Author Topic: Will Rondo or Rose ever be the same after their surgeries?  (Read 1127 times)

Will Rondo or Rose ever be the same after their surgeries?
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm using Rondo and Rose as examples for my point here.

Both players bread and butter are to drive in, whether then it is to score the layup or kick it out and pass.

Now i'm no doctor but i read somewhere the chances to recover or play 100 percent pre acl/mcl surgeries are like 65 percent. So it is possible Rondo can be back being Rondo again , hopefully with the new found team ways (sharing the ball more etc.)

But on the dark side of this issue, you got guys like Al Harrington as a worse case example, not playing in the nba anymore after his acl surgery and he is not an old guy.

Not the best or worse case scenario (likeliest outcome), if this surgery prevents guys like Rondo/Rose from driving at will (either through losing a step or just constantly having fear to reinjure again) how effective can they be otherwise?? Both are not reliable shooters and it will be much easier for other teams to cheat off of them on defense.

thoughts?

Re: Will Rondo or Rose ever be the same after their surgeries?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:20:21 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
They obviously won't be the same, but maybe they'll be better. I mean, what about that guy who won MVP the season after his ACL injury? (the guy Rondo talked to)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
They obviously won't be the same, but maybe they'll be better. I mean, what about that guy who won MVP the season after his ACL injury? (the guy Rondo talked to)

yeah, adrian peterson i think. But you know for every Adrian Peterson, there are 3 Al Harrington's.

Maybe Rondo turns into a deadly shooter? =]

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
We'll see about Derrick Rose.  His game is entirely based on being the best athlete on the floor.  I'm not convinced that the rest of his game can keep him at an elite level if he's not the athlete he was.

Rondo, recently, has been more about change of pace, handle, and vision than sheer athleticism.  I actually don't think he uses his athleticism enough.  If the injury takes something from him, I really don't think his game will suffer all that much.

I don't know.  Maybe I'm underestimating how much he relies on his athletic gifts.  We'll see.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yeah .....is a chance to practice shooting .....practice till,he gets Kobe shooter elbow. ;D

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:18 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
What was Jeremy Lins injury? He looks the same as he always has, as far as moving around
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo's got great court vision, he's arguably the best passer in the game, does a great job of running an offense and Doc says he has the highest BBIQ of any player he's ever coached. He's been one of the most effective pgs in the league for a few years in spite of player cheating off of him.

BTW, how ridiculous is it that who's averaged the most assists a game over the last 3.5 seasons, both in the regular season and the playoffs is called the guy who doesn't share the ball?

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What was Jeremy Lins injury? He looks the same as he always has, as far as moving around

Its true lin was out with the same injury and is back playing pretty good. But the difference between his and Rose/Rondos game is that, he can really shoot the ball.

He doesn't have to overwork his legs to be effective in a game. Its hard to tell if he is back at 90 or 100 percent and it doesn't matter.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Its true lin was out with the same injury and is back playing pretty good. But the difference between his and Rose/Rondos game is that, he can really shoot the ball.

He doesn't have to overwork his legs to be effective in a game. Its hard to tell if he is back at 90 or 100 percent and it doesn't matter.

Lin isn't a particularly good shooter either.  .315 on threes this year, which is right about at his career norm.  He shoots about 40% on jumpshots overall.  That's worse than Rondo's mark this year and Rose's mark last year.

Anyway, Jeremy Lin's injury was a torn meniscus, not a torn ACL.  Not as severe.