3 (11.5%)
10 (38.5%)
3 (11.5%)
more than 3
4 (15.4%)
to retire after this season
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: How many seasons more KG can play?  (Read 1796 times)

How many seasons more KG can play?
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
How many seasons more KG can play? I think he is our best player, and i feel he can contribute for at least 3 years. More opinions from you folks...

Re: How many seasons more KG can play?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I give him his contract length and no more than that. I suspect his workload will be reduced to 1500 minutes maximum during the 82 game season. That is 60 games at 25 minutes per game. Right now he is around 1800 and perhaps as high as 2000 minutes. He is wearing down and I think Paul Pierce is. The reason is Boston's crummy start to the year that has them pressing just to make the post season.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
He can play for as long as he wants to as far as I'm concern, and still have a high level of effectiveness.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
At some point he'll just lose his ability to be more than a big stiff who can foul hard and/or jumpshoot.

But I think he has at least one more year of above average play left beyond this one, and then probably another year maybe two of full on role player level production.

I doubt he'll want to keep playing once his play falls that hard though.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
As long as he wants to . .. up until age 40. He's probably still a top 10 defender (if not better) in the NBA. He is an effective jump shooter, passer, facilitator and general team leader.

I don't think his ability to do what he currently does will drop off that dramatically in the next couple years. He should be able to fulfill his current deal at a high level barring injury.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My best guess at this point is that KG will return next season, along with Pierce.  After the dust settles from this season, I'm sure he'll look back and think "what if?".  The what if being if Rondo hadn't gotten injured.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think you just take it one season at a time when you reach KG's age.

He clearly has another season in him after this one. Beyond that, too hard to tell.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I think you just take it one season at a time when you reach KG's age.

He clearly has another season in him after this one. Beyond that, too hard to tell.

agreed. one more for sure. after that who knows.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 06:29:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think two more after this, despite his recent rumblings in the news.

BUT - we need either Bass to start stepping up BIG TIME (like vs CHI last night, but on a NIGHTLY basis), or another MARQUEE Big....

...Josh Smith, you reading this?

As much as I'm sure KG loves the game and this team, it's not good for him to be doing much of the heavy lifting like he has. If this continues, then he may very well be done sooner than later.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
It depends on the pain he's going through. In my head he can play until 40, because he's that good.

But as GreenFaith says, we need capable bigs to take some pounding off KG. If he has to deal with all those 7-footers without major help, he'll be out of the league too soon imo.
Not sure who, but it better happen sooner than later.

It makes sense to both KG and Pierce to play this year out and see what's our team next year. This year's playoff run will be very useful to guys like Green, Bradley and Lee, and if you add healthy Rondo and Sully, that could motivate the veterans to stay one more year.

Go Celtics!!

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 06:55:07 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Kareem was still quite effective at the age of 40. I can see the same for KG.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I honestly believe he has one more season in him left, mentally that is, not physically.  Physically I think he's one of those rare players who could continue playing in the league till he's 40.  Mentally, I believe he's not ready to hang them up yet, especially if Paul plans on sticking around and Rondo is healthy again.

Maybe that's just my wishful thinking, and his comments yesterday were indeed slightly ominous, but I voted with my gut.  KG plays one more season after this.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 07:17:49 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
No vote because I wish he would play til he can't walk anymore, I love KG... will be sad when he retires. I am still hurt over Shaq, while it wont be the same with KG for me, I will still be very sad. So my "vote" is, always play for the Celts and if he can no longer play, just let him stand on the court for the first play of every game while pounding his chest! LOL
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
as long as we can get a QUALITY back-up center who can limit him to 20minutes a game during the regular season.

this is why i'm hoping Melo can pan out by next year so we can play both him/Green major minutes so we can limit Pierce/KG for the playoffs