Author Topic: Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn  (Read 14024 times)

Re: Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Well, this thread was as predictable as the sun rising in the morning ...

I know, yet another thread bashing Rondo based on someone's baseless claims about knowing what Rondo's thinking. Hardly a rarity.

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

haha... which one's aren't?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I know, yet another thread bashing Rondo based on someone's baseless claims about knowing what Rondo's thinking. Hardly a rarity.
Yes, criticizing Rondo based on how he actually plays works so much better -- retorts typically vary between, "You don't know whether that's how he wants to play" and, "Doc made him!"
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 01:14:35 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Jackie Mac's still got close connections to the team, so I'd believe her vs. Ryan, who has no inside ties to the team and is just an outside observer. Jackie's got a better relationship with Rondo (and other Celtics) than arguably any other big-time sports journalist, so I would treat her as the best source re: Rondo. Not knocking Ryan...but he is purely speculating, which is what passes as sports journalism these days (also, journalism in general).

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yes, criticizing Rondo based on how he actually plays works so much better -- retorts typically vary between, "You don't know whether that's how he wants to play" and, "Doc made him!"

Clearly Doc has no input at all on the offense, it's all on Rondo.

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Two Boston sportswriters with whom it's generally smart not to disagree when it comes to the Celtics:

Bob Ryan and Jackie MacMullen.

Agreed....when it comes to the history of the 80s Celtics...their opinions now don't carry much weight over anyone else's at all to be quite honest

I disagree strongly.

Jackie is better plugged in to what's going on in the Celtics organization than pretty much anybody.

Bob Ryan still knows what he's talking about.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Two Boston sportswriters with whom it's generally smart not to disagree when it comes to the Celtics:

Agreed....when it comes to the history of the 80s Celtics...their opinions now don't carry much weight over anyone else's at all to be quite honest

I disagree strongly.

Jackie is better plugged in to what's going on in the Celtics organization than pretty much anybody.

Bob Ryan still knows what he's talking about.

Jackie is decent...bob ryans personal opinion doesn't mean anything...did you not read when I said he wasn't a fan of the kg trade and thought we'd barely make the playoffs in 2007?
but bob Ryan thought it, must be true!

Epic fail
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:54:42 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Bob Ryan has been a negative nancy for the past 10 years.

In all actuality, No one knows what will happen when Rondo comes back.

Will he come back and play like the team does now?
Or will he revert back to the ball pounding offense?

Who knows?
Either way, I'm excited to see it.

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He's right. Rondo needs to grow up. It's discussed year after year, and not much changes. If seeing how much his teammates enjoy playing without him won't, nothing will.

Grow up how exactly? Never been in trouble off the court, doesn't throw Russell Westbrook like tantrums, or demand trades and quit like Chris Paul or get coaches fired and make them retire like deron Williams.

He's actually pretty poker faced and boring for his age

A 7 game sample size without him doesn't all of a sudden disprove the last 3 seasons of constant improvement and being one of the league's best point guards and playoff performers, sorry

TP.

Rondo has his moments when his emotions can get the best of him (see: Bump-Gate), but people like to act like he's the only guy in the league who does that. I think Rondo's maturity has come a long way - its clearly something that's a work in progress,  but you can see he's making an effort.

Being a leader doesn't always come naturally,  sometimes it takes work. Paul Pierce, anyone?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Jackie mac said a few days ago on Comcast that Rondo gets it now. She talked to people in the c's organization and they said Rondo wants to fit in better after seeing the little win streak .

So do you believe Ryan who is just stating his opinion , or Jackie Mac who actually talked to people in the organization ?

I believe that Jackie talked to people in the organization and that those people believe that Rondo has changed.

And I believe that Bob Ryan is sincere when he expresses his doubts.  And I think his opinion on such things is worth listening to.
so does that mean you're acknowledging JM has a better insight through actual discussion with insiders than BR who's just spouting opinion without doing any research with Rondo or the team? 

Jackie Mac has an excellent reputation for researching a topic and not going off half-cocked (no pun intended) on just her opinion.  I think she's more likely to be right than Ryan whose standards of reporting seem to have slipped in the past few years.

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
The all-bold posts are getting old.

Normally today, people start topics in bold,  in order to show who is the poster of the topic...Grow up man, grow upppp!

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 02:26:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The all-bold posts are getting old.

Normally today, people start topics in bold,  in order to show who is the poster of the topic...Grow up man, grow upppp!
that's not how it's done here, now or earlier.  besides, if anyone wants to see the poster of the topic, they can just go to the top of the first page -- you know, common sense   ::)

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 02:49:55 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

I disagree strongly.
But I see a very awful thing in this forum. Everybody who is being critic about Rondo is going to be attacked in person, without making debate facing facts and arguments.

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

I disagree strongly.
But I see a very awful thing in this forum. Everybody who is being critic about Rondo is going to be attacked in person, without making debate facing facts and arguments.

Bob Ryan wasn't a fan of the kg trade?

Didn't think the 07 team would make the playoffs?

Bob Ryan isn't being critical of rondo, he's stating an unfounded, non factual personal opinion and apparently some think because he's bob Ryan he's stating a fact after deep investigative reporting.he's retired...he cannot correctly predict what rondo will do in anyway better then me or you.

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I am not saying Rondo CAN'T change.  I am not saying Rondo Won'T change.  Because frankly, I really have no idea.

But here is the important question.  If Rondo DID change, then what kind of value would he bring to the team.  Off thd ball, he isn't really very much help at all to the team.  Guys will double off of him and his presence will probably hurt the offense more than it helps.

So basically, we either committ to Rondo and let him be Rondo or we don't.