Author Topic: Kevin Garnett: "This will be my last All-Star Game, you don't know what I know"  (Read 12820 times)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hmm yeah interesting quote.

If KG does plan on retiring after this season, then wouldn't it make sense to deal him now to get some value for him before it's too late?

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Garnett, set to be a starter in his 15th All-Star appearance, affirmed that this would be his last All-Star Game. When a reporter asked how he could be so certain with two years remaining on his contract, Garnett replied, "Y'all don't know what I know."

"I’ll put it just like this: I’m more than grateful that I’m going to this game," said Garnett. "I’m not going to act like I got more All-Star Games in me, or whatever. So I’m actually going to enjoy this one with some friends and family. That’s what I meant." 

"[Rivers] gave me the opportunity to take the night off. I should have took that," joked Garnett. "I see everyone in here playing through everything, I'm no different than that. Paul [Pierce] is tired, everybody’s tired. No one is full of energy right now. I thought that was unfair. If [Rivers] wants to give everybody the night off, but that wasn’t an option. So I came out and gave what I could; tried to play hard, as always."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4702346/cryptic-kg-ready-for-last-all-star-game

Could mean that he just thinks he won't be good enough to make the all-star game next year. But I wouldn't be surprised if he does hang em up after the seasons over.

I think (and this is just speculation, not that it needs saying) that KG realized the finality of what he said, and said the second part to backtrack a little. He probably does feel like retiring after the season right now, it's been a tough month emotionally and physically for him, and he probably just wants to sleep in and rest right now. But who knows how he'll fee after he actually gets that chance to rest? Didnt take for Sheed.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, the reality is that KG is the kind of player that would refuse to play if he couldn't compete at a certain level.

He could very well be approaching that certain level.

I guess we all knew this was coming - BUT: I'm sure he's going to give it his all THIS season.

Who knows? Perhaps Danny will get him some more frontcourt help, and then he decides to lace them up again next season.

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i'll miss Kevin more than i missed Walker

but not more than i missed Scalabrine.
watchin this team run without KG would be weird for awhile..hoping Paul run again..i guess im being selfish.

everything must eventually change tho.

Offline yagru

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I guess I will watch the all star game this weekend then.

dam kg and his cryptic bs. It could mean a number of things, many of which end with him retiring. He has looked pretty wiped out at times this year with almost a look of regret for coming back lol.. but he still plays at such a high level. Just thinking about him leaving makes me very sad.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If KG does retire this summer, I will be really annoyed that Danny did not dump Pierce and other medium-term contracts at this trade deadline.

They still have their amnesty clause.

Yeah, can't use amnesty on player signed since the CBA like Lee, Bass, Terry though right?   I think these are the guys that Who would want moved if KG retires.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If you guys recall, Garnett wasn't an all-star last year... so why wouldn't Garnett believe this would be his last considering that his remaining year/years are already numbered.

I wouldn't read too much into it about this being a declaration of him retiring after this season.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If you guys recall, Garnett wasn't an all-star last year... so why wouldn't Garnett believe this would be his last considering that his remaining year/years are already numbered.

I wouldn't read too much into it about this being a declaration of him retiring after this season.

Yeah, I think KG is just not taking it for granted. Making the All-Star game I mean, taking that for granted.

He doesn't want to say, or assume, that he will have more ASG(s) in the future.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If KG does retire this summer, I will be really annoyed that Danny did not dump Pierce and other medium-term contracts at this trade deadline.

Yeah, can't use amnesty on player signed since the CBA like Lee, Bass, Terry though right?   I think these are the guys that Who would want moved if KG retires.
Yep, everybody. Garnett, Pierce, Terry, Green, Lee and Bass.

Free up as much cap space as possible to start building around Rondo and the rookie contract players immediately this summer. Not waste another season trying to move people before getting that cap space to open up.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Thoughts on this:
1. I hope he was just blowing off steam and venting because he felt worn down. Meaning that right now he feels like retiring.
2. I hope him saying "y'all don't know what I know" means he's leaning towards retirement and not the Danny is going to trade him like previous poster speculated.
3. If Danny did trade KG I can't see KG going for it unless Pierce was getting traded too, I hope neither of these things happen.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If KG does plan on retiring after this season, then wouldn't it make sense to deal him now to get some value for him before it's too late?

It might make more sense to wait until the off-season, if he would agree to hold off on retiring until after he is traded, so a team can do a pure salary dump of a big contract, perhaps so that other team can create cap space to sign a max-contract guy.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Yep, everybody. Garnett, Pierce, Terry, Green, Lee and Bass.

Free up as much cap space as possible to start building around Rondo and the rookie contract players immediately this summer. Not waste another season trying to move people before getting that cap space to open up.
To me Green recently has shown me that he deserves to be in the discussion for the future.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The more I think about it, I wouldn't really read much into this other than there's a good chance KG hangs 'em up after this season.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Weird. I would think he meant it like he won't make it again, but to say he knows something we don't? Doesn't make sense.

Also, I heard AB say on the post game Doc asked KG if he wanted to sit tonight. Maybe something is hurting him? Could he just be worn out?

He will be refreshed after the ASB.

Next year, Rondo and P2 won't let him retire.
CELTICS 2024