Poll

Will Rondo And Smith Duo Bring This Team To A Championship Ring And Playoffs?

Championship Title
16 (33.3%)
Playoffs Only
32 (66.7%)
No Playoffs Appearance At All And No Ring
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Would A Rondo/Smith Duo Bring This Team To A Championship Ring And Playoffs?  (Read 8694 times)

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
Will Rondo And Smith Duo Bring This Team To A Championship Ring And Playoffs? Next Year?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:16:45 PM by IndeedProceed »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Not when there are duos out there like bron and wade, Paul and griffin, durant and Westbrook,, etc.   if we managed to add smith while keepin our two best players, kg and pierce, then we would at least make some noise

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Thank god, another poll....

and no, a team built around rondo and smith could not win a chmapionship. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
They should be a playoff team.  They would need a lot of help to be a contender.  Rondo and Smith, along with Bradley, would be a nice defensive core.  But, they would need scorers.

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
They should be a playoff team.  They would need a lot of help to be a contender.  Rondo and Smith, along with Bradley, would be a nice defensive core.  But, they would need scorers.

I agree with both your points but at the end but im not sure this team could realistically be a contender.  I don't necessarily believe you can win without a top tier guy.  And I think Smith is a third tier star and rondo a second tier.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree with both your points but at the end but im not sure this team could realistically be a contender.  I don't necessarily believe you can win without a top tier guy.  And I think Smith is a third tier star and rondo a second tier.

I agree with you.  And I am not thrilled at the idea of going forward with those two as your core.

With that said, top tier guys are insanely hard to come by.  And if this is a way we can keep the team winning ball games, I would at least consider it. 

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
obvious playoff team...doubtful you get a title out of it

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I concur with most of the other comments.  The poll should probably be reworded.  It is two questions:

Would they be a playoff team?  Yes.

Would they win a title?  Probably not - depends a lot on what the rest of the team is composed of.

A core of Rondo, Bradley, Green & JSmith is a pretty solid, athletic foursome, that would probably be very good defensively, so that's always a great place to start.

But as others have mentioned you need reliable and consistent scoring as well.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Playoff team? Yes.

Championship Team? Who else is on the squad?

Green = Schrempf
Bradley = Hawkins
Sullinger = Sam Perkins
Rondo = Payton
Smith = Kemp

The 1995-96 Seattle SuperSonics were two wins away from World Title against the greatest player ever in Michael Jordan.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:00:36 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Two very talented but erratic players. D would be horrendous.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Probably not, especially since there wouldn't be a lot of help coming in free agency.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo's certainly shown that he can play like a top tier star in the playoffs. They certainly wouldn't be title favorites but with a decent center and subs their title chances would probably be somewhere around that of the Clips right now, second tier contenders.

fitzhickey

Playoffs but no ring

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Playoff team? Yes.

Championship Team? Who else is on the squad?

Green = Schrempf
Bradley = Hawkins
Sullinger = Sam Perkins
Rondo = Payton
Smith = Kemp

The 1995-96 Seattle SuperSonics were two wins away from World Title against the greatest player ever in Michael Jordan.

Interesting.  Not that it needs saying but if Sully becomes Perkins (esp. given the surgery) and Green becomes Schrempf (Schrepf was dang good), I'll be pretty happy.

I think that, as others have said, it's all about who else they have.    Neither Smith nor Rondo are MJ, Shaq, Larry or Magic.  With Sully, Green, Bradley playing key roles, I think they still need another stud to be top tier.  One who can shoot a free throw. 

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Rondo/Smith would have some similarities to Kidd/K-Mart.  A good core for staunch defensive team with a streaky transition-dependent offense. 

I'd want a gifted volume scorer to go along with them. Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Brook Lopez...
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri