Author Topic: Could this lineup win a title?  (Read 2760 times)

Could this lineup win a title?
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Let's assume everyone stays healthy...

PG Nash/Kidd
SG Vince Carter/Jason Terry
SF Pierce/Grant Hill
PF Garnett/Rasheed Wallace
C  Duncan/Dirk

Re: Could this lineup win a title?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Yup, quite obviously
Wouldn't mind swapping out Vince Carter for Ray Ray though

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:14:23 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Pierce, Garnett, Dirk & Duncan could alone.  Just put a couple of solid defensive guards and a shooter with those four, and it'd be a wrap.  Way too much interior talent for any actual team to match up with.  Pierce has proven himself a capable "Point Forwrd", Nash/Kidd wouldn't even be necessary.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Too many guys who need to play a big role and get their shots.  Not enough role players.

I mean, that team would be incredible some nights.  But I'm not sure it's as much a "slam dunk" as the names on the lineup card might suggest.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

PG Nash/Kidd
SF Pierce/Grant Hill
C  Duncan/Dirk

I mean...Yes.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not quite getting the point of these threads.  ::)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 11:50:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Too many guys who need to play a big role and get their shots.  Not enough role players.

I mean, that team would be incredible some nights.  But I'm not sure it's as much a "slam dunk" as the names on the lineup card might suggest.

I think that's a very inaccurate depiction of the suggested roster.

In fact, from the group, I only see two players that really need to get "their shots" to be effective in one degree or another, and that's Dirk and Vince Carter... they bring little else to the table, especially Carter. A case could be made for Pierce, but I think he's proven that he can be very effective while sacrificing his game.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

PG Nash/Kidd
SF Pierce/Grant Hill
C  Duncan/Dirk

They'd have to have very good control of the pace of the game. The Heat or the Thunder (to name two) would be a threat to run that team out of the gym every game.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In 2003 ...yes. In 2013 no way.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 01:39:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

In fact, from the group, I only see two players that really need to get "their shots" to be effective in one degree or another, and that's Dirk and Vince Carter... they bring little else to the table, especially Carter. A case could be made for Pierce, but I think he's proven that he can be very effective while sacrificing his game.

A team can only have a handful of guys who are the "core."  The rest have to be role players.

Other than Kidd, Carter, Hill, and Sheed, none of those players has really been forced to be a role player.  We've seen how much of a struggle it's been for Terry to get used to it this season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

A team can only have a handful of guys who are the "core."  The rest have to be role players.

Other than Kidd, Carter, Hill, and Sheed, none of those players has really been forced to be a role player.  We've seen how much of a struggle it's been for Terry to get used to it this season.

Pretty much all the players listed are role players, the only thing that prevents them from being labeled as such, is that they're great players and do a lot of things at an elite level.

Terry's struggle hasn't been because he hasn't had opportunities to shoot, but because he's been part of an offense that didn't involve him, so he was out of rhythm when the shots came to him. He's spent his whole career coming of the bench, he won't be a problem.

Duncan and KG don't need the ball to be effective, and they're elite defenders and rebounders.

Grant Hill doesn't need to be shooting shots to have a positive impact in the game.

Nash is as effective with the ball and playing off the ball.

Jason Kidd doesn't need shots.

Rasheed Wallace doesn't need shots to be effective, good low post defender.

In fact, if you can make a list of star players who could play well sharing the floor with other stars, a lot of the players listed here should be at the top of the list.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
In 2003 ...yes. In 2013 no way.

Duncan, kg and dirk have all led title teams since 2003...dirk did a season ago with  kidd and Terry and Deshawn Stevenson instead of pierce and Chandler instead of Duncan/kg

Idk