Author Topic: Big Changes @ WEEI  (Read 11000 times)

Big Changes @ WEEI
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Reports are that Ordway is out at WEEI with Mike Salk replacing him. Say what you want about the guy (esp the past decade or so) but he was a staple of Boston radio since the late 70s. 

This comes on the heels of Morning show flash guy Kevin Winter getting let go on Monday. 

How the once mighty has fallen.  WEEI used to be the top dog but its clear they are chasing Sports Hub at this point.

Personally, I think both stations are pretty horrific these days.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Big Changes @ WEEI
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Reports are that Ordway is out at WEEI with Mike Salk replacing him. Say what you want about the guy (esp the past decade or so) but he was a staple of Boston radio since the late 70s. 

This comes on the heels of Morning show flash guy Kevin Winter getting let go on Monday. 

How the once mighty has fallen.  WEEI used to be the top dog but its clear they are chasing Sports Hub at this point.

I have sports talk radio on my alarm, because it gives me enough aggravation to get out of bed.

Too bad that WAAF has the ridiculous Greg Hill in the morning, so I can' even get decent music on the way to work. Time to invest in some CDs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Whoah, thats pretty crazy.  Thanks to the Big "O" for plenty of commutes home that he entertained me through.  Personally, I think that WEEI screwed up when they originally tried to shake up their lineup. 

Dale and Holley was probably the most interesting and informative show on the station, they got rid of dale and tried to have holley help ordway.  Holley is still good but i honestly don't think they can compete with felger and mazz no matter who they pair Holley with.  Felger and Mazz is hands down the best show on sports radio in boston right now.

Also, didnt hear about Kevin Winter, but I think thats the right move he really sucked.  Meter was 10 times better than him. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I'm not saying this isn't true, it very well could be the reality of the situation going on behind the scenes, but I work for WEEI and this is the first I've heard of Big O being replaced.  There haven't been any inside rumors floating around the station at least which tends to happen when a shakeup is about to go down.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:11:38 PM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I wish they would get rid of those knuckleheads that are on in the morning. I can't listen to them anymore, spewing their republican agendas and kissing the ass of guys like Schilling. No thank you. Dump them please. Also not sad to see the Big O go, he's another one...

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I wish they would get rid of those knuckleheads that are on in the morning. I can't listen to them anymore, spewing their republican agendas and kissing the ass of guys like Schilling. No thank you. Dump them please. Also not sad to see the Big O go, he's another one...

They actually don't talk politics anymore, not in several months, even around the election.  Also, I don't think they really care for schilling
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:17:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not saying this isn't true, it very well could be the reality of the situation going on behind the scenes, but I work for WEEI and this is the first I've heard of Big O being replaced.  There haven't been any inside rumors floating around the station at least which tends to happen when a shakeup is about to go down.

Chad Finn was reporting it.  He's been pretty good on media stuff in the past.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red

Boston.com reporting it: http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/02/sources_weei_to_replace_glenn.html
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mostly enjoy the SportsHub.  Even when they're ridiculous, they're entertaining.

Not as big a fan of Gresh and Zo / Toucher and Rich.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games

Chad Finn was reporting it.  He's been pretty good on media stuff in the past.

Boston.com reporting it: http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/02/sources_weei_to_replace_glenn.html

Yeah, I saw the article by Finn who is usually spot on when it comes to industry news. As I said, this very likely could be what's going on, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they announced Big O was out as the afternoon guy.  It just hasn't been making the rounds within the station as a rumor.  I'm sure people will be talking about it now though.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games

They actually don't talk politics anymore, not in several months, even around the election.  Also, I don't think they really care for schilling

Agreed.  As someone who has to watch the D&C show everyday for work I can attest to the fact that they rarely ever talk politics or even subtly share their political views anymore.  It's been a transition over the last year that I think is a positive for their program.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Prof Clutch must be pretty plugged in at work haha... This is a done deal. He's gone

Shame, I have always liked him.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
EEI is a ghost town, Maybe Big O can take over 98.5's terrible mid day show.

I am a huge T&R fan, but not sure how much of a shelf life those guys have... esp on Sports Radio.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games
Prof Clutch must be pretty plugged in at work haha... This is a done deal. He's gone

Shame, I have always liked him.

Haha. It's true, Celticsblog was the place that broke this news for me.  These rumors haven't made their way down the hall to my office yet. 

It will be interesting anyway to see what's happening around the office when I get back from my lunch break considering this is now the front page story on Boston.com.  I'm sure people will be buzzing about it.  As I said in my above comments, this news doesn't surprise me at all and I won't be shocked if this story is confirmed by the end of the day.  I think inevitable changes have been on the horizon for quite some time now.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other-sports/2013/02/08/weei-convenes-focus-group-sport-hub-listeners/NYWNkJSSrmqdoRCW6rRxMJ/story.html

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 02:39:36 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

Agreed.  As someone who has to watch the D&C show everyday for work I can attest to the fact that they rarely ever talk politics or even subtly share their political views anymore.  It's been a transition over the last year that I think is a positive for their program.

Hmm I must've tuned out of EEI/D&C right around that time.  D&C was actually the last show that I would still switch over to EEI for on occasion.  I just remember those two would always get a laugh every time someone would call up and say "could you guys please talk sports!?" The response was always "haha, we talk about more than just sports here, deal with it."

Guess they should've been the first ones to see the demise coming...

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes