Author Topic: Are the lakers self-destructing? nash vs dwight now  (Read 9288 times)

Re: Are the lakers self-destructing? nash vs dwight now
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The worst thing about that exchange (or the best thing, depending on perspective) is that these two are standing around in the back court bickering about an offensive play gone awry instead of getting back on defense while the Heat are fast breaking for an and one.

Kinda sums up the Lakers season thus far. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
The worst thing about that exchange (or the best thing, depending on perspective) is that these two are standing around in the back court bickering about an offensive play gone awry instead of getting back on defense while the Heat are fast breaking for an and one.

Lebron and D-Wade were already running full speed. No need to waste energy when there is nothing they can do.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Lebron and D-Wade were already running full speed. No need to waste energy when there is nothing they can do.

that' s the kind of attitude that loses ballgames....

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I disagree.  They both could have made an effort to get back on D, particularly Howard who had a shot to contest the play if he had turned and sprinted back. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 09:10:43 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
The Lakers aren't bad because they can't get along.  They can't get along because they're bad.

If they were good at basketball there'd be absolutely no problems.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney

I disagree.  They both could have made an effort to get back on D, particularly Howard who had a shot to contest the play if he had turned and sprinted back.

Re-watch the video and you can see that Lebron was 10-15 feet in front of him and accelerating. He's the best basketball player in the world and the Heat's fast break had been drawing comparisons of the Showtime Lakers.

I'm saying that Howard/Nash shouldn't be criticized for not sprinting into a play when their opponents are beyond half court full speed. If they were capable of chasing down Lebron James/Dwayne Wade, and were able to make a play, kudos to them.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11:27 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney

These players are professionals and should pace themselves. You have to know when a play if futile and conserve energy for the next play.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud hustle and relentless energy, but I don't want to criticize someone who doesn't sprint back when the play is futile.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

These players are professionals and should pace themselves. You have to know when a play if futile and conserve energy for the next play.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud hustle and relentless energy, but I don't want to criticize someone who doesn't sprint back when the play is futile.

It just looks bad.  Same when guys give up on an errant pass from a teammate. 
Yup

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 10:42:19 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Personally I think the best part is the look on Nash's face when he realizes that Howard is trying to tell him how to pass the ball. It's at around 0:40.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I've always said Lakers should have never gotten rid of Andrew Bynum. Glad they didn't listen hahaha

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I've always said Lakers should have never gotten rid of Andrew Bynum. Glad they didn't listen hahaha

well, Bynum is even more useless than Howard so far this year. I don't expect Bynum to last in the NBA another 2 years with the knees he has.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 11:23:30 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Re-watch the video and you can see that Lebron was 10-15 feet in front of him and accelerating. He's the best basketball player in the world and the Heat's fast break had been drawing comparisons of the Showtime Lakers.

I'm saying that Howard/Nash shouldn't be criticized for not sprinting into a play when their opponents are beyond half court full speed. If they were capable of chasing down Lebron James/Dwayne Wade, and were able to make a play, kudos to them.

I re-watched the video before posting my last response.  James was ahead of both Nash and Howard when he got the ball, but it wasn't a breakaway.  There were Lakers back.  If you are Dwight Howard and supposed to be the best defensive player in the game, you have to make an effort to get back.  There was a good chance that one of his teammates could have slowed James down enough for him to get back in the play.  The same goes for Nash, really.  Maybe James get forced to kick the ball out to an open shooter. 

The bickering instead of getting back looks bad.  It definitely wasn't a sure two on the other end. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 11:53:48 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney

I re-watched the video before posting my last response.  James was ahead of both Nash and Howard when he got the ball, but it wasn't a breakaway.  There were Lakers back.  If you are Dwight Howard and supposed to be the best defensive player in the game, you have to make an effort to get back.  There was a good chance that one of his teammates could have slowed James down enough for him to get back in the play.  The same goes for Nash, really.  Maybe James get forced to kick the ball out to an open shooter. 

The bickering instead of getting back looks bad.  It definitely wasn't a sure two on the other end.

It's not like they were the last 2 getting back. There were 2 Heat players just standing there, saving their energy. I agree that some effort needs to be used to get back, but sprinting your butt off to do so? It is unnecessary and a waste of energy. As long as your theoretical man is behind you, it's fine.

Also, the majority of the bickering happened after the play was over.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 12:09:51 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Dwight seems to have rubbed everyone on that team the wrong way.