Author Topic: Kevin Garnett: "This will be my last All-Star Game, you don't know what I know"  (Read 12810 times)

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Umm....can someone tell me who "Gethin Coolbaugh" is.....?

Have NEVER heard of him...

cheesy source from the sound of it. I'll wait patiently until KG officially says something

http://boston.sbnation.com/authors/gethin-coolbaugh

He's the regional editor for SBNation, and others have reported it. The quote is legitimate.

Trust me, I'm the first guy who calls shenanigans on bad sources. I don't bring cheese to the party.

Yeah, but if you listen to the youtube vid that ImShak posted, KG just sounds likes he's talking about the AS weekend....doesn't sound like he's getting shipped out of town or anything.

I'm still not reading too much into this - especially after the youtube clip from ImShak.

I have to say I'm a bit concerned with this.

To me KG looked a little bigger and emotional in the video interview there - he was talking very 'matter of fact' without any of his usual jokes, and at a few points it looked like his eyes were glassing over and borderline tearing up. 

There is another possibility as well - it's possible that DA has told the guys that a key player is going to be traded, maybe Pierce or Rondo.

The other day pregame somebody asked KG if he can imagine the team without Paul Pierce, and he replied with "I can't and I won't".  To me that was a pretty strong indication that if Pierce is traded out, KG is as good as gone.

Maybe Danny has worked a trade for Pierce, and KG has told DA that he will finish this season with the team, and then he's done.

One way or other this didn't look or sound like a simple "I don't think i'll be good enough to play in the All Star game", I looked and sounded more like a "I won't be around to play in the All Star game".

Also the "You don't know what I know" doesn't sound to me like KG suggesting he's just decided to retire for no reason.  If it was this, he would have been thinking about it constantly and most likely hold the thought until after the season.  This sounded like a very direct response to something major that has happened, which has instantly made his mind for him.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If KG does retire this summer, I will be really annoyed that Danny did not dump Pierce and other medium-term contracts at this trade deadline.

This is where I'm at, too.  If this is KG's last ride, makes no sense to hold on for "one last run" when we're missing two of our five best players.

If at all possible, sell off the guys who have no real value beyond this season -- e.g. Pierce, Terry, and ideally Bass, too. Let KG have his last run on a team that can credibly challenge for the title.  I'd love to see him have one last go catching lobs from Chris Paul and chest-bumping with Blake Griffin.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
If KG does retire this summer, I will be really annoyed that Danny did not dump Pierce and other medium-term contracts at this trade deadline.

They still have their amnesty clause.

Yeah, can't use amnesty on player signed since the CBA like Lee, Bass, Terry though right?   I think these are the guys that Who would want moved if KG retires.

I believe we can only use it on Pierce and Rondo.  Both of those guys were resigned before the new CBA I think.

KG is probably not possible becuase his new deal was signed after the CBA.

If you guys recall, Garnett wasn't an all-star last year... so why wouldn't Garnett believe this would be his last considering that his remaining year/years are already numbered.

I wouldn't read too much into it about this being a declaration of him retiring after this season.

Yeah, I think KG is just not taking it for granted. Making the All-Star game I mean, taking that for granted.

He doesn't want to say, or assume, that he will have more ASG(s) in the future.

This is understandable, but it doesnt fit in with what he said. 

If that's what he meant you'd expect him to say "this could be my last All-Star game", but he said "this WILL be my last all star game". 

No debate, no 'maybe' in there - that was a statement made in point blank certainty .

The "You don't know what I know" just confirms this.  If he just figured he'd probably not get voted in, then that last comment doesn't fit.  It suggests there is a certain event that has either happened or will happen that is going to directly force KG to never play in an All Star game again.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Maybe KG plans on coming off the bench next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would be very surprised if KG retired after the year.  I'll just leave it like that.

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
sounds like he'll reduce his minutes significantly next year for the regular season... coming off the bench, etc.

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
If this is his last season (assuming the twitter source is true) then I expected it. When I saw that 3 year contract he signed, I was like "Theres no way he'll finish that contract"

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
how is this shocking at all?  jackie macmullen wrote about it a year ago.  the dude is in pain playing every night.  that's just the way it is with that many miles.  he probably should have called it quits last year but that late playoff run made him reconsider.   he knows now there isn't any chance to win the title again.  what would he come back for next year?   more trade rumors and no title?

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
actually i take it back. I can't see KG coming off the bench, especially for 11 mill a year. Actually i dont think ive ever heard him say he's ok coming off the bench for the team. We've heard shaq say it, and ray allen said he was "ok" with it, but never from KG.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
You can look into this from a few angles.
I personally think KG is re-iterating that he shouldn't have been picked an All Star and there probably are some young guns that deserve it more.

More importantly, you look at how cooked he is right now and he'd just LOVE to have the All Star weekend off.
I'd say he might just take off the ASW next year or he'll take a backseat on the team when we sign a big free agent.
Perhaps he knows something about a player joining the Celtics that we don't?

If we have a nice run this year without Rondo, there's no reason to think he'll quit when he sees how good we can be.
He'll just have to take it easier on his body and take nights off like tonight and miss the All Star weekend when his body needs all the rest he can get.
Don't get too down. KG hasn't decided whether or not he's retired  at end of season yet. He'll look at the big picture and see who we can get.

Although it makes me excited that he knows something about a roster move or who Danny is gunning for in the off season.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
plain and simple, he's telling DA to get him some help to win because hes not gonna play forever.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Maybe he's saying it because he does not want to play another all star game? Or maybe he knows he won't make it next year.

God I hope he does not hang it up yet.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Maybe they're getting rid of the game after this year and replacing it with the All New JayZ Lip Syn-Sync Slam Jam a-thon. 
Yup

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If this is his last season (assuming the twitter source is true) then I expected it. When I saw that 3 year contract he signed, I was like "Theres no way he'll finish that contract"

If ever there were a player I wouldn't expect to see playing into mediocrity it is KG.  I'd be surprised if he plays next year.

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
plain and simple, he's telling DA to get him some help to win because hes not gonna play forever.

AGREE ON YOU FOR THIS ONE

if kg got a help from C position will he says bad for his future?
example even a guy like thabeet or melo type or meyers leonard, as long as he can rebounds and play 20 minutes per game, kg would be happy