Author Topic: Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn  (Read 14029 times)

Re: Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Rondo doesn't need to change much - the team was blazing hot with him playing his game in the 2nd half of last season.

Last year we had a completely different team.

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo doesn't need to change much - the team was blazing hot with him playing his game in the 2nd half of last season.

We were slightly different. We still had (when Rondo was playing) the same starting 5 as we had down the stretch in 2012.

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 06:03:20 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

We were slightly different. We still had (when Rondo was playing) the same starting 5 as we had down the stretch in 2012.

except for the best 3 point shooter ever ;)(in the playoffs)

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 06:06:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

except for the best 3 point shooter ever ;)

Larry Bird?

If you mean Ray he missed 15 out of the last 20 games.

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Yeah but the bench is completely different. I wouldn't call that slightly different. Its different enough to make a huge difference in the kind of team we are.

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2013, 06:16:43 PM »

Offline Juneauz

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I recently heard that global warming is Rondo's fault too.

Hang the guy!

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I am not saying Rondo CAN'T change.  I am not saying Rondo Won'T change.  Because frankly, I really have no idea.

But here is the important question.  If Rondo DID change, then what kind of value would he bring to the team.  Off thd ball, he isn't really very much help at all to the team.  Guys will double off of him and his presence will probably hurt the offense more than it helps.

So basically, we either committ to Rondo and let him be Rondo or we don't.

First of all Rondo wouldn't really be off the ball that much, he'd be one of the primary ball handlers in this offense. Secondly it's not really the case that defenders stay close to the other guards when they don't have the ball. That's why you get open shots with this offense.

Also, if Rondo gets left completely open we'll be in great shape when he gets the ball and he's wide open, he can shoot or pass or drive. All nonsense aside, there's no way any team would consider players like Lee or Bradley to be bigger offensive threats than Rondo.
Are you indicating that defenses don't completely ignore Rondo when he doesn't have the ball?  That they don't completely clog the middle every chance they get?  Or that they don't play Lee or Bradley more honestly when they don't have the ball than they do Rondo. 

Because that is what I see.

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Yeah but the bench is completely different. I wouldn't call that slightly different. Its different enough to make a huge difference in the kind of team we are.

Not really. The team got off to a slow start last year as well. Eventually Doc would have shortened the rotations and had more set rotations and we'd have started playing better.

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I am not saying Rondo CAN'T change.  I am not saying Rondo Won'T change.  Because frankly, I really have no idea.

But here is the important question.  If Rondo DID change, then what kind of value would he bring to the team.  Off thd ball, he isn't really very much help at all to the team.  Guys will double off of him and his presence will probably hurt the offense more than it helps.

First of all Rondo wouldn't really be off the ball that much, he'd be one of the primary ball handlers in this offense. Secondly it's not really the case that defenders stay close to the other guards when they don't have the ball. That's why you get open shots with this offense.

Also, if Rondo gets left completely open we'll be in great shape when he gets the ball and he's wide open, he can shoot or pass or drive. All nonsense aside, there's no way any team would consider players like Lee or Bradley to be bigger offensive threats than Rondo.
Are you indicating that defenses don't completely ignore Rondo when he doesn't have the ball?  That they don't completely clog the middle every chance they get?  Or that they don't play Lee or Bradley more honestly when they don't have the ball than they do Rondo. 

I think you're kidding yourself if you think that people stick with players like Bradley and Lee when they don't have the ball. Heck, watch all the wide open shots KG gets, he's standing still on the perimeter without anyone close enough to him to challenge his shot when he gets a pass.

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I am sure that Rajon Rondo will be fine.

Whatever changes he may need to make next season will be done, because he loves this game AND he loves this team.

And he (and BOS) will be better because of it.

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2013, 07:49:56 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Not really. The team got off to a slow start last year as well. Eventually Doc would have shortened the rotations and had more set rotations and we'd have started playing better.

Yeah, I noticed this too.  I started wondering why I bother watching the C's before the ASB at all.  Doc sticks with things that aren't working early in the season, until it either works (like AB) or it gets worked out in the rotation around the midpoint.

Perk was quoted in Dec saying don't worry, the C's will have a 10 game win streak in January.  Well, it was late, and it was only 7 games, but the rotation shortened, roles became clear, everyone played to their strengths (hello, JET and Green), and wins ensued.

This streak was a testament to the depth of the roster.  We had quite a few rotation guys.  Now, it's time to get serious. 

See the veteran champs KG, Pierce, and JTerry stepping up?

See the youth and energy of Bradley and an engaged Green?

Think we're one piece away, and it isn't Rondo's skillset we're missing?

I say we try like hell to put a winner around these guys, who clearly want and deserve another shot.  Miami is the biggest roadblock, and we're built to beat them.

Trade Rondo for 75cents:  An injured all-star for a mid-level big like Gortat or Dalembert, and a backup guard.

Who cares whether he gets it or not.  We're okay.

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I think you're kidding yourself if you think that people stick with players like Bradley and Lee when they don't have the ball. Heck, watch all the wide open shots KG gets, he's standing still on the perimeter without anyone close enough to him to challenge his shot when he gets a pass.
You are completely missing the point.  I know defenders aren't sticking to Bradley and lee when they don't have the ball.  They wouldn't be playing team defense if they did.  But they are within a few steps and only leave those guys when the defense is compromised.  If someone beats their man, certainly they come down to prevent penetration.

That is NOT what happens when rondo.  In many cases, defenders are nowhere near him.  They overplay the guy with the ball and don't even bother trying to close out if rondo does get the ball.

Like I said, rondo is a different creature completely off the ball than lee and Bradley.  If you can't see that I'm not sure what to say.

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You are completely missing the point.  I know defenders aren't sticking to Bradley and lee when they don't have the ball.  They wouldn't be playing team defense if they did.  But they are within a few steps and only leave those guys when the defense is compromised.  If someone beats their man, certainly they come down to prevent penetration.

That is NOT what happens when rondo.  In many cases, defenders are nowhere near him.  They overplay the guy with the ball and don't even bother trying to close out if rondo does get the ball.

Like I said, rondo is a different creature completely off the ball than lee and Bradley.  If you can't see that I'm not sure what to say.

You're talking about a different kind of playing off the ball. Rondo wouldn't be standing in the corner while PP or someone else runs the offense for a play or two, he'll still be handling the ball quite a bit, making cuts and running off of screens.

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Two Boston sportswriters with whom it's generally smart not to disagree when it comes to the Celtics:

Bob Ryan and Jackie MacMullen.

Agreed....when it comes to the history of the 80s Celtics...their opinions now don't carry much weight over anyone else's at all to be quite honest

I disagree strongly.

Jackie is better plugged in to what's going on in the Celtics organization than pretty much anybody.

Bob Ryan still knows what he's talking about.

Jackie is decent...bob ryans personal opinion doesn't mean anything...did you not read when I said he wasn't a fan of the kg trade and thought we'd barely make the playoffs in 2007?
but bob Ryan thought it, must be true!

Epic fail

I didn't say the man is always right.  I just said that when it comes to the Celtics, I respect his opinion more than almost anybody else in sports media.  He knows what he's talking about. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

This is false.  Nobody completely ignores Rondo whether the ball is in his hands or not.  You simply don't forget about the other team's best player, even if he's not a great shooter. 

My pet peeve (and it's not just as it pertains to Rondo) is when falsehoods get restated so many times that everybody starts to think they are true. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson