Author Topic: Disabled Player Exception?  (Read 741 times)

Disabled Player Exception?
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I apologize if this has already been brought up in another thread, but I didn't see anything.   Here is the rule I found for this exception:

Allows a team that is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for either the remainder of that season (for in-season injuries/deaths) or the next season (if the disability occurs during the offseason). The maximum salary of the replacement player is either 50% of the injured player's salary, or the mid-level exception for a non-taxpaying team, whichever is less. This exception requires an NBA-designated doctor to verify the extent of the injury. Under the 2005 CBA, a team could sign a player under this exception for five years; the 2011 CBA now allows this only for one year.[5]
Note that while teams can often use one exception to sign multiple players, they cannot use a combination of exceptions to sign a single player.

So I would think we would be eligible for it with 3 players going down for the year.  Has anyone heard any news on this?   If we are eligible it sounds like we could get the equivalent of the MLE which is 5 mil.   That could huge for us giving us the upper hand if some good veteran players are bought out.  We could even do something we have enough to offer Greg Oden to stash him away, and still sign 2 quality vets.   

I'd like to hear if anyone has heard anything about getting this exception. 

Re: Disabled Player Exception?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Jan 15th.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Thanks.  Well that stinks. 3 players go down within a month of that cutoff date.  Maybe the NBA will make an exception to allow us to use this exception rule but I doubt it.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Even if the NBA could give the Celtics that exception, the team would still be subject to the hard cap and only has space to sign approximately two minimum salary guys.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference