Author Topic: Derrick Rose is "far away"  (Read 5831 times)

Derrick Rose is "far away"
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Derrick Rose has said he is "far away" from returning to the floor. If I was him, I wouldnt come back until next season. And this has me very concern for Rondo also. How long will be out out next season? Said he be back for opening day but i doubt it.
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Derrick Rose is "far away"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:26:08 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Derrick Rose has said he is "far away" from returning to the floor. If I was him, I wouldnt come back until next season. And this has me very concern for Rondo also. How long will be out out next season? Said he be back for opening day but i doubt it.

There has been no setback with Rose's rehab as he's reportedly "in a good place." But on Monday he admitted to only feeling around 85 percent and said he won't return until he's 110 percent. The Bulls certainly won't rush their franchise player, especially since they're coasting along with a 30-21 record. Stashers need to keep expectations in check as Rose's minutes and games played will likely be restricted when he finally does return.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Totally different injuries.  Rose completely tore up his MCL, PCL & ACL.  Rondo partially tore his ACL.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Totally different injuries.  Rose completely tore up his MCL, PCL & ACL.  Rondo partially tore his ACL.
they are, but Rose likely did that damage because he came back too soon the first time.  Knees are tricky things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

There has been no setback with Rose's rehab as he's reportedly "in a good place." But on Monday he admitted to only feeling around 85 percent and said he won't return until he's 110 percent. The Bulls certainly won't rush their franchise player, especially since they're coasting along with a 30-21 record. Stashers need to keep expectations in check as Rose's minutes and games played will likely be restricted when he finally does return.

They weren't coasting along last night when they got tuned up by a depleted Spurs team. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
they are, but Rose likely did that damage because he came back too soon the first time.  Knees are tricky things.

Huh?  I don't recall there being separate injuries to his knee.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Rose was gimpy on his knee all last year.

Then his final catastrophic injury was far worse than Rondos

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If he actually doesn't come back, I like our chances in the East STILL.

If he comes back, they are halved.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree with others -- the Bulls aren't doing anything of consequence this season, even with a recovering Rose on the floor.

Derrick should just call it a lost season and aim to come back next season completely strong and healed.

Luckily, I think we can reasonably expect Rondo's injury to take much less time to recover from.  As others have said, there's a significant difference between a partially torn ACL and a torn ACL, MCL, and PCL.  Rose basically blew out his entire knee.  Rondo's injury, while severe, is not on that level. 

I say all this, of course, based only on what we've been told and from what I know of these kinds of injuries (which admittedly isn't a ton).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
No Rose is bigger news than no Barbosa, because that means we still have a chance to come out of the ECSF alive.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 10:03:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No Rose is bigger news than no Barbosa, because that means we still have a chance to come out of the ECSF alive.

As shallow as this team is, I think it's foolish to look past teams like the Pacers, Knicks, and Nets.  This team is going to have a fight on its hands just to get out of the first round.  Heck, they had to struggle last season. 

How soon we forget -- if Horford and Smith had been healthy for the whole first round last season we probably would've been done in 6 or 7 games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

As shallow as this team is, I think it's foolish to look past teams like the Pacers, Knicks, and Nets.  This team is going to have a fight on its hands just to get out of the first round.  Heck, they had to struggle last season. 

How soon we forget -- if Horford and Smith had been healthy for the whole first round last season we probably would've been done in 6 or 7 games.

I don't think the Hawks/Nets are any tough competition.

The Knicks and Pacers are tougher, and I'd rather face them than Bulls+Rose or Miami... but if we get past the Knicks/Pacers, then we might as well fight it out, right? Chances are, we meet either Bulls/Miami in Round 2, and we give a valiant effort...

Hope that we win the ECSF and fight hard in the ECF still.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 11:07:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Not sure how that is relevant.  The actual tears in his ligaments happened all at once.

Besides, it just proves my point anyway.  Rose's injury was way worse than Rondo's.  No reason to think Rondo should need as much recovery time.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Not sure how that is relevant.  The actual tears in his ligaments happened all at once.
He came back too early with regards to other knee injuries, this made his ultimate catastrophic ligament tears all the more likely as the surrounding tissue and structure weren't right.

That's what Moranis was saying and I was just confirming that he had separate serious knee issues. You clearly didn't recall that aspect of his season last year. His point that you shouldn't rush rehab, or you risk further more catastrophic injuries.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

He came back too early with regards to other knee injuries, this made his ultimate catastrophic ligament tears all the more likely as the surrounding tissue and structure weren't right.

That's what Moranis was saying and I was just confirming that he had separate serious knee issues. You clearly didn't recall that aspect of his season last year. His point that you shouldn't rush rehab, or you risk further more catastrophic injuries.

OK, I'll accept that.  His point, and your's, isn't relevant to mine though.

The OP was, I'm assuming, implying that because Rose is taking a long time to come back from his injury, Rondo will need just as much time possibly.  I'm saying that is highly unlikely, due to the fact Rose's injury was way worse.

Rose came back too early from what was likely a sprain.  It apparently led to him tearing his knee up completely.  Rondo had no such sprain, and subsequent complete "blow out".  The timelines won't likely be the same for the two different injuries.