Short answer: yes.

Josh Smith is one of those that thrives in the right environment (cough... celtic green). Worth a max deal, and he's a freak. And he's huge. Why not?

I know that everyone is essentially a lose until they win, but I really believe Josh Smith is never going to be a key ingredient to a top tier team.
Yup

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think RR and Smith could be great parts of a championship team, but I agree with other posters in that we need a go-to stud scorer and another playoff caliber quality big to go with them.

I think with one other star level player (preferably a big) they could def be a solid playoff team.  A team good enough to contend for a ring?  depends on who the other players are.

Rondo and Smith and garbage in the rest of the team is not a playoff team in my opinion.  Rondo is my fav player, but you need more than him and Smith.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Two stubborn guys who can't shoot and think they are superstars? Yep, sounds like a recipe for disaster. Their teammates would hate them and no decent player would ever want to come here and play with them.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Smith & horford AND Joe Johnson couldn't do much. We'd be awesome if we could replace bass with Smith in our current situation. Rondo & Smith just aren't good enough.
I mean a starting 5 of
 Smith
rondo,
Green
Bradley
Gortat
 is good but do they challenge Miami and OKC? Perhaps, but they're a 60/40 underdog.
We'd need green to become a 20/7/5 player full time and still we'd need more shooting at the perimeter to be a real threat.
Perhaps Eric Gordon instead of Bradley...just need way more scoring punch with only rondo at point...guys who can ACtually convert rondos passes to points....
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Smith & horford AND Joe Johnson couldn't do much. We'd be awesome if we could replace bass with Smith in our current situation. Rondo & Smith just aren't good enough.
I mean a starting 5 of
 Smith
rondo,
Green
Bradley
Gortat
 is good but do they challenge Miami and OKC? Perhaps, but they're a 60/40 underdog.
We'd need green to become a 20/7/5 player full time and still we'd need more shooting at the perimeter to be a real threat.
Perhaps Eric Gordon instead of Bradley...just need way more scoring punch with only rondo at point...guys who can ACtually convert rondos passes to points....

I don't care who you have. When your offense is predicated on iso joe then your chances for success are limited.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I mean a starting 5 of
 Smith
rondo,
Green
Bradley
Gortat

20 from Green would be nice, I don't see why we'd need a ton of assists and rebounds from him with Rondo, Smith and a center on the team. In any case, if you get 20 from Green, close to that from Smith, 25 or so (combined) from Rondo and another guard and anything at all from your center that's plenty of scoring from your starters. Look at the Celts recently, it's been 19 or so from PP, 16 from Ray, 15 from KG and 11 or so from Rondo. It's not like you need 2-3 elite scorers to replace that.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Josh Smith is one of those that thrives in the right environment (cough... celtic green). Worth a max deal, and he's a freak. And he's huge. Why not?

I know that everyone is essentially a lose until they win, but I really believe Josh Smith is never going to be a key ingredient to a top tier team.

Not as the leader or second option.

But he could be the third best player on a championship team.

Not worth a max contract though. And I don't think Rondo is either. If he hits free agency after this contract is up, I'd be shocked if some team other than us offered him a max deal.

So investing ~$25-30M a year on these two would indeed be a bad idea.
CELTICS 2024

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

Not as the leader or second option.

But he could be the third best player on a championship team.

Not worth a max contract though. And I don't think Rondo is either. If he hits free agency after this contract is up, I'd be shocked if some team other than us offered him a max deal.

So investing ~$25-30M a year on these two would indeed be a bad idea.

agree

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
All i want is when kg and pp retires, that that team carry on with the same mindset and the same pride that these guys were playing.

Offline Mikedmx6

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Is there any truth to this new rumor coming about that josh smiths primary destination he wants is the celtics?

So why not play out season and if kg does retire or pay cut or anything can they make it happen? Especially if pierce is only guarenteed 5 mil?

I really feel like ainge has something up his sleeve, I don't think kg mentioning last all star game is just coincidence? Part of trade n then retires cause he bleeds green? I'm sure many of you have this theory as well.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
this duo will win and consistently make the playoffs, around 4th seed maybe with the right mix of players. But it's just not a championship caliber core. Both are impact players and will do extremely well in the secondary star role, but both their games have enough flaws in them that they can't be "franchise players".
- LilRip

Offline 1dude

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
By popular consensus, this would be a playoff team that I'd go for. Having rondo green smith and bradley on the roster could potentially create an attractive destination for players looking for a ring. A discounted contract for smith would help the situation. I say we go for it.

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
with rondo hogging the ball
i don't think we can make to playoffs either

we got a good bench players since the start
lee is disappointed
barbosa wants release
milicic has never been used
terry is struggling

what makes you think him and rondo will do well
hahahaha
if pierce was injured
who would you put in? smith at SF
who is your pf?
sully is traded green is traded
bradley is traded also

i repeat
danny ferry is not a ST*PID GM he knows what he is doing
why take an aging pierce and kg, while we are in rebuild mode (RIGHT?)
and why would danny ferry just let smith walked out of the team and not gain something, while brooklyn and suns can give a good players in return? (RIGHT?)
just like letting go of amaire and tyson, without getting something in return, or bosh or lebron, without getting something (RIGHT?)

i will also repeat this, unless kg and pierce are retired traded or waived, that is the time you cam sign smith
but kg and pierce will not retire 100% sure of that

so the only way to get smith
is by blowing up the team
and trading our 1st round picks
and young assets

and josh smith is a weak side shot blocker...
if you fans are thinking lebron vs smith 1 on 1? are you serious?
lebron and smith 1on1?

i'd rather stick to jeff green
or bring back tony allen
100% sure lebron will have a hard time attacking the basket

AGREE WITH ME NOW

Offline jamala22

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Playoff team? Yes.

Championship Team? Who else is on the squad?

Green = Schrempf
Bradley = Hawkins
Sullinger = Sam Perkins
Rondo = Payton
Smith = Kemp

The 1995-96 Seattle SuperSonics were two wins away from World Title against the greatest player ever in Michael Jordan.

I'm as big of a Celtics homer as the next guy, but seriously, this comparison makes absolutely no sense.  Payton at that point was at the top of his game and so was Kemp(they were complete players at that point).  Those 2 were next to unstoppable together that year.  Hawkins was coming off a year where he shot 44% from 3, Bradly is nowhere near the shooter he was, Perkins and Detlef were also very good 3 point shooters.  All 5 listed players from that Sonics team could score.  Big Jeff Green fan but he's nowhere near what Detlef was at that point.

Offline jamala22

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Playoff team? Yes.

Championship Team? Who else is on the squad?

Green = Schrempf
Bradley = Hawkins
Sullinger = Sam Perkins
Rondo = Payton
Smith = Kemp

The 1995-96 Seattle SuperSonics were two wins away from World Title against the greatest player ever in Michael Jordan.

I'm as big of a Celtics homer as the next guy, but seriously, this comparison makes absolutely no sense.  Payton at that point was at the top of his game and so was Kemp(they were complete players at that point).  Those 2 were next to unstoppable together that year.  Hawkins was coming off a year where he shot 44% from 3, Bradly is nowhere near the shooter he was, Perkins and Detlef were also very good 3 point shooters.  All 5 listed players from that Sonics team could score.  Big Jeff Green fan but he's nowhere near what Detlef was at that point.

The Celtics team you list will be a solid team, but will be in that 4-7 range in the Eastern Conference....