Author Topic: Will Warriors pursue Paul Pierce? Will Clippers add extra for KG?  (Read 6914 times)

Re: Will Warriors pursue Paul Pierce? Will Clippers add extra for KG?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 02:51:47 AM »

Offline soboston

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I would prefer Klay Thompson over Harrison Barnes. Plus Jeff Green has better size for the sf spot.  Barnes is only 210 lbs.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:48 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
what do you mean add extra for kg? the clippers are not persuing KG, the rumors were false according to every doc, danny, and everyone

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 04:28:53 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I wouldn't do it - as Ainge has said, KG and Pierce are more valuable to us then they are to other teams.  No other team is going to offer a valuable deal for those guys.

I would actually much rather trade Rondo - even with the injury he still has higher trade value than either Perice or KG, because only contending teams will have an interest in the vets while everybody would be interested in Rondo.  Even hurt, they will see him as a guy wh can sit out, and then turn them into contenders next season.

For us both KG and Pierce are on pretty hefty contracts, around $25M combined.  Once those two guys finish their careers here we let their contracts run out, and then we have $30M in cap space (Terry will likely retire at the same time) free.  If we could get a young stud like Eric Gordon in return for Rondo we have our future scorer, and we can make a run at some All-Star calibre players in two years time.   We already have a great collection of future support players (Bradley, Lee, Green, Sullinger) so if we add a guy like Gordon to that group and then add one or two All-Star calibure guys in two years time we are pretty much set.

We really need a player who we can build around for the future, and Rondo (good as he is) isn't that guy. Neither Pierce or KG will get us a potential franchise player, but Rondo could.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 04:36:31 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I wouldn't do it - as Ainge has said, KG and Pierce are more valuable to us then they are to other teams.  No other team is going to offer a valuable deal for those guys.

I would actually much rather trade Rondo - even with the injury he still has higher trade value than either Perice or KG, because only contending teams will have an interest in the vets while everybody would be interested in Rondo.  Even hurt, they will see him as a guy wh can sit out, and then turn them into contenders next season.

For us both KG and Pierce are on pretty hefty contracts, around $25M combined.  Once those two guys finish their careers here we let their contracts run out, and then we have $30M in cap space (Terry will likely retire at the same time) free.  If we could get a young stud like Eric Gordon in return for Rondo we have our future scorer, and we can make a run at some All-Star calibre players in two years time.   We already have a great collection of future support players (Bradley, Lee, Green, Sullinger) so if we add a guy like Gordon to that group and then add one or two All-Star calibure guys in two years time we are pretty much set.

We really need a player who we can build around for the future, and Rondo (good as he is) isn't that guy. Neither Pierce or KG will get us a potential franchise player, but Rondo could.

If your going to go that far get Kyrie or the next big franchise player you think is worth the max.

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 04:46:44 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I can't see Golden State giving up Barnes.  Pierce's decline as a scorer (even though he remains a very good defender and facilitator) means he's not going to push Golden State over the top.  With all their really good young players, Golden State shouldn't be playing for the short window. 

Barnes isn't putting up big numbers but he's been about the sixth or seventh option behind Curry, Lee, Jack, Thompson, Landry and now Bogut most nights, if that.  Even on nights when he's had a good first quarter or good first half, it's hit or miss whether he's even going to play much the rest of the way or even get any touches.  He's really been on some nights and if had been on a much less talented team, he could've put up big numbers, got his momentum really going and upped his league-wide reputation.  What's promising about him is that his biggest weakness coming out of college, his ineffectivness driving to the rim, hasn't been a weakness.  He's completed more athletic layups and explosive dunks than he did his two years at UNC.  Since also he possesses a good outside shot and post game, he looks like he can develop into a very solid wing and potentially an all-star.  There's no way Golden State gives him up for someone as old as Pierce.   

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 05:00:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

If your going to go that far get Kyrie or the next big franchise player you think is worth the max.

I'd be happy to do that as well, but we have pretty much zero chance of prying Kyrie away from Cleveland for an injured Rondo.

Gordon on the other hand, we probably have a pretty decent chance of getting.  I can see him being an elite scorer in a few years time (like AI, Monta Ellis, Gilbert Arenas in their primes) and right now out biggest weakness is our offense.

If we can pick up a high calibre offensive player (who has the potential to become an elite offensive player) without losing any key defensive players, then that's the type of move that can help us right now AND in the future.

For NO it probably makes sense because they are in rebuild mode right now anyway, so it makes sense for them to tank so that they can get high picks in the draft and start fresh next season.  The fact that Rondo is out until next season probably doesn't phase them at all, but I'm sure they would love to have a pure PG with playoff experience to play alongside their young guys (especially Anthony Davis).

Rondo is an outstanding player, but we are a mediocre offensive team with him or without him.  We need someone who can give us 18 - 20 points per night on a consistent basis to take pressure off Pierce and KG.

To Paraphrase Batman, Rondo is the Hero Boston deserves, but not the one it needs. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:05:35 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 05:55:09 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
no caron butler please

no...........

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I can't see Golden State giving up Barnes.  Pierce's decline as a scorer (even though he remains a very good defender and facilitator) means he's not going to push Golden State over the top.  With all their really good young players, Golden State shouldn't be playing for the short window. 

Barnes isn't putting up big numbers but he's been about the sixth or seventh option behind Curry, Lee, Jack, Thompson, Landry and now Bogut most nights, if that.  Even on nights when he's had a good first quarter or good first half, it's hit or miss whether he's even going to play much the rest of the way or even get any touches.  He's really been on some nights and if had been on a much less talented team, he could've put up big numbers, got his momentum really going and upped his league-wide reputation.  What's promising about him is that his biggest weakness coming out of college, his ineffectivness driving to the rim, hasn't been a weakness.  He's completed more athletic layups and explosive dunks than he did his two years at UNC.  Since also he possesses a good outside shot and post game, he looks like he can develop into a very solid wing and potentially an all-star.  There's no way Golden State gives him up for someone as old as Pierce.

Money.

Add to the fact that he's putting an excellent effort in playing defense. For once the Dubs had a wing who can and is willing to play D. He'll become better at it because he has the athletic tools to improve on that side of the ball as well. All these is why Barnes will not be traded for Paul.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 07:07:14 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why would the Celtics give up a 1st in a rebooting trade?

Would not do the Clippers trade.  Overpayed C and another small G to go along with Rondo and AB just isn't worth it.

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 07:18:20 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I don't think getting Barnes, Bledsoe, and Jordan for KG & PP in those trades is unreasonable.  They're all really good young players who MAY someday evolve into great players, but KG/PP can put you over into championship contention(well, not GS)and the tradeoff would be equitable.
Then if you could ship RR to Phoenix for is 7 & 13 picks in this draft(?), you'd have Bledsoe,Bradley,Barnes, JGreen, Sully, Jordan, and THREE 1st round draft picks in the top 15.  If that's not a great jump on rebuilding, you're bar may be set a little too high! ;) ;D 8)

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 07:24:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I can't see Golden State giving up Barnes. Pierce's decline as a scorer (even though he remains a very good defender and facilitator) means he's not going to push Golden State over the top.  With all their really good young players, Golden State shouldn't be playing for the short window. 

You just stated the #1 reason why they wouldn't need Pierce for and the #1 reasons why they WOULD need him. And its not for his scoring. GS has plenty of fire power. The issue is lack of defense , at time someone else to facilitate the offense other than curry and lastly the confident vet experience. Pierce has won a ring and pretty much knows what to do , to get into the playoffs. How many players can you say the same on the GS team? Maybe outside of Jefferson thats it. On top of this though with their offensive firepower, they are lacking that one go to guy in the 4th, again here is where Pierce steps in. (though curry is very good also)

Barnes, Thompson are great kids, but 1) lack experience 2) are not paul pierce... not yet anyways. Like i already mentioned , if gs doesn't get the franchise moving forward and make it in to the playoffs this year, all that effort by lee , curry and progress of other young nice players will go to waste.

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 07:29:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think getting Barnes, Bledsoe, and Jordan for KG & PP in those trades is unreasonable.  They're all really good young players who MAY someday evolve into great players, but KG/PP can put you over into championship contention(well, not GS)and the tradeoff would be equitable.
Then if you could ship RR to Phoenix for is 7 & 13 picks in this draft(?), you'd have Bledsoe,Bradley,Barnes, JGreen, Sully, Jordan, and THREE 1st round draft picks in the top 15.  If that's not a great jump on rebuilding, you're bar may be set a little too high! ;) ;D 8)

totally , though i do think if Clippers are giving up two significant positions for a significant vet, they would ask for a 1st. What if KG retires after this season?

If Josh Smith gets traded to phx, i would like us the trade Rondo to them and get a 1st at least. Trade the jet to Denver or something for a 1st.  Get a lotto pick

We wouldn't be as good as team as three years ago obviously but we would be nowhere as bad as we were 4 years ago before the big three. 

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39:02 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Hate to say yes but i would do it..then go sign Josh Smith this summer.
C-Jordan
PF-Smith
SG-Green
SG-Bradley
PG-Rondo
Bench
Terry
Barnes
Bass
Bledsoe
Sully
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I would want Klay Thompson! I have a man crush on his game!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Boston will not have cap space to offer anything more than a MLE type contract until the summer of 2015 without making trades (and that is if KG and PP retire before then).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip