Author Topic: Shelvin Mack sounds like he gets it.  (Read 1868 times)

Shelvin Mack sounds like he gets it.
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Quote from: Shelvin Mack
The biggest thing I know with the system is, it's not about individual stats. It's all about championships and competing at a high level. I'm a big fan of defense. Everyone can score points but a lot of things come down to effort and being able to play defense.

EDIT: I just realized this is on the CB homepage, but still it's worth talking about. I'm up for giving the kid a shot.

Re: Shelvin Mack sounds like he gets it.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sure, give him a shot, why not?  More upside than bringing in a walking corpse like Derek Fisher.

Everybody needs to be real here, though.  Barbosa may have been a late veteran minimum signing for us, but he was a far better player than most veteran minimum types.  He was one of the most productive scorers on the team per-minute, in fact.

With all of that "depth" we had at the beginning of the season, we have none now.  It's maddening.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd do it.  He seems to be dominating in the D league, and sounds like his head is in the right place.

He'd probably jump for the chance to get out of the league and earn a spot on a 'contender' (depending on whether you consider us one). 

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 04:58:13 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Does it really matter if the Celtics sign Mack?  I doubt he will play much.  I assume Lee is going to pick up most of Barbosa's minutes since he's only averaged about 20 minutes in the past three games.   

Mack's played plenty of games in the NBA.  He isn't very good.  He's a shooting guard in a point guard's body but without the skill set or athleticism to play either position well.  Despite what he says about defense, he's fairly slow for a guard and not a good defender.  I can't see Doc looking down the bench and going, "Yeah, I need Mack to handle the ball or defend a position."   

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »

fitzhickey

I actually would like Mack. His head seems to be in the right place, and he is quite young. He is playing well in the d-league

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I think Mack and Flynn would be two great talents to bring in.  Young and hungry.  Smart and agressive.  Great talents for the future too.   Dump rondo for a two young bigs and were set

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:18:48 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Does it really matter if the Celtics sign Mack?  I doubt he will play much.  I assume Lee is going to pick up most of Barbosa's minutes since he's only averaged about 20 minutes in the past three games.   

Mack's played plenty of games in the NBA.  He isn't very good.  He's a shooting guard in a point guard's body but without the skill set or athleticism to play either position well.  Despite what he says about defense, he's fairly slow for a guard and not a good defender.  I can't see Doc looking down the bench and going, "Yeah, I need Mack to handle the ball or defend a position."   

While I agree with your analysis of Mack, the sad truth is that having doc look down the bench and see Mack there is better than having doc look down the bench and see no one there.  Depth is important during a long season in the nba, and we can see why now.

No one is saying Mack will add significant contributions to the celtics, though we all hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Instead, at this stage a body is needed in case of blow out games. Why have lee or terry or Bradley playing during garbage time? That is what happened a few games ago.

And who knows? Maybe Mack will actually do well.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva