Author Topic: Pick 2: Draft Order (order for Coaches round posted on pg 204)  (Read 484434 times)

Re: Pick 2: Draft Order for teams and picks
« Reply #795 on: February 17, 2013, 05:22:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So I just finished my spreadsheet for this draft after not having one for the first time during the CB Draft.

Its got the 11 round draft with draft positions, all teams with owners listed, those teams keepers and/or current players, a list of every available player from the NBA this season, my roster with a salary cap breakdown, and a list of what I think are the top available 20 players at each position.

If you don't have one I'm more than willing to email this to you.

Do me a favor and send one my way.

roy@celticsblog.com

I haven't analyzed this draft at all, and I know that you and I view most players similarly.
Sent it out. The top players at each position aren't exactly where I would place all of them, but I couldn't send out all my secrets. For instance, I don't rate the center I have rated 4th that high. There's a bunch others like that but for the most part I think those players are amongst the best at their position

« Reply #796 on: February 17, 2013, 05:23:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
"So that you new guys know, it is an unwritten rule during these drafts not to talk about players that haven't been drafted or picked."

Well, if it's unwritten I suppose we can still break it?
Or should we just add it to the rules?

Unwritten rules are silly imo. Everyone should have the right to information! :P
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #797 on: February 17, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So that you new guys know, it is an unwritten rule during these drafts not to talk about players that haven't been drafted or picked.

Fair enough, makes sense.

I could easily see people trying to intentionally play down a players value to cause them to fall in the draft.  Or on the other hand, talk up a players value, tricking someone else into drafting a player too soon.

A little underhanded I suppose.

The tricky thing about playing down a player's value is that eventually, you might end up having to defend them. So if you play down a player's value (like for instance, if this draft were competitive, and I faced the Sixers in the first round of the playoffs with a team built around Kyrie Irving as its best player, I'd be pretty screwed.*

*For those new or forgetful, I dramatically played up Jrue Holiday's seemingly superman-like ability to defend Kyrie Irving this past summer in the CB Draft.

Then you better hold on to Tristian Thompson....

I'm a hundred percent sincere on Thompson. I think he's got a real chance at being a 16 and 10 guy on a good team, dirty-work kinda guy. I don't think he's got a chance to be a top 3 positional guy or anything, at least without a jumpshot that gets above 40% from 15 feet.

But look at this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=thomptr01&y1=2013&p2=farieke01&y2=2013

Pretty close.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #798 on: February 17, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
"So that you new guys know, it is an unwritten rule during these drafts not to talk about players that haven't been drafted or picked."

Unwritten rules are silly imo. Everyone should have the right to information! :P

You're new at this, so let's say its a rule. Try not to mention undrafted players. It might seem silly, but if you've got your eye on a guy, and someone else mentions the guy right before your pick, and the guy in front of you snags him, that'll get you hot.

Trust me, it sucks.

« Reply #799 on: February 17, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

You're new at this, so let's say its a rule. Try not to mention undrafted players. It might seem silly, but if you've got your eye on a guy, and someone else mentions the guy right before your pick, and the guy in front of you snags him, that'll get you hot.

Trust me, it sucks.

I totally know what you mean, because I know I'm trying to keep some names hidden so I can get them at 1.15 ;)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #800 on: February 17, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • Derrick Rose is year-to-year
So that you new guys know, it is an unwritten rule during these drafts not to talk about players that haven't been drafted or picked.

I could easily see people trying to intentionally play down a players value to cause them to fall in the draft.  Or on the other hand, talk up a players value, tricking someone else into drafting a player too soon.

The tricky thing about playing down a player's value is that eventually, you might end up having to defend them. So if you play down a player's value (like for instance, if this draft were competitive, and I faced the Sixers in the first round of the playoffs with a team built around Kyrie Irving as its best player, I'd be pretty screwed.*

*For those new or forgetful, I dramatically played up Jrue Holiday's seemingly superman-like ability to defend Kyrie Irving this past summer in the CB Draft.

I'm a hundred percent sincere on Thompson. I think he's got a real chance at being a 16 and 10 guy on a good team, dirty-work kinda guy. I don't think he's got a chance to be a top 3 positional guy or anything, at least without a jumpshot that gets above 40% from 15 feet.

But look at this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=thomptr01&y1=2013&p2=farieke01&y2=2013

Pretty close.

Very close but Faried has the FG% and an image of a workhouse and a flat out animal that puts him further over the top
CB Draft: Golden State Warriors - 14.23
PG: Bledsoe/Lin/ Harris
SG: Beal/ Henderson/ Ingram
SF: Winslow/McDermott/
PF: Turner/ Acy / Hernangomez
C: Adams/ Turner/ McRoberts
DKC Nets: http://tinyurl.com/h5mdvwj

« Reply #801 on: February 17, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Jrue Holiday and Josh Smith on trade block

« Reply #802 on: February 17, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So I just finished my spreadsheet for this draft after not having one for the first time during the CB Draft.

Its got the 11 round draft with draft positions, all teams with owners listed, those teams keepers and/or current players, a list of every available player from the NBA this season, my roster with a salary cap breakdown, and a list of what I think are the top available 20 players at each position.

roy@celticsblog.com

I haven't analyzed this draft at all, and I know that you and I view most players similarly.
Sent it out. The top players at each position aren't exactly where I would place all of them, but I couldn't send out all my secrets. For instance, I don't rate the center I have rated 4th that high. There's a bunch others like that but for the most part I think those players are amongst the best at their position

Yeah, you did a nice job Nick.

I've already made a few changes, though.  I'm currently re-ordering the player rankings with some "secret" data imported from am outside source, and added player salaries.

« Reply #803 on: February 17, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

But look at this:

Pretty close.

Very close but Faried has the FG% and an image of a workhouse and a flat out animal that puts him further over the top
Not to mention the stats being compared have no context. Faried is on a contender doing what he is doing, Thompson is on one of the worst teams in the league. Faried is one of the more limited offensive players and worse defensive players in the league and yet Thompson numbers are worse in those areas.

They are both young and have time to develop but I think Thompson is getting a bit of hype here. Big numbers on a bad team doesn't always equate to the same thing when put on good teams. There's a bunch of players that can attest to that.

The numbers are close though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:43:48 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #804 on: February 17, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

roy@celticsblog.com

I've already made a few changes, though.  I'm currently re-ordering the player rankings with some "secret" data imported from am outside source, and added player salaries.
Yeah, I am all set with the salary figures. Too much of a chore, IMHO.

« Reply #805 on: February 17, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
Well if you build with him in mind I can create a team that is just going to run people into the floor

« Reply #806 on: February 17, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

roy@celticsblog.com

Yeah, I am all set with the salary figures. Too much of a chore, IMHO.

As if you need to worry about it

« Reply #807 on: February 17, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
Well its also not like the you cant also take advantage of an extra 13 million either... I had no idea of these differences until this draft

« Reply #808 on: February 17, 2013, 05:53:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

But look at this:

Pretty close.

Not to mention the stats being compared have no context. Faried is on a contender doing what he is doing, Thompson is on one of the worst teams in the league. Faried is one of the more limited offensive players and worse defensive players in the league and yet Thompson numbers are worse in those areas.

They are both young and have time to develop but I think Thompson is getting a bit of Jeff Green hype here. Big numbers on a bad team doesn't always equate to the same thing when put on good teams.

Absolutely fair. Its too early to give the verdict on either guy, and caution is completely warranted when giving praise to any player on a rebuilding team.

The stats also don't really tell the whole story for Thompson there though either. If you look at how he's stepped up after (undrafted player) went down, his numbers are actually better scoring-wise (52.6% from the field, 55.5 TS%,  14.9 pts).

Thompson is getting his points through hustle, tough offensive rebounding, and elite level finishing around the rim. His defense and rebounding are both looking very, very good considering his age, and there is cause to think it can get better.

That's why I'm optimistic. He's finally caught his wave, so now he's riding it. That's why I'm hopeful. Can he do it on a contender? Who knows.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:59:31 PM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #809 on: February 17, 2013, 06:34:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

But look at this:

Pretty close.

They are both young and have time to develop but I think Thompson is getting a bit of Jeff Green hype here. Big numbers on a bad team doesn't always equate to the same thing when put on good teams.

Absolutely fair. Its too early to give the verdict on either guy, and caution is completely warranted when giving praise to any player on a rebuilding team.

The stats also don't really tell the whole story for Thompson there though either. If you look at how he's stepped up after (undrafted player) went down, his numbers are actually better scoring-wise (52.6% from the field, 55.5 TS%,  14.9 pts).

Thompson is getting his points through hustle, tough offensive rebounding, and elite level finishing around the rim. His defense and rebounding are both looking very, very good considering his age, and there is cause to think it can get better.

That's why I'm optimistic. He's finally caught his wave, so now he's riding it. That's why I'm hopeful. Can he do it on a contender? Who knows.
I love the way he has picked up his game since (undrafted player) went down. Very impressive.

I feel for you IP because if you didn't have to pick him, and given the state of the Cleveland team, you really did HAVE to pick him, he probably doesn't get picked until the 3rd round or later here.